What's the BS about limiting cameras??? | The Boneyard

What's the BS about limiting cameras???

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I just noticed that the tickets for tonight's game have "No Camera/Recording Devices" printed right on them :(
The XL seems to be limiting photography also. The Gampel and Rent also have restrictions:
upload_2017-12-19_7-23-32.png

Exactly what is the reasoning behind this???

Reaction Score
A couple of seasons ago I came arrived for a pre-season exhibition game at XL with a relatively small backpack. After much haggling with various security personnel, they would not bend and turned me away. Can't ever remember not being allowed to bring a backpack into such a sporting venue. Fortunately, I was able to get a bellman at the Hilton across the street to put it in baggage store for me. So yeah, nothing surprises me about XL.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A couple of seasons ago I came arrived for a pre-season exhibition game at XL with a relatively small backpack. After much haggling with various security personnel, they would not bend and turned me away. Can't ever remember not being allowed to bring a backpack into such a sporting venue. Fortunately, I was able to get a bellman at the Hilton across the street to put it in baggage store for me. So yeah, nothing surprises me about XL.
It's not just the XL - most places where large numbers of people gather have more security. We are living in a different time these days. A little inconvenience makes us all safer.

Reaction Score
I believe it's a UConn policy not an XL, Gampel, Mohegan Sun or Rent policy, it's about UConn's control of their product plain and simple. I don't believe this is anything new, they just have a rule in writing now so there are no questions about what is allowed and what isn't.

Reaction Score
I believe it's a UConn policy not an XL, Gampel, Mohegan Sun or Rent policy, it's about UConn's control of their product plain and simple. I don't believe this is anything new, they just have a rule in writing now so there are no questions about what is allowed and what isn't.
Correct. The bag policy may be about safety, but the rest of it is about media rights management. These same policies are often in effect at concerts for the same reason.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
It's not just the XL - most places where large numbers of people gather have more security. We are living in a different time these days. A little inconvenience makes us all safer.

That is just not true! Another urban myth. I checked our 'local' pro sports teams and went down the list of the 10 men's basketball teams (until I gave up) for their camera policies. I would guess that the crowds at every one of these venues is larger than the XL, Gampel or Sun. The following are all quoted from their websites.

The Patriots' Gillette Stadium
Cameras: Still cameras are allowed (without case). All video cameras are prohibited. Detachable lenses on still cameras may be detached during inspection.

Yankee's policy:
upload_2017-12-19_9-10-25.png

Red Sox:
Cameras and video cameras are permitted but cannot be used to reproduce the game and must not interfere with other fans' enjoyment of the game.

Syracuse University:
Video footage and photographs of competitions denoted above is permitted granted such filming does not interfere with the event.

University of Nebraska:
Camera use is permitted but the camera must pass size restrictions of gate security containers. ... larger than 13.5 inches by 10 inches by 7 inches will not be allowed in the stadium

Villanova only says they are subject to search and you can't throw them.

Michigan State
no Camcorders and tripods and selfie-sticks

Arizona State University
Cameras in which the length of the lens is smaller than the width of the base unit(my camera is ~ 6" wide)

Duke
Hand-held still cameras are permitted for personal use only. No cameras with a lens longer than four (4) inches are permitted into Cameron Indoor Stadium

University of North Carolina
May fans carry cameras, binoculars, smart phones or tablets separately from what they put in a clear bag?
Yes. Phones, tablets, binoculars or cameras (as long as they are not in a bag or a case) may be carried into the arena.

University of Miami (and the NFL Dolphins)
The NFL, the Miami Dolphins and the University of Miami are committed to protecting public safety at Sun Life Stadium. This is an important step in achieving that.
They also will continue to be able to carry items allowed into the stadium, such as binoculars, cameras, and smart phones.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score

"control of their product"??? They are fully protected by US Copyright laws. I can not take a picture of the team or a player and go sell it. I can take one for my personal use (put on my wall, make my screensaver, etc). Wouldn't UConn want to encourage this? How are they hurt by Danny taking pictures from the stands?

Just because they CAN put a rule in writing doesn't mean they should. There should be a reason. The post 9/11 "its about security" surely gets overused especially when there is no justification for it...

btw this is an old issue for me:

August 16, 2005

Jeffrey Hathaway
Director of Athletics

Division of Athletics

Storrs, CT 06269-3078

Dear Mr. Hathaway,

I would like to photograph the UConn football games from our seats. Yesterday I received my invitation to attend the MVP bus trip to the UConn – Army game at the Academy. A gesture I certainly appreciate & look forward to attending. This morning I called the athletic department at West Point to ask if it was ok to bring a camera & long lens to photograph the game. They have no problem with that.

Last year when I was stopped at Rentschler Field and prevented from bringing my camera inside the facility I called the UConn Athletic Office to find out what the reason was for this rule. I was told by UConn that this was a rule by MSG and I should call them. I did. I spoke to a Jack Freeman from MSG management. He said the person who told me it was an MSG rule was absolutely wrong and it was actually an NCAA rule that the people at UConn should know that. My next call was to the NCAA. I spoke to Damani Leech from NCAA Football. He told me that the NCAA has NO rules about fan football photography during regular season.

Just to see what other big time football programs do concerning this issue I made a few more calls. I called the University of Miami, Syracuse University, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Oklahoma State and about 6 other schools. Not one of them prevents fans from photographing from their seats. I have attended New York Yankee and Boston Red Sox games where I was able to photograph the action.

Rentschler Field is a State of Connecticut facility. The University of Connecticut is, well, a state university.

I would like to photograph the UConn football games from our seats this year. Can you help me?

Very truly yours,

To his credit Jeff called me the day he received the letter and CHANGED the policy at the Rent, effective immediately.

And two years later:

September 27, 2007

Jeffrey Hathaway
Director of Athletics

Division of Athletics

Storrs, CT 06269-3078

Dear Mr. Hathaway,

Two years ago I wrote requesting your help to get the photography policies at the Hartford Civic Center and Rentschler changed so that I, a season ticket holder and avid amateur photographer, could photograph UConn Football and Basketball games. You were more than gracious and from what you said in your voice mail to me you had the policies modeled after those of Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park (both locations I have photographed from). Thus I have been able to, for the last two years photograph games at both locations with no restrictions on lens length.

The policy at Rentschler field has apparently not changed:

Cameras & Video Equipment Policy: Single-frame and flash photography are allowed. Video cameras and hand-held video equipment are prohibited. Neither lighting nor camera support pods are permitted to be used by Guests at the Stadium. Camera equipment may not obstruct the view or path of travel of others. Fans are not allowed to reproduce or re-broadcast any film of events, concerts or UConn games for commercial purposes without the written permission of Northland AEG LLC or the University of Connecticut and the NCAA.

However the policies at the Civic Center as listed on their website has:

Cameras & Video Equipment Policy
Single-frame and flash photography are allowed. Cameras with detachable lenses or lenses that exceed 90mm are not allowed. Video cameras and hand-held video equipment are prohibited. Neither lighting nor camera support pods are permitted to be used by Guests at the Hartford Civic Center. Camera equipment may not obstruct the view or path of travel of others. Fans are not allowed to reproduce or re-broadcast any film of events, concerts or UConn games for commercial purposes without the written permission of Madison Square Garden, CT or the University of Connecticut and the NCAA.

The highlighted portion concerning lens length is what has changed back to their original policy. I usually shoot with a 300mm lens and not once in 27 years of shooting UConn basketball has anyone in an adjoining or nearby seat objected. In fact I have been asked and have given images away to my ‘neighbors’ who ask.

Can you help to get this policy changed back to eliminate this unnecessary restriction?

Very truly yours,

Jeff also responded immediately and and had the policy changed for UConn basketball at the Civic Center.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
UCLA has what's called a "clear bag policy". Not only no backpacks of any size, but no purses either. You either put your stuff in a clear bag, or you are turned away. Period. No exceptions.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

I remember when the Bears (or maybe it was NFL-wide?) went to a clear bag policy. I never carry a bag anyway so it didn't affect me. As a bad person, I did get a good deal of entertainment out of watching women find out that yes the bag policy applied to *them* and their purses.

I'm not sure why the camera rule is in place. I guess to make sure you aren't taking better pictures than the "official" ones from the credentialed media?

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
So ctfjr is passionate about photography, what's wrong with that? Not only that he writes a cogent, persuasive letter. These days that's impressive.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
"control of their product"??? They are fully protected by US Copyright laws. I can not take a picture of the team or a player and go sell it. I can take one for my personal use (put on my wall, make my screensaver, etc). Wouldn't UConn want to encourage this? How are they hurt by Danny taking pictures from the stands?

Just because they CAN put a rule in writing doesn't mean they should. There should be a reason. The post 9/11 "its about security" surely gets overused especially when there is no justification for it...

btw this is an old issue for me:

August 16, 2005

Jeffrey Hathaway
Director of Athletics

Division of Athletics

Storrs, CT 06269-3078

Dear Mr. Hathaway,

I would like to photograph the UConn football games from our seats. Yesterday I received my invitation to attend the MVP bus trip to the UConn – Army game at the Academy. A gesture I certainly appreciate & look forward to attending. This morning I called the athletic department at West Point to ask if it was ok to bring a camera & long lens to photograph the game. They have no problem with that.

Last year when I was stopped at Rentschler Field and prevented from bringing my camera inside the facility I called the UConn Athletic Office to find out what the reason was for this rule. I was told by UConn that this was a rule by MSG and I should call them. I did. I spoke to a Jack Freeman from MSG management. He said the person who told me it was an MSG rule was absolutely wrong and it was actually an NCAA rule that the people at UConn should know that. My next call was to the NCAA. I spoke to Damani Leech from NCAA Football. He told me that the NCAA has NO rules about fan football photography during regular season.

Just to see what other big time football programs do concerning this issue I made a few more calls. I called the University of Miami, Syracuse University, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Oklahoma State and about 6 other schools. Not one of them prevents fans from photographing from their seats. I have attended New York Yankee and Boston Red Sox games where I was able to photograph the action.

Rentschler Field is a State of Connecticut facility. The University of Connecticut is, well, a state university.

I would like to photograph the UConn football games from our seats this year. Can you help me?

Very truly yours,

To his credit Jeff called me the day he received the letter and CHANGED the policy at the Rent, effective immediately.

And two years later:

September 27, 2007

Jeffrey Hathaway
Director of Athletics

Division of Athletics

Storrs, CT 06269-3078

Dear Mr. Hathaway,

Two years ago I wrote requesting your help to get the photography policies at the Hartford Civic Center and Rentschler changed so that I, a season ticket holder and avid amateur photographer, could photograph UConn Football and Basketball games. You were more than gracious and from what you said in your voice mail to me you had the policies modeled after those of Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park (both locations I have photographed from). Thus I have been able to, for the last two years photograph games at both locations with no restrictions on lens length.

The policy at Rentschler field has apparently not changed:

Cameras & Video Equipment Policy: Single-frame and flash photography are allowed. Video cameras and hand-held video equipment are prohibited. Neither lighting nor camera support pods are permitted to be used by Guests at the Stadium. Camera equipment may not obstruct the view or path of travel of others. Fans are not allowed to reproduce or re-broadcast any film of events, concerts or UConn games for commercial purposes without the written permission of Northland AEG LLC or the University of Connecticut and the NCAA.

However the policies at the Civic Center as listed on their website has:

Cameras & Video Equipment Policy
Single-frame and flash photography are allowed. Cameras with detachable lenses or lenses that exceed 90mm are not allowed. Video cameras and hand-held video equipment are prohibited. Neither lighting nor camera support pods are permitted to be used by Guests at the Hartford Civic Center. Camera equipment may not obstruct the view or path of travel of others. Fans are not allowed to reproduce or re-broadcast any film of events, concerts or UConn games for commercial purposes without the written permission of Madison Square Garden, CT or the University of Connecticut and the NCAA.

The highlighted portion concerning lens length is what has changed back to their original policy. I usually shoot with a 300mm lens and not once in 27 years of shooting UConn basketball has anyone in an adjoining or nearby seat objected. In fact I have been asked and have given images away to my ‘neighbors’ who ask.

Can you help to get this policy changed back to eliminate this unnecessary restriction?

Very truly yours,

Jeff also responded immediately and and had the policy changed for UConn basketball at the Civic Center.
All due respect, but you are the exception, not the rule. The blue bold passage is what they are worried about and without prior authorization, the ticket scanners at the door cannot be expected to know your true intentions. As a non-amateur photographer, I'd take "larger than 3 in." to mean width of the lens.

For the record, they do allow bags exceeding the 12" x 6" x 12" limit if there is a reason. I've brought my sons' diaper bag into both Spectrum controlled venues, with little more hassle than than a look-see of what we were carrying and it would have canisters of formula, snacks, unsealed sippy cups, sunscreen (at the Rent), wipes, change of clothes, etc. over and above the prereq. diapers and wipes.

Reaction Score
I just don't understand how they "control their product" if they post their games on-line within a day or two. certainly, nearly anyone could screen-capture that and manipulate the imagines. And what exactly does UConn do with that product for their own profit anyway? Not saying you're not right; I just don't understand how that works vs. the very clear understanding that there is a huge emphasis now on stadium security.

and just let's be clear. every "still" camera today takes video, and it is so very easy to get around the 3" rule for telephoto lenses (for example, having a separate, detached teleconverter). so, nothing can defeat the clever photographer if s/he really wants to take close-ups.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
About 5 years ago at Gampel, I attempted to enter with an old 3 MP digital camera. It met the requirements for lens size and un-removable lens. I was refused entry, and asked to speak with s supervisor about it. The supervisor basked his underling, and behaved very officiously refused to admit the camera. I had to return to my car with the camera and missed the 1st quarter. TV option seemed so much more appealing after that experience.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That is just not true! Another urban myth. I checked our 'local' pro sports teams and went down the list of the 10 men's basketball teams (until I gave up) for their camera policies. I would guess that the crowds at every one of these venues is larger than the XL, Gampel or Sun. The following are all quoted from their websites.

The Patriots' Gillette Stadium
Cameras: Still cameras are allowed (without case). All video cameras are prohibited. Detachable lenses on still cameras may be detached during inspection.

Yankee's policy:
View attachment 27034
Red Sox:
Cameras and video cameras are permitted but cannot be used to reproduce the game and must not interfere with other fans' enjoyment of the game.

Syracuse University:
Video footage and photographs of competitions denoted above is permitted granted such filming does not interfere with the event.

University of Nebraska:
Camera use is permitted but the camera must pass size restrictions of gate security containers. ... larger than 13.5 inches by 10 inches by 7 inches will not be allowed in the stadium

Villanova only says they are subject to search and you can't throw them.

Michigan State
no Camcorders and tripods and selfie-sticks

Arizona State University
Cameras in which the length of the lens is smaller than the width of the base unit(my camera is ~ 6" wide)

Duke
Hand-held still cameras are permitted for personal use only. No cameras with a lens longer than four (4) inches are permitted into Cameron Indoor Stadium

University of North Carolina
May fans carry cameras, binoculars, smart phones or tablets separately from what they put in a clear bag?
Yes. Phones, tablets, binoculars or cameras (as long as they are not in a bag or a case) may be carried into the arena.

University of Miami (and the NFL Dolphins)
The NFL, the Miami Dolphins and the University of Miami are committed to protecting public safety at Sun Life Stadium. This is an important step in achieving that.
They also will continue to be able to carry items allowed into the stadium, such as binoculars, cameras, and smart phones.
I was talking about the bag policy.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I contacted UConn to see if I could get an excpetion for Danny, but they claim it is the event management decision, not UConn. That may be, but I bet if UConn really wanted to, they could change it.

To bags27, access to photos after the fact doesn't help, or at least, is much more challenging that you might realize. I upload a lot of my pictures, and Danny's pictures for use in Wikipedia, and I cannot screen grab from a videoor take a photo from the internet without getting a license. To their credit, UConn has been accommodating, but it is still a fair bit of paperwork, and would be easier if we could take decent photos on our own.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score

Wonder what they will do about this Nifty little Amateur Nikon Coolpix P900, as a semi-pro Photographer Using a Full Frame Format Body with a whole host of Lens, I really dislike the policy, but that is for my own selfish reasons..

The bottom line, these days anyone with a decent Cell phone can transmit live coverage if they really want to, so I really don't get it at all, just an inconvenience to someone like me looking to capture a nice image at a game, Oh well, such is life...

Reaction Score
I contacted UConn to see if I could get an excpetion for Danny, but they claim it is the event management decision, not UConn. That may be, but I bet if UConn really wanted to, they could change it.

To bags27, access to photos after the fact doesn't help, or at least, is much more challenging that you might realize. I upload a lot of my pictures, and Danny's pictures for use in Wikipedia, and I cannot screen grab from a videoor take a photo from the internet without getting a license. To their credit, UConn has been accommodating, but it is still a fair bit of paperwork, and would be easier if we could take decent photos on our own.
Sounds like you've done all you can.

From my perspective of universities, when they say it's not them it's event management, that's the end of the line. most universities are so over-stretched right now on educational/social/economic/legal issues that it's really unlikely they are going to get someone in their legal dept to negotiate with a stadium venue (even their own!) just so some folks can take pictures. they now have an astonishing number of legal and social issues to deal with that weren't even on anyone's radar a generation ago.

and yes, Bajan, iphone X, according to a pro photographer I know, can take quite high res pictures. I don't think it's the university going to the mat to control content. They might try, but they really don't care that much.

Reaction Score
Crazy as it may seem in many ways, there was a time when many folks were taking great game pictures from very good cameras & were selling those for pretty good prices to some of the crazed fans. Once the UConn brand was licensed, these kinds of pictures being sold became licensed property being sold without permisssion. Might seem small/petty but falls under the same realm for the counterfiet t-shirt sales. The limitation is a way to try to minimize this. I remember from my days on event staff working one of the post game autograph sessions when those were not monitored & structured so rigidly one individual trying to get a stack of Rebecca game action photos he had taken autographed (fortunately she would on sign several); the guy was confronted outside Gampel before the next game trying to sell those of Rebecca's & other players that he had for $25-$30 a pop.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I was talking about the bag policy.
Yep - clear bags at Arizona - so my wife takes no bags at all. Just a small wallet and her eye-glasses and her phone.

And yes, I 100% support this from a security point of view. To see a concert at the Tucson Convention Center you get wanded. To see the Mercury play you walk through a metal detector. It is what it is.

I'm sure different venues / schools / pro teams that limit various cameras have different reasons for doing so.

What I do think ludicrous is all the nonsense that surrounds bottles in various venues. At Arizona, you can bring a water bottle in if it is unopen. At Rutgers, you not only had to buy it, they opened it for you - no lids. The old Giants stadium - you could bring it in, but also no lid. To me, that's all a lot of nonsense.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
People were pelting on-field personnel with snow and ice balls at Giants Stadium. Imagine the damage with a full and capped water bottles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom