What's McGraw Talking About? | The Boneyard

What's McGraw Talking About?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Around the 3:40 mark of her post-game presser McGraw stated that Achonwa's injury occurred on a 'really hard' foul. Huh?

I've watched the replay several times and I couldn't see a foul at all and my recollection is that no foul was called. Is my memory playing tricks on me?

As for Achonwa, it will be unfortunate if she's unable to play, but the way her knee buckled sideways it's hard to imagine that she hasn't suffered at least a severe sprain. Knees are just not meant to bend like that. Without Achonwa ND will struggle to get past the Louisville/Maryland winner.

Reaction Score
Around the 3:40 mark of her post-game presser McGraw stated that Achonwa's injury occurred on a 'really hard' foul. Huh?

I've watched the replay several times and I couldn't see a foul at all and my recollection is that no foul was called. Is my memory playing tricks on me?

As for Achonwa, it will be unfortunate if she's unable to play, but the way her knee buckled sideways it's hard to imagine that she hasn't suffered at least a severe sprain. Knees are just not meant to bend like that. Without Achonwa ND will struggle to get past the Louisville/Maryland winner.

Muffet is a mess!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I bet she hadn't looked at the replay before she said that. That statement had to be based more on the emotion of the moment rather than reason.

Reaction Score

Sounds like a typical Muffet statement.. you know... where UCONN did not want to schedule Notre Dame this season. Making things up out of nowhere.

Almost C Viv-esque.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I bet she hadn't looked at the replay before she said that. That statement had to be based more on the emotion of the moment rather than reason.
She hadn't. The rest of the quote was something like "I'd have to see it again but....".

Reaction Score
Its like one of your kids getting hurt.....Very emotional..........They had a good ride until last night........Hey, you never know what strong will and determination will do........Good luck!!

Reaction Score
She hadn't. The rest of the quote was something like "I'd have to see it again but....".

Seeing it in real time it looked a lot worse (harder) than it did on replay and the angle McGraw would have been viewing the play from would have been directly through the Baylor player from behind. My wife was only glancing at the game on and off but saw that play as it unfolded and said "That was dirty" as it took place. Once the replay was shown, it was obvious there was little contact and the knee going was what made it look like a hard foul.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Seeing it in real time it looked a lot worse (harder) than it did on replay and the angle McGraw would have been viewing the play from would have been directly through the Baylor player from behind. My wife was only glancing at the game on and off but saw that play as it unfolded and said "That was dirty" as it took place. Once the replay was shown, it was obvious there was little contact and the knee going was what made it look like a hard foul.
I can understand why she thought that.

But wouldn't it have been more prudent to wait until you got another look before saying that?

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Story in the SBT mentions that Muffet no longer believe it was a hard foul after looking at the replay.

All well and good, but she should never have made the original comment without knowing what actually happened.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score

there was not even a touch- she was planting prior to the shot or came down after the shot, but there wasn't even contact I thought, dfinitely not before she whinced in pain!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
All well and good, but she should never have made the original comment without knowing what actually happened.
It's understandable - she has a close relationship with her players, like Geno, and was upset that Achonwa had been injured. It's hard to think clearly when you're upset. I'm cutting Muffet some slack on this.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Yes, I'd cut her some slack too. But this would be far easier to do if she were not such a whiney prima donna who typically blames others for her failings and misfortunes.

And I'm surprised no one else has posted this. Don't you wonder how much regret Muppet or the ND fan base would truly feel or express if it had been Stef or Breanna going down with an ACL? I don't know. I really don't.

Finally, I can't prove it, but the inability to hit point-blank layups and shoot free throws seems to be a determining factor in the games I have seen.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
And I'm surprised no one else has posted this. Don't you wonder how much regret Muppet or the ND fan base would truly feel or express if it had been Stef or Breanna going down with an ACL? I don't know. I really don't.
I'm sorry, but that's just a strange comment. And calling people names (Muppet, really?) is just too junior high school.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but that's just a strange comment. And calling people names (Muppet, really?) is just too junior high school.

So you find it strange? I'd hate to be the first to make a strange post on the BY. ;)

At risk of really raising your BP, I found it a refreshing positive difference that posters here were/are so charitable and (it seems to me) sincere in their thoughts about the ND injury. It caused me to wonder if the ND fans and others would extend the same charity to UConn if the situations were reversed. You are either so sure in the affirmative that you view the question as settled, or you aren't any more sure than I am. Which is it, and why? Why insult the question? Just answer it, or don't bother to reply at all, eh?

As to junior high, I've read much worse in a very short time on the board. As a mod, you'll always get the last word, as I do on sites I moderate. I don't care for Ms. McGraw, and that goes back a ways.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
So you find it strange? I'd hate to be the first to make a strange post on the BY. ;)

At risk of really raising your BP, I found it a refreshing positive difference that posters here were/are so charitable and (it seems to me) sincere in their thoughts about the ND injury. It caused me to wonder if the ND fans and others would extend the same charity to UConn if the situations were reversed. You are either so sure in the affirmative that you view the question as settled, or you aren't any more sure than I am. Which is it, and why? Why insult the question? Just answer it, or don't bother to reply at all, eh?

As to junior high, I've read much worse in a very short time on the board. As a mod, you'll always get the last word, as I do on sites I moderate. I don't care for Ms. McGraw, and that goes back a ways.
Some Uconn fans have hated the insults from other fans about Geno and it would be hypocritical for those fans to use insulting names for coaches we don't like or approve of those insults made by others on this board.

I guess I'm speaking for myself, but I have a feeling many feel as I do on this.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Muffet......I'll admit of using considerable restraint when tempted to toy with this name...and I have been tempted.

BTW, according to Wikipedia, her first name is really "Ann".

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
It's interesting to see how folks attitude towards/opinion of Muffet has shifted. Some, I'm guessing, has to do with the fact they beat UConn (you only have to read the "but OVERALL we have the record" or "but they didn't win the BIG one" to see the attempt to diminish their wins), the break up of the Big East, and the "hullaballoo" over schedule-gate, the fact they never get a foul called on them and that they're better at drawing fouls than most teams.

Clearly, there are other factors folks are bringing to the table - things they know or have interpreted in one way or another. But the increase in vitriol has been quite noticeable. Suggesting that, somehow, ND fans would be unsympathetic to a UConn player's injury is -- well, I don't even know how to qualify it. Cold? Condescending? Dehumanizing? Ridiculous?

I guess they ARE our rivals.

I, for my part, have always enjoyed Muffet, found her charming (I enjoy her Philly humor and poke-poke-tweak-ness) and thoughtful to speak with, and have enjoyed the quality of basketball her teams have demonstrated. I look forward to the series continuing and beating them soundly as often as the basketball gods allow.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Thanks Doggy, thanks Rady. You gave me part of the answer I sought. Let me rephrase and then, if I fail, I promise to just give up.

"Do you think that the ND folks have the same sense of empathy toward the Huskies as UConn folks (here) seem to have toward ND?"

There is no editorial in that question. Just want to understand the nature of the rivalry a little more clearly. I've been a UConn WBB fan for years and a reader the BY only a short time and a member only a few weeks.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
"Do you think that the ND folks have the same sense of empathy toward the Huskies as UConn folks (here) seem to have toward ND?" .

Yes.

Flip the question: As a "folk," Bird, what rivalry do you "participate" in where you would NOT have empathy toward a injured player?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Participate? I have spent a larger segment of my adult life describing sports for others rather than participating. To me, there are athletes and their coaches - the rest of us are spectators of one kind or another. If you saw me, you wouldn't suppose me an athlete, either now or ever.

Good flip of the question. And like you, the ultimate answer for me is "yes."

That doesn't prevent my being curious about both the "what if's" and "what now's." In a few days, the answers will play themselves out.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the some of the animosity may stem from a few years ago and the unnamed ND player who supposedly poked her head in the locker room or in a corridor said something like 'Sucks to be you, huh?' to a Uconn player after a loss. (probably got that all wrong!) Followed by a few comments by Muffet in the last year that 'might' have been Philly humor but came off as more straight put downs or misstatements of fact. And then a perception that ND with all their talent also has developed a bit too much of a talent for acting on the court.
I think there is general admiration for her coaching ability, but it has also become a heated rivalry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom