What's Happened to the Offense in CBB? | The Boneyard

What's Happened to the Offense in CBB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the 90s and early 00s we would average high 70s/low 80s a game. We were known as a fast breaking team that would run off misses as well as makes. We have slowly evolved into a team that runs 25-30 seconds of clock and relies on a high screen and a talented guard having to make something out of nothing. As such, our scoring average now settles in the high 60s, low 70s. We haven't been near the highs 70s since 08/09.

Just looking through the scores today, most of the games are in the 50s and 60s. Is the defense better? Is the talent watered down by early defections? Can nobody shoot anymore? I appreciate good defense, but in the past two days I've seen a 45-26 game, 55-54 game, and a 58-38 game with at least one top 10 team involved. Kind of hideous to watch.

Reaction Score
Your right. I thought back to our 1995 team that put up points in the 90's and over 100 as we went 6 minutes without a hoop today.

The product may be watered down and the defenses are better do the better athletes. It also doesn't help when you have "platoons" of All Americans going to sit the bench at some programs. Not even our women's basketball team has that. The fact All Americans in the men's game are going to sit the bench at 2 programs in particular is pretty pathetic.

Reaction Score
But even that "platoon" team put up a robust 58 today against an unranked, but good team. I miss the days of the 80-75 game. It's becoming nauseating to watch us (and many other teams) struggle to eclipse 60.

Reaction Score
45 by Virginia yesterday and 58 today for that vaunted McD AA UK team against PC. It's crazy but it goes back to what kids want to be now. They all want to be highlight reels and not shooters. Give me a bunch of guys who can shoot the ball from the perimeter or have some mid range game and I'll take on anyone!

Reaction Score
45 by Virginia yesterday and 58 today for that vaunted McD AA UK team against PC. It's crazy but it goes back to what kids want to be now. They all want to be highlight reels and not shooters. Give me a bunch of guys who can shoot the ball from the perimeter or have some mid range game and I'll take on anyone!

This is lazy take. 3 pt shooting now is much, much better than it was in the past. Defenses have become more sophisticated and effective, teams play much more disciplined in terms of half-court execution, and the short 3 pt line makes spacing the floor harder.

Defense is just ahead of offense in today's college bball...

Reaction Score
It's a fair gripe, but nowhere near a new development. Offenses aren't that good nowadays primarily because there aren't many guys who can dribble and pass. It sounds simple, but that's really what it boils down to; roster continuity and experience are essential to cultivating an efficient offense, and not many of the top teams possess those ingredients anymore.

Reaction Score
defense has improved , shot clock needs to be shortened (a team can take a whole minute off the clock if they get an offensive rebound), move the 3pt line back another foot(better spacing = more offense creativity). if they make these changes , you will see the scoring go up . I think they'll make these changes sooner than later.

Reaction Score
I think the 3pt line is fine right now. I do think the shot clock needs to drop to 30 seconds.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
It's like how hitters have struggled in baseball the past few season because good pitching has become so dominant.

Reaction Score
all valid points... but to rebut, the shock clock was introduced in the mid 80s and was 45 seconds until 94. In that last year of the longer clock (Donyell, Ray, etc.) we averaged 85 a game. Now that might have been our most talented team ever so maybe it's not a fair example but that team (and others) were not hindered by the shot clock. Also, the three point line was shorter so the spacing argument could also be rebutted.

Reaction Score
that 94 team you think was greatest talent all time did alot of good, right?

choked it off vs florida in miami in swt 16 wit lil bc eagles waiting in elite 8 hoping to be hammered by huskies

what a joke

Reaction Score
94 sleddogs: ineptitude bumbling super talents: only had to beat lil bc in elite 8, then puke to get to arkansas for title shot which was doable

06 sleddogs: bumbling brilliants: only had to handle florida to get to ucla for title which was doable

94 ineptitude gave florida their 1st appearance in final IV

06 ineptitude gave florida their first world title

even after sleddogs lb. ed them last yr the score is still not even

Reaction Score
This is lazy take. 3 pt shooting now is much, much better than it was in the past. Defenses have become more sophisticated and effective, teams play much more disciplined in terms of half-court execution, and the short 3 pt line makes spacing the floor harder.

Defense is just ahead of offense in today's college bball...

Please explain your less than lazy take because the BS you threw there backs up nothing? Please show me how much better 3 point shooting is?

Reaction Score
The pro-style offenses now eat up a lot more clock, resulting in a lot fewer possessions/game. Those mid-90s teams used to get 75+ possessions a game, and now the team gets around 65. I'm also going to assume that the fact that the most talented players are only around for a year means that the offense is going to be behind the defense overall, resulting in lower scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom