What's going on with Anna?? | The Boneyard

What's going on with Anna??

Reaction Score
I am assuming that most of us
are lady Husky fans. For whatever reason I am perplexed with Anna's situation with the team. Please note that she is a favorite of mine.
I have touted her importance to the program before. Maybe there is an international or generational gap going on. Coach obviously sees her potential & could be losing hair over her issues. Sometimes it appears that she is not
comprehending, listening, or is just fearful. She occasionally appears to have gained some weight which gets her a step or two behind.
Anna has so many tools and appears to be such a nice & likable kid. I think she still has star potential. Putting her on the bench at this point could cause potential team & personal harm, for she is in with Geno's flow. I don't have an answer. Perhaps some kind of contact with one of her Polish national team coaches could help, but under no circumstance should Geno's toes be stepped on! Hopefully, one of us can come up with a suggestion or two. I am certain this has been discussed @ coaches meetings.

Reaction Score
are lady Husky fans. For whatever reason I am perplexed with Anna's situation with the team. Please note that she is a favorite of mine.
I have touted her importance to the program before. Maybe there is an international or generational gap going on. Coach obviously sees her potential & could be losing hair over her issues. Sometimes it appears that she is not
comprehending, listening, or is just fearful. She occasionally appears to have gained some weight which gets her a step or two behind.
Anna has so many tools and appears to be such a nice & likable kid. I think she still has star potential. Putting her on the bench at this point could cause potential team & personal harm, for she is in with Geno's flow. I don't have an answer. Perhaps some kind of contact with one of her Polish national team coaches could help, but under no circumstance should Geno's toes be stepped on! Hopefully, one of us can come up with a suggestion or two. I am certain this has been discussed @ coaches meetings.

Not much to say. Ania is a streak shooter and an above-average passer. She is playing because there is no reliable markswoman to take her place. She is neither quick nor agile, but she can account for some points; that's why she's playing. Next year we'll get a great outside threat in Azzi, and Ania will sit and come in as a sub.
I dislike disparaging players, and I know Ania is making every effort to contribute. But do you want the ball in her hands with the game on the line?

Reaction Score
Here we go again leave Ania alone
south park beat a dead horse GIF

Reaction Score
huskyd-I for one love this kid. I thought her name was Anna? I respectfully disagree with you. Can’t really judge these kids on such a disjointed season can you? I hope she proves you wrong. If you re-watch some of the games you will see how hard she works...... I think she is already down on herself when she makes a turnover. Give AM a break, you really should. Geez, I wonder how fast you are?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'buckets' is a disrupter, which includes her own squad. everything changes in their wake.
others are forced into introspection, with 'where do i fit in?' a common thought. of course, coach has seen this movie before. trust in geno.

Reaction Score

Thanks for the post and appreciate your concern for Anna. Like you, I am a huge fan of Anna's as well. I am not too worried about Anna when it comes to her play on the court. If you watch her play, she is playing the right way. Defensively, she is doing what she is asked to do. If anyone says or thinks otherwise, they are on some stuff. Anna ain't the only one out there getting beat on plays. She has company. Offensively, she is playing like she is suppose to play when you have 3-4 ball dominate players out there. She spaces the floor. She moves to open areas on the floor. Her body language, for a player that doesn't get that many looks, is always positive and upbeat.

As for the thought of putting her on the bench. That is always a tough one but players have to understand, and I am sure Coach and the coaching staff, has mentioned to everyone on the team that no spot is guaranteed. On any given day or practice, a spot can open up as a starter. Minutes are there for those that want to compete and show that they are competitors. Anna does so much positive stuff that nobody has managed to take her spot...yet and I am sure she will understand when that day comes and gladly accept a spot on the bench if and when it happens.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
This is for me a strange thread
Sorry, but I don't understand the relevance or meaning of the posts of Clif (above) or Centerstream.
Respectful, honest discussion of individual players is certainly germane and not discouraged...
And I've been among those with some concerns
but not enough or with sufficient clarity to comment

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
It's a long break between games so I understand why this poor horse is getting whupped again. My only comments (trying hard to ignore "lady") relate to two things the OP said:

"Putting her on the bench at this point could cause potential team & personal harm"
I think the offense moves better at this point with Anna in the game despite the shooting and defensive issues, but that's definitely no guarantee for her. No coach would bench a player if they thought it would be bad for the team (disciplinary benching aside), least of all Geno.​
Not sure how we define "personal harm" but if a player is too fragile to respond appropriately to being assigned a bench role, they may not have been suited to be here in the first place. Some great players 'sat the plank' in the past at various times. In that situation a player is presented with clear choices: shut down in anger and/or self pity, accept and embrace the role as long term, reject the role by scratching and clawing to earn your way back.​
"Perhaps some kind of contact with one of her Polish national team coaches... one of us can come up with a suggestion or two."
I'm sure the coaching staff has all the input they need over the last season and a half, and will not be looking to the the Polish team or (God help us) the Boneyard for inspiration.​
Listening GIF by TLC

Reaction Score
Anna problem is she’s struggling with her 3s and get beat off the dribble a lot. Edwards should start for more low post scoring but she has to cut down on her fouls. Anna is a playmaker she should come off the bench for Westbrook or Paige if she’s not gonna hit shots or second guess about shooting. She is too unselfish but hope she picks it up because Azzi is coming soon and she’ll take and make shots

Reaction Score
After a year in this country, Anna understands just fine. Didn't hear that complaint last year. She's lost confidence in her shot, and is nervous about getting pulled if she makes a mistake, which is no way to play the game. Aaliyah should start against Baylor's physical lineup. Have Anna come off the bench, and maybe she won't feel the pressure nearly as much.

Reaction Score
This is for me a strange thread
Sorry, but I don't understand the relevance or meaning of the posts of Clif (above) or Centerstream.
Respectful, honest discussion of individual players is certainly germane and not discouraged...
And I've been among those with some concerns
but not enough or with sufficient clarity to comment

I think I understand if I may? Though I think he is being amusing. If I'm right what he is saying is pretty amusing - not saying I agree or disagree.

IMO better to use an example: When LeBron James joined the Miami Heat with Wade and Bosh - years later Bosh said he had to change his game to accommodate LeBron. He wasn't slamming LeBron - he was just making a comment that he changed his game (to be more of a jump shooter). Also - Bosh probably moved without the ball a lot more and worked on getting low position a lot more prior to LeBron.

When Clif refers to Paige as a "disruptor" - maybe it's similar to what LeBron was to Bosh. Get the ball in Paige's hands (just like LeBron) and sit back and wait for the ball to eventually come to you without moving much.

It's just funny if I'm right Paige being referred to as a "disruptor." I guess Diana Taurasi during her championship runs of 02-03 and 03-04 was a DISRUPTOR tool!! Funny terminology. LOL!!!!!! I can imagine someone asking Geno if Paige is a disruptor to the team's offense. :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
huskyd-I for one love this kid. I thought her name was Anna?
Actually Makurat's name is Ania. Basically the Polish form of Anna. But because most American's are simpletons when it comes to foreign names, a lot of foreigners will make it easy on us. She's just following "Luigi". ;)

Reaction Score
according to the coaches AM came to UConn in great shape late this summer but it appears that the on and off and on nature of the season has effected her negatively, clearly more than the other starters.........she seems a step slow on the court and her shots look a bit forced at this point..............a single break out game might just do the trick to get her back in sync.............I will say that her rebounding and passing are still first rate and I have a feeling she'll make some important plays for the team in the coming weeks.....

Reaction Score
One of my current great mysteries; why are people mangling Anna’s name? I mean, I can understand Piath, Ododa, even Aubrey but Anna?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom