What's at stake vs Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Streaks: 15 wins vs Big Ten Teams since loss to Michigan St 12-29-04
86 wins vs anyone anywhere; Uconn hold men/women record at 90
29 true road games; record 30 Uconn tie with Notre Dame
860 wins without consecutive loss since March 1993
various records: All Time:60-28 vs AP Top 5; 111-46 vs AP Top 10; 236-61 vs AP Top 25
As # 1 vs all teams 385-15

Reaction Score
The Huskies have already far exceeded all reasonable expectations this year. It would be wonderful if this spectacular group of women can keep the streak alive this Thursday on their way to the big dance.

Last edited:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Just a reminder: Maryland has Kiah Gillespie on their team...I think she is a junior. She graduated from Capital Prep in Hartford. I have no idea if she is in the rotation.

Reaction Score
Just a reminder: Maryland has Kiah Gillespie on their team...I think she is a junior. She graduated from Capital Prep in Hartford. I have no idea if she is in the rotation.
She is a sophomore. She plays some but not a whole lot in the big games. She made a big play in the Louisville game. (took the ball out of Asia Durr's hand and got fouled). She also has a 13 rebound game to her credit this season. Don't expect to see her much in the UConn game because of matchups.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
TWF: thanks! How about a self-scout on your team?
Strengths...weaknesses?
Best win was: ???
Worst win was: ???

The game is home....students on break...but I assume the crowd will be lively. You going? If so....give us your take post-game.

Remove your fandom....betting your last dollar...who wins?

Frankly I thought there was zero chance....realistically...that UConn would enter 2017 undefeated. I am a firm believer in 'good losses'....I am guessing that if we do lose Geno won't be heartbroken.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
I'll be there. Looking ahead, a loss here could be significant at seeding time, especially if followed by a loss to SCAR. Tough OOC schedule notwithstanding, a 30-2 UCONN team could drop to a 3 seed or lower if MD, ND, etc. run the rest of the table.

Regarding the matchup, I am very worried about UCONN's ability to control Brionna Jones . She was 12-14 last year while UCONN had Tuck and Stewie, although it seemed like she was often guarded by Gabby. UCONN struggled against K-State's Breanna Lewis, who had 14 close-in shots and 18 points.

In the dreaded event of a Maryland win, I wonder if Frese will put a leash on the possible "we just won the national championship!" -level pandemonium shown by Stanford after ending UCONN's 90-gamer and their 47-gamer.

Reaction Score
I posted this on another thread:
I went back and found the article in the Harford Courant dated Dec 29, 2015 regarding the UConn/MD game at MSG. The article states that UCONN had early turnovers (self inflicted turnovers) in the first half and had one in the second half. I was at the game and thought WOW they are making a lot of silly mistakes. The outcome of the game may have been a higher scoring game for UCONN without the turnovers. I found the comments interesting regarding Gabby, Pheese, Lou and Kia regarding their play. If you care to read them (I can't attach the link) go down about 26 comments to will.fox1 and go from there. The poster makes a comment about Gabby being to undersized for MD's bigs, Pheese being lost and KLS is still struggling. LOL, wonder what he thinks now! All I can say is that these 4 starters have come a long way from that game last December. This should make for a great game and I wish I could get down to Maryland but I will have to watch from the comfort of my recliner this year! UCONN wins by 20!:cool:
One needs to look at the whole picture from last year. This years starters have grown and their game is MUCH different then last year.

Reaction Score
I'll be there. Looking ahead, a loss here could be significant at seeding time, especially if followed by a loss to SCAR. Tough OOC schedule notwithstanding, a 30-2 UCONN team could drop to a 3 seed or lower if MD, ND, etc. run the rest of the table.

Regarding the matchup, I am very worried about UCONN's ability to control Brionna Jones . She was 12-14 last year while UCONN had Tuck and Stewie, although it seemed like she was often guarded by Gabby. UCONN struggled against K-State's Breanna Lewis, who had 14 close-in shots and 18 points.

In the dreaded event of a Maryland win, I wonder if Frese will put a leash on the possible "we just won the national championship!" -level pandemonium shown by Stanford after ending UCONN's 90-gamer and their 47-gamer.
No way is UConn dropping to a 3 seed at 30-2. You don't think this team is one of the top 8 in the country just because they lose to Maryland and South Carolina?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I am very worried about UCONN's ability to control Brionna Jones

She is the center piece of their game, but Geno as recently as the Nebraska game reiterated no one player beats UConn. I suspect that she will have to be rested in this game or be totally gassed before the third quarter is half done.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
No way is UConn dropping to a 3 seed at 30-2. You don't think this team is one of the top 8 in the country just because they lose to Maryland and South Carolina?
Overall three seed (The third number one seed) my poor choice of words.

Last edited:

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Brenda??? Surely you jest!
I still remember how excited Atlanta closer Pete Garber was when he struck out Pete Rose to end his 44-game hit streak. Rose even said at the time that "(Garber) acted as if he had just won the World Series." Sour grapes notwithstanding, Garber and the team sure were excited.

I like the UCONN style. While they will pose courteously with Big East and American Conference Championship trophies, and maybe don a cap, they only really celebrate once a year.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I dont see one or two players beating UConn. MD will need production from at least 2 other players. Jones can dominate however the freshman must get her the ball without turning it over. Kimbrough will have to have a good game and I expect she will. If the game becomes Jones and Kimbrough against UConn MD will lose. MD has some very good freshman who I would expect to turn the ball over more then usual against UConns defense. I dont wanna hear about last year...its about this year. MDs soft schedule helps the freshman grow up however the UConn game may wake them up and I expect it will. One other point. MD is not a great 3 pt shooting team therefore UConn can cheat a little on guarding 3 pt shots however UConn does shoot the trey well and MD will have to come out and guard UConn thus opening up the middle and allowing UConn to dribble penetrate. Which opens the door for alot of things that could happen. This is gonna be a very good game. Barring foul trouble and injuries UConn wins by double digits.

Reaction Score
TWF: thanks! How about a self-scout on your team?
Strengths...weaknesses?
Best win was: ???
Worst win was: ???

The game is home....students on break...but I assume the crowd will be lively. You going? If so....give us your take post-game.

Remove your fandom....betting your last dollar...who wins?

Frankly I thought there was zero chance....realistically...that UConn would enter 2017 undefeated. I am a firm believer in 'good losses'....I am guessing that if we do lose Geno won't be heartbroken.
Strengths: Brionna Jones, Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, excellent depth (especially on the wing), athleticism, rebounding, team speed, very good at causing turnovers
Weaknesses: turnover prone (typical Brenda team), backup PG, three point shooting could be better
Best win: easily Arizona State in Las Vegas. They were up 38-6 at one point and ASU was 1-17 from the floor with 9 turnovers to start the game.
Worst win was probably Loyola. They outscored us in the 4th quarter.
I will be at the game and I am predicting a Maryland win. Even though Geno has had several days to prepare for this game, Brenda is at her best when she has time to prepare for an opponent. There has been only three times Brenda has had time to prepare for a game and lost. Twice to UConn (Sweet 16 and Final 4) and Notre Dame (Final 4). Brenda has had issues with short turnarounds. (three round of 32 losses and three Elite 8 losses, not to mention a defeat against Washington State in the 2nd game of a back to back a few years ago.)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Huskies have already far exceeded all reasonable expectations this year. It would be wonderful if this spectacular group of women can keep the streak alive this Thursday on their way to the big dance.

This is the most bizarre video posted I've seen in a while. Watched the whole thing though...;)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I will be at the game and I am predicting a Maryland win. Even though Geno has had several days to prepare for this game, Brenda is at her best when she has time to prepare for an opponent. There has been only three times Brenda has had time to prepare for a game and lost.

Sorry, but nice try. ;)

Geno's players were preoccupied with garnering frequent flier miles during those "several days" of game-prep time.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
This is the most bizarre video posted I've seen in a while. Watched the whole thing though...;)
I did too.

Rita might have had all of her singing dubbed, but no one had to dub her dancing.

Some of her dance partners were not so bad, by the way..............................

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I will be at the game and I am predicting a Maryland win. Even though Geno has had several days to prepare for this game, Brenda is at her best when she has time to prepare for an opponent. There has been only three times Brenda has had time to prepare for a game and lost. Twice to UConn (Sweet 16 and Final 4) and Notre Dame (Final 4). Brenda has had issues with short turnarounds. (three round of 32 losses and three Elite 8 losses, not to mention a defeat against Washington State in the 2nd game of a back to back a few years ago.)

Sorry - have to disagree. Geno's major prep for this game or any game started way back in November. You need to have 4 players score in double digits and that won't happen. Jones and Walker - Kimbrough alone are not enough.

And Maryland is not known for its defense. It will be close, but UConn will edge the Terps.

Reaction Score
upload_2016-12-28_10-31-52.png

Don Quixote in “The Man of La Mancha,” sings of his love of the nonexistent Dulcinea, someone he has neither seen, nor touched, but loved with all of his heart. Poe's Annabel Lee is the same: the woman he loved with something more than love: the pure and untouchable woman. This is the Romantic Ideal, and UConn has one, too. For the Huskies it is Perfection among basketball players (as Dulcinea and Annabel Lee are perfection among women). And the Huskies' “love” is also unattainable.

But what IS obtainable is an undefeated season. Losing to any team at this point removes not only the possibility of a "perfect" season but the end of a run at 90-straight wins. Geno has said that he doesn't care about 90 wins; he's done that; his players don't even know what the current number is. Now, we know that Coach is either doing a psychological number on the ladies (motivation) or, possibly, preparing us all for the inevitable loss. But do we really, really want or need a butt-kicking? Any UConn fan who wants to lose (even) a game, please raise your hand. Anyone? Didn't think so.

That's what the Maryland game means . . .

Reaction Score

I don't think anything is at stake---except bragging rights and egos.

At Seeding time--with one or two losses -Uconn's points for playing top 20 teams will be high--their win loss record is pretty good to great and shouldn't be much worse than other top 20 teams-- So why would a loss to any top 10 team or 2 --drastically change where they shall be seeded?? Right now USC, Baylor, ND all have losses.
I think with Natalie and athletic Gabby and Napheesa Jones is the least of my worries--it's their guards and forwards. Geno believes one player if allowed to run freely--cannot/should not beat Uconn. Shut down 4 of 5 and Uconn wins.
Remember Students , for the most part, are still home.
Part 2--If they get a "bad" seeding , what does that mean?

Reaction Score
Streaks: 15 wins vs Big Ten Teams since loss to Michigan St 12-29-04
86 wins vs anyone anywhere; Uconn hold men/women record at 90
29 true road games; record 30 Uconn tie with Notre Dame
860 wins without consecutive loss since March 1993
various records: All Time:60-28 vs AP Top 5; 111-46 vs AP Top 10; 236-61 vs AP Top 25
As # 1 vs all teams 385-15

Nothing of consequence is at stake for UConn --ego/bragging rights only--with a loss or 2 before the end of the season. The numbers you present are nice --these are numbers for Christine and Geno--few of these numbers belong to anyone on this team --maybe Chong, but forgive me for saying this--she was sitting on the bench for most of them.\
But as a fan it is always nice to be reminded of how great this program has been. Thanks for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom