What's at stake vs Maryland | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What's at stake vs Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score

But do we really, really want or need a butt-kicking? Any UConn fan who wants to lose (even) a game, please raise your hand. Anyone? Didn't think so.

That's what the Maryland game means . . .
upload_2016-12-28_11-42-43.png

Reaction Score
The Huskies have already far exceeded all reasonable expectations this year. It would be wonderful if this spectacular group of women can keep the streak alive this Thursday on their way to the big dance.

One of the shockers for me when I watch Rita is how well she dances. In You Were Never Lovleier (above) she really keeps up with Astaire. She's no Cyd Charisse (but then again, Cyd Charisse was no Rita either!), but generally better than Ginger--with the exception of this amazing dancing in Swing Time where Ginger seems so much less self-conscious.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Absolutely nothing is at stake in this game. It's an OOC game in December, Connecticut is about championships and you don't win those in December, unless you're Coach P. at Duke, if they win then the streak continues and could go significantly past 100. If they lose, no one will care when they make the FF and cut down the nets in April. It's much ado about nothing....

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I still remember how excited Atlanta closer Pete Garber was when he struck out Pete Rose to end his 44-game hit streak. Rose even said at the time that "(Garber) acted as if he had just won the World Series." Sour grapes notwithstanding, Garber and the team sure were excited.

I like the UCONN style. While they will pose courteously with Big East and American Conference Championship trophies, and maybe don a cap, they only really celebrate once a year.
Love your Pete Rose example Oldbones but it was Gene Garber.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IF UConn were to lose to Maryland and So Carolina and end up with two losses for the year, they will be a #1 Seed. May not be the overall #1 seed depending on won/loss records of So Carolina, Baylor and Maryland. I don't see Notre Dame going undefeated in the ACC and with UConn's win against Notre Dame on their home court, UConn will get the #1 seed over them.

If Maryland beats UConn, I see them going undefeated and being the overall #1 seed. Ohio State might beat them if Kelsey has a monster game and the team decides to play some defense.

Reaction Score
Nothing at stake... don't think were gonna lose though.....

for the terps would be huge with a victory or even a close loss

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Love your Pete Rose example Oldbones but it was Gene Garber.
Yup my bad, I wrote Pete for both players, although I did get the "e-e" right. Apologies. I almost wrote "the guy" instead of Garber, but figured someone would provide the name anyway.

However, I'm not sure that the 96-113 career Garber protecting a 12-run ninth inning lead for the last-place Braves by whiffing Rose for the last out in a midsummer game deserves a whole lot much more name attention than the forever anonymous recently-retired-at-the-time guy who made his bones by deliberately overpowering and striking out senior-citizen Joe DiMaggio in an old-timers game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You mean, like UConn in '95? It's not an exact parallel, but there sure are similarities.

Hey, I just answered a question. I'm good with them whooping it up big time if they pull it off. Why not. It's a big deal.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
You mean, like UConn in '95? It's not an exact parallel, but there sure are similarities.
If we are talking about UCONN 's '95 Championship game celebration of the school's first championship and only the second Unbeaten NCAA-sanctioned Women's season, versus someone ending another school's near-historic streak in a game tomorrow night that many BY posters (but not OB) are calling inconsequential, there is a parallel but IMHO little comparison.

Now, if you are looking for meaningful celebration:

Reaction Score
Should UConn, irrespective of most pre-season expectations, manage to capture yet another national championship, virtually no one will remember or very much care about the consecutive win streak. At some point in time, sooner or later, the streak will, alas, inevitably end, as all streaks do. When that happens, we'll all be disappointed. So long as it doesn't happen in March or April, who cares? Just another great achievement, whether ending now or later, but ultimately unimportant in the grand scheme of things!

Reaction Score
Absolutely nothing is at stake in this game. It's an OOC game in December, Connecticut is about championships and you don't win those in December, unless you're Coach P. at Duke, if they win then the streak continues and could go significantly past 100. If they lose, no one will care when they make the FF and cut down the nets in April. It's much ado about nothing....
Not so! With a win vs MD Uconn program has a chance to put their record wins out of reach to anyone else. Like Geno tells his players every game count . Play with pride.

Reaction Score
One of the shockers for me when I watch Rita is how well she dances. In You Were Never Lovleier (above) she really keeps up with Astaire. She's no Cyd Charisse (but then again, Cyd Charisse was no Rita either!), but generally better than Ginger--with the exception of this amazing dancing in Swing Time where Ginger seems so much less self-conscious.

Rita was of Mexican heritage and danced in that style from early child hood, she danced with Kelly, even Phil Silvers
So she was no novice --with her early dancing experience. She was more than a pretty face. Cyd Charisse was a professional dancer--Ginger was an Actor you learned dancing if memory doesn't fail again.. Rita's--she, in my opinion, played Rita in every part with the possible exception of Sadie Thompson.

Reaction Score
Here's something good that can come from playing the Huskies:

1. Raoul ‏@Raoul_000 5h5 hours ago
    ...Last two teams that played UConn at home—Kansas State and Nebraska—subsequently netted commitments from prospects visiting for that game.

2. WBB: Ex-Florida player Eleanna Christinaki reportedly visiting Maryland for their Thursday home game vs UConn; previously visited Louisville

Reaction Score
After seeing that Geno was sick, I was hoping it hadn't spread to the team...........unfortunately, word is a couple of the Huskies are "under the weather"......

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

ok.jpg

Reaction Score

One of the shockers for me is that I saw most of the movies in these clips when they were first run.

Reaction Score
If we are talking about UCONN 's '95 Championship game celebration of the school's first championship and only the second Unbeaten NCAA-sanctioned Women's season, versus someone ending another school's near-historic streak in a game tomorrow night that many BY posters (but not OB) are calling inconsequential, there is a parallel but IMHO little comparison.

I believe the poster is referring to the January '95 regular season game in Gampel between #2 UConn & #1 Tennessee. The celebration by the UConn players at midcourt following the 77-67 victory sure looked like a team celebrating a "championship". As fans we would forgive it as emotional release after vanquishing the acknowledged "best program in wcbb". Not much different to the way Stanford's players reacted after their last couple of wins at Staples. I'm sure Maryland's team will react no differently, should they win.

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Don Quixote in “The Man of La Mancha,” sings of his love of the nonexistent Dulcinea, someone he has neither seen, nor touched, but loved with all of his heart. Poe's Annabel Lee is the same: the woman he loved with something more than love: the pure and untouchable woman. This is the Romantic Ideal, and UConn has one, too. For the Huskies it is Perfection among basketball players (as Dulcinea and Annabel Lee are perfection among women). And the Huskies' “love” is also unattainable.

Poor old Don Quixote and his "Impossible Dream." He has, unwittingly, contributed a modifier to the English language that symbolizes hopelessness. Thus, a lowly ranked team plays UConn with only a quixotic hope of achieving a victory. ;)

Reaction Score
Not so! With a win vs MD Uconn program has a chance to put their record wins out of reach to anyone else. Like Geno tells his players every game count . Play with pride.

UConn's consecutive win streak is already out of reach to anyone else.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Poor old Don Quixote and his "Impossible Dream." He has, unwittingly, contributed a modifier to the English language that symbolizes hopelessness. Thus, a lowly ranked team plays UConn with only a quixotic hope of achieving a victory. ;)

That's a possible offseason topic: Neologisms that have come from fiction ("Pecksniffian") and real people.("Bowdlerized") This would no doubt help all of us amateur writers cut down on our Dogberryisms, our Malapropisms, and our Spoonerisms, hopefully leaving only our Nixonisms to be moderated by our moderators and our facts and opinions to be fair game for everyone.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
While a loss would not affect our run for a NC, I really get the feeling that Geno and the coaching staff is incredibly motivated to show that we can win with less talent, experience and depth than some other contenders. It would be glorious if we can pull off a perfect season and show the world that discipline, hard work and teamwork can beat all and we do not win NC's based on talent alone.

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
That's a possible offseason topic: Neologisms that have come from fiction ("Pecksniffian") and real people.("Bowdlerized") This would no doubt help all of us amateur writers cut down on our Dogberryisms, our Malapropisms, and our Spoonerisms, hopefully leaving only our Nixonisms to be moderated by our moderators and our facts and opinions to be fair game for everyone.

I believe it was MilfordHusky who coined a nifty new word (a neologism -- source: nonfiction for sure!) when he described a player's quality as "badassery." (Boneyarders unanimously grasped the meaning instantaneously.;))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom