What Would You Do If You Were This Coach's AD | The Boneyard

What Would You Do If You Were This Coach's AD

Reaction Score
upload_2018-1-29_14-18-42.png

Click HERE

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
When she was appointed at "interim" many of us noted her poor history as a coach and add in Swoopes on the staff and you have "hot-head central" with coaches who do not handle losing well while creating their own controversy. Tech needs to clean house as soon as the last second ticks off in the Big12 Tournament loss they will incur.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You learn more about a person (and yourself) during hardship than when things are going well.

If I were AD? Byebye baby. Watching your back on the way out the door will be your best side.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Wasn't she canned from her previous coaching job?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I wonder what she was so pissed about. Is there any additional subtext that we aren't aware of? Even if a HC is super pissed, and does the obligatory blow by handshake, short of smacking the other coach upside the head, I'm not sure I've ever seen a coach react that way before. Did WVU play overly physical? Did Carey leave his starters in until the end to increase the MOV? Did she address her unsportsmanlike conduct after the game (ie. did any one ask her about it?)?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Following the provided links, I saw the game was Jan 24 while the story was Jan 29. What was weird to me is when looking at the post game stories as well as an audio file of the post game presser of the WV coach that day, no mention was made of the hand shake incident. :confused:

Regarding the OP question, she should look for another career.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You can't teach "class", and you can't teach "character". I agree with Twolf: "Make sure that the “interim” was the very shortest period possible. Doing a drive-by is not looked upon favorably by your peers." That's not the kind of sportsmanship the coaching community or athletic departments in WCBB wants their athletes to display or harbor. She displayed a very poor example of the proper and acceptable behavior after a loss in front of her team that day. The coaches are suppose to set the example they expect their players to follow. Texas Tech is 7-14 (1-9). Needless to say this has been a challenging season for the program. I wonder if the 7 teams they did beat acted like she did? Humm? :rolleyes:

What would I do? - Disclaimer: I'm looking at this situation from an administrator's point of view, not a fan. There are certain protocols and procedures you have to follow, and boxes you have to check before you terminate an employee. If not, your employer could be sued for wrongful termination.

It would depend on the outcome/understanding of the private conversation we would have in my office, AFTER I watched the tape. I would listen to HER SIDE of the story, having no preconceived notions or thoughts going in. I'd be open to whatever she had to say. After she was done, I would render a decision. If I thought her reason(s) did not merit the action, and after cooling off, she exhibits some contrition, I would offer her the opportunity to publicly apologize to all parties involved. If she does, she'd be retained to the end of the season with the understanding that any more displays of this nature the rest of the season, would be grounds for immediate termination. If she refused, she'd be replaced THAT day!! If I thought her reasons (the nature of which she may not be able to articulate to the media) were justified, I'd handle it personally outside of the media's purview, but with the understanding that this can't happen again.

She's gone at the end of the season.
If her position is "interim" (and it is), I'm already looking for a permanent replacement to be our new head coach. Whether she finishes the season or not depends on her showing contrition, and a willingness to publicly apologize to the opposing coach and both universities for her behavior. The act was done in public, she can apologize in public. Doing nothing about this situation would send the wrong message to all parties involved. That buck stopped on MY desk, and I would handle it, and I would keep the University president in the loop. We are currently looking at (in the news) the ramifications and fallout of what "doing nothing" on college campuses, public and private employment sectors, the entertainment industry as well as the political arena can lead to. I'm not losing my six figure a year job because of inaction, or the actions or inactions of others. CYA baby!!! ;) Texas Tech can look bad by itself, it doesn't need any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
You learn more about a person (and yourself) during hardship than when things are going well.

If I were AD? Byebye baby. Watching your back on the way out the door will be your best side.
Not sure a hand shake would be one of my top 3 hiring criteria.

Reaction Score
I don't dispute what everyone says above about her or the impropriety.
but just wondering if anyone's seen a tape of the game and assured that she didn't at least have a reason to be angry at him (not that it excuses what she did).

Because, if you ask what the AD should do, the first thing the AD needs to do is watch the tape.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Not sure a hand shake would be one of my top 3 hiring criteria.
No. It is however the attitude and inability to put a loss in it's proper prospective that is. There's nothing to a smile and a nod when you win. Character shows the same nod and a smile when you've lost. Hers to me is a losers mentality.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If she reacts that way to a 30 point loss, I hope she never takes an AAC position.
I would have thought that by now she would be well accustomed to 30-point losses. Heck, that's closer than a number of Tech's other losses.

Reaction Score
No idea how to post the link, but her Twitter feed currently says 'Let go or be dragged.'

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
So which is worse... that move... or completely walking by a coach without even acknowledging their existence?

No idea how to post the link, but her Twitter feed currently says 'Let go or be dragged.'

ha

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom