What would people think of Don Brown for HC? | The Boneyard

What would people think of Don Brown for HC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Personally this time last year I was hoping that P would be canned at the end of the year and Don Brown would be promoted. He had an exciting defense, a fiery personality and was a great recruiter with ties to the area. Maybe I'd prefer he was 45 years old, but realistically we have to think of our next hire in terms of what they're going to do in the next five years, not 20 years. I was crushed when he went to BC, it was what disappointed me most about last season.

Reaction Score
I think he was a fine DC. But I was not in love with him like most here were.

He isn't even in my top 20 to be honest.

Reaction Score
Would prefer someone w/ an offensive background pedigree (unless we are talking Narduzzi).

IMO DB is like Mangini - we can do a lot better and we can do a lot worse.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't mind it all. He had great success as the head man at UMASS, is a fiery motivator that endears himself to his players.

Reaction Score
Don Brown? Mailed it in and didn't bother to recruit here. duck* him.

Screw Thamel-toe we deserve a good coach and we will get one.

Reaction Score
Matt, Matt, Matt. Is this what you're thinking about as BCU almost embarrasses us at the Garden?

Reaction Score
Personally this time last year I was hoping that P would be canned at the end of the year and Don Brown would be promoted. He had an exciting defense, a fiery personality and was a great recruiter with ties to the area. Maybe I'd prefer he was 45 years old, but realistically we have to think of our next hire in terms of what they're going to do in the next five years, not 20 years. I was crushed when he went to BC, it was what disappointed me most about last season.

God no.

Reaction Score
Warde should interview him.

I would be happy with him as head coach. The guy's resume is stellar, he produces everywhere he goes, he won as a head coach, and the players here loved him and responded to him. Unlike P, Brown is a charismatic leader; it always felt like the defense would run through walls for the guy.

If you were to just look at resume's:

Brown > Narduzzi and they share the same approach to defense. You could make a good argument that Brown is less of a risk. Brown has 12 years of head coaching experience; Narduzzi has never been a head coach. Like Pete Lembo, Brown has won big at 3 different schools.

People are too quick to forget how bad our offense was under GDL, our defense was always on the field and still dominated most of the time.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My opinion, if DB were hired as HC would be that SH & WM failed miserably in their efforts and had to go to plan C (or possibly D).

Reaction Score
Warde should interview him.

I would be happy with him as head coach. The guy's resume is stellar, he produces everywhere he goes, he won as a head coach, and the players here loved him and responded to him. Unlike P, Brown is a charismatic leader; it always felt like the defense would run through walls for the guy.

If you were to just look at resume's:

Brown > Narduzzi and they share the same approach to defense. You could make a good argument that Brown is less of a risk. Brown has 12 years of head coaching experience; Narduzzi has never been a head coach. Like Pete Lembo, Brown has won big at 3 different schools.

People are too quick to forget how bad our offense was under GDL, our defense was always on the field and still dominated most of the time.

Agree with Mr. Mets...the DB defenses kept us at 5 and 7..without him we were 3 & 9. If GDL offense was even halfway prolific, we were at 8 & 4 both years, not 5 & 7.
He coached up a number of players including SIO, Blidi, Dwayne, Kendall and Trevardo to playing on Sunday. Can't do any better than that!!!
May be not my first choice (take Lembo first), but smart enough with improvements at three different programs in his career as a head coach. Smart enough to get out of town last
year when he saw the eventual demise of HCPP and GDL from the inside. Worthy of a long look if the top 3 choices expressed over the last 4 weeks here fall thru because I think we'd be more
than competitive. SHOULD BE CONSIDERED in the final mix

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
My opinion, if DB were hired as HC would be that SH & WM failed miserably in their efforts and had to go to plan C (or possibly D).

Agreed. He is totally a safety choice. No p5 conference is going to hire him as HC. UConn only goes to him if all other options fail.

I may be surprised...but I really think that UConn knows that to have long term viability as a football program and to be appealing to P5 conferences...UConn has to open the checkbook and make a statement with this hire. Brown has been around for years and hasn't sniffed a major head coaching gig. There has to be a reason. And at his age...I don't want to be his first foray into top level coaching ranks.

I would guess UConn either goes big name with HC experience (tier 1)...Mullen, Nutt, Mangini. Or big name without big program HC experience (tier 2)....Narduzzi, Herman, Lembo. If all that fails..then they start talking Brown...Ambrose..Moorehead.

And if they go for tier 3...Ambrose/Moorehead/Brown...I think the program is in bigger trouble than it already is. Recruiting will struggle....media will be uninspired by the hire..and UConn will have to get very good very fast to gain any respect. Not saying it's impossible...but the road will be tougher and to me that would be a failure by WM to not get UConn in a better position.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, that makes sense. NOT! It would make zero sense that - in a program that is "touchdown challenged" and "offensively anorexic", in an era where games are routinely coming in with scores like 45-37 and fans are demanding more offense than ever before - anyone on the BY would want a new head coach with a defensive pedigree (that's so 1960's).

Reaction Score
Yeah, that makes sense. NOT! It would make zero sense that - in a program that is "touchdown challenged" and "offensively anorexic", in an era where games are routinely coming in with scores like 45-37 and fans are demanding more offense than ever before - anyone on the BY would want a new head coach with a defensive pedigree (that's so 1960's).

TDH, fans care about one thing above all else and that's winning.

Reaction Score

Um, have you looked at Don Brown's offenses when he coached at UMASS. And I assure you, no poster here (except for you) would take more offense over wins.

I agree with posters that believe UCONN will be looking at a flashier hire. And I don't disagree with the reasoning given the current state of the program. But I absolutely believe Don Brown could be successful here.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
TDH, fans care about one thing above all else and that's winning.
They do, but the players to get you there are a different story. They all seem to be going to programs that can get the ball into the end zone more times in one half of play than UConn can in 3 full games. Offense is the name of the game in today's college football. Recruits are very much attract to an exciting style of play and coaches laud this style of play to land the best players.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty much with everyone else. Brown would not be at the top of my list, but he's not awful. Sort of a fall back selection in my view.

TDH wouldn't have hired Charlie Strong, I guess. After all, he spent almost his whole career on the defensive side of the ball. Probably stay away from Nick Saban, too. After all, he was the Defensive coordinator of the Browns before going to LSU and all his time as an assistant was as a defensive coach. Just because a guy is a defensive coach, doesn't mean he can't or won't put a good offense together as the HEAD Coach. You are looking for a guy who can coach.

Reaction Score
Don Brown's record as a head coach is 95-45 (.670). That includes a conference championship & making the NCAA's at all three of his head coaching stops. Let's not forgot that one of those was Northeastern, a place NO ONE thought had a chance of winning!

I've heard the "he's too old" argument too many times. Age is just a number. Anyone who has had the pleasure of listening to him speak knows he is a motivator. Ask Smallwood, Brown, etc. if they wouldn't love to have DB back. He motivated those kids & got them to perform at levels that others can't. We should be looking for a coach who has proven himself, not necessarily an offensive minded coach.

Let us not forgot that Brown's first year at HC at Northeastern Div 1aa, he beat our Div 1a UConn team...embarrassing! Don Brown=Winning!

Reaction Score
Don Brown's record as a head coach is 95-45 (.670). That includes a conference championship & making the NCAA's at all three of his head coaching stops. Let's not forgot that one of those was Northeastern, a place NO ONE thought had a chance of winning!

I've heard the "he's too old" argument too many times. Age is just a number. Anyone who has had the pleasure of listening to him speak knows he is a motivator. Ask Smallwood, Brown, etc. if they wouldn't love to have DB back. He motivated those kids & got them to perform at levels that others can't. We should be looking for a coach who has proven himself, not necessarily an offensive minded coach.

Let us not forgot that Brown's first year at HC at Northeastern Div 1aa, he beat our Div 1a UConn team...embarrassing! Don Brown=Winning!

The man has the stink of Pasqualoni all over him. No Thanks.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

So how come with all that success he never got a chance to be the head coach at the FBS level?

It just feels like there is always a reason....just like there was a reason that PP never got another HC offer after Cuse....I think we know the reason for that now.

Reaction Score
The man has the stink of Pasqualoni all over him. No Thanks.

I think this is where most of the anti Brown feelings come from and it really shows a lack critical thinking.

Our defense was outstanding both years under Brown and he is a big part of BC's success this year. Brown is a winner, PGDL are losers.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I remember back when I was applying to colleges. I visited about ten, applied to six and, provided I got into all of them, considered three to be places I could actually see myself attending. I never visited UMass because I had been there so many times before, but they were among the final six. I was basically only going there if I didn't get accepted into any of the other 5. That is what Don Brown represents to me...a safety school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom