What would KO's resume look like if ....,, | The Boneyard

What would KO's resume look like if ....,,

Reaction Score
Daniels and Hamilton stayed another year ?.. Look at SMU and Cincy that are pretty good teams this year. A big part of that is they have players who have been in the system for 3 or 4 years. Neither team has has a player leave early for the draft. They have team chemistry and experience something we have been lacking..

This is a thought I would like to see what others think.

Reaction Score
There will always be some players who leave early. A coach respected by his players will minimize that.
The bid deal is when players, who are not ready for prime time, leave early because they do not believe their coaching staff will make them better (and thus richer) if they stay.

Reaction Score
KO has some responsibility here too. He's put 1 guy into the NBA as a 1st rounder, and 2 guys left early while failing to be picked in the 1st round.

Under JC, with dozens of NBA draft picks, only one guy left early and failed to become a 1st round pick (KEA, whose ceiling arguably was not much higher).

Reaction Score
I'm tired of the what ifs - it's time for his teams to start having seasons that line up with the talent level UConn puts out on the court.

There are plenty of mysteries in the frontcourt next season, but their guards and wings should be really good. Let's start with living up to - if not succeeding - the preseason expectations again.

Reaction Score
I'm tired of the what ifs - it's time for his teams to start having seasons that line up with the talent level UConn puts out on the court.

There are plenty of mysteries in the frontcourt next season, but their guards and wings should be really good. Let's start with living up to - if not succeeding - the preseason expectations again.

Next season not 1 player will be in the roll they were in this season.. Many with minimal experience..With a front loaded schedule ( do to horrible conference) it is going to be hard to get a on court chemistry going. We failed out of the gate this season and that was a large part of it.

Reaction Score
I would love to know JC's candid opinion on the coaching and development of the program. Obviously, he's never going share his true feelings publicly, but it would be interesting to hear his assessment. I also wonder whether he's thought of approaching KO at all about offering up some assistance on the coaching end, or whether he thinks that's not appropriate. On the flipside, I wonder if KO has thought about reaching out to JC to provide assistance in a meaningful way, or whether doing something like that would look like waving the flag of surrender and admitting defeat. They both want this program to succeed in a major way, and because KO's coaching experience is limited, help from JC would be invaluable. I don't know, somethings got to happen during the off-season in improving the performance and having the guys ready on day one.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What would his resume look like if "coach on the floor" Bazz left early? The further removed we get from 2014 the more I think Bazz was the driver and the coaching staff passengers along for the ride.
I'm pretty sure Bazz doesn't stay if Ollie isn't our coach. Regardless, the job Ollie did getting Bazz and Boat to come together was masterful.

Reaction Score
Next season not 1 player will be in the roll they were in this season.. Many with minimal experience..With a front loaded schedule ( do to horrible conference) it is going to be hard to get a on court chemistry going. We failed out of the gate this season and that was a large part of it.
More excuses. That was the excuse this season and last season as well.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Bazz doesn't stay if Ollie isn't our coach. Regardless, the job Ollie did getting Bazz and Boat to come together was masterful.

Excuses!!!

Oh wait, sorry. You were stating actual facts. I'll get you on the next post... ;)

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
What would his resume look like if "coach on the floor" Bazz left early? The further removed we get from 2014 the more I think Bazz was the driver and the coaching staff passengers along for the ride.

Ya, definitely.

What would the Pats look like without Brady? What would have happened if 15 things happened every season we won a title?

The answer is, what does that matter?

Reaction Score
More excuses. That was the excuse this season and last season as well.
Nah, UConn's the only program in the country that ever loses players. How can we expect them to overcome something like senior role players graduating?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I would love to know JC's candid opinion on the coaching and development of the program. Obviously, he's never going share his true feelings publicly, but it would be interesting to hear his assessment. I also wonder whether he's thought of approaching KO at all about offering up some assistance on the coaching end, or whether he thinks that's not appropriate. On the flipside, I wonder if KO has thought about reaching out to JC to provide assistance in a meaningful way, or whether doing something like that would look like waving the flag of surrender and admitting defeat. They both want this program to succeed in a major way, and because KO's coaching experience is limited, help from JC would be invaluable. I don't know, somethings got to happen during the off-season in improving the performance and having the guys ready on day one.

I think any long time fan can answer this. They lack the fight that JC teams had. Who are the guys that are going to "impose their will" on the game. A phrase JC used constantly. Where are the men amongst boys? RP could be that guy in spurts offensively. Adams at times when 100% and not trying to force too much.

The guys that left early and failed are just more examples of this. Bazz, Boat, Kemba, Caron, the Marshalls, Ollie, Shef, even Thabeet, Boone, and Armstrong all played with an edge. Facey in the 2nd half of the season played with an edge and would definitely be that guy if he had another year. Brimah never had it and clogged up a spot waiting for him to develop but that wasn't all on him. Daniels and Hamilton passed on the challenge and though 20 minutes of solid play was enough to turn pro. All had holed in their game. The defensive liabilities were on full display yesterday. If KO is going to be a worth successor, then the guys that got bigger minutes this year and those who were hurt need to become those fighters and assassins that will make it hard on opponents for 40 minutes every night. So much of it is mental. The mental errors yesterday have been there all season and came from the upperclassmen more often than not.

Reaction Score
From what I've heard, someone who knows someone told me that KO banned JC from practices and has distanced himself from JC the last couple of years. Granted this is hearsay but it is from someone who knows those very close to the program. Has anyone else heard this?

Reaction Score
You know he did leave early right?

Yes of course, after his sophomore year was my point.

Pretty simple many want to give props to Bazz not KO for that NC, well in that case who gets the credit for Kemba's superior run? Quite honestly very similar jobs by the coaches and their staffs even though they had tremendous leadership in those 2 PG's.

Reaction Score
I think any long time fan can answer this. They lack the fight that JC teams had. Who are the guys that are going to "impose their will" on the game. A phrase JC used constantly. Where are the men amongst boys? RP could be that guy in spurts offensively. Adams at times when 100% and not trying to force too much.

The guys that left early and failed are just more examples of this. Bazz, Boat, Kemba, Caron, the Marshalls, Ollie, Shef, even Thabeet, Boone, and Armstrong all played with an edge. Facey in the 2nd half of the season played with an edge and would definitely be that guy if he had another year. Brimah never had it and clogged up a spot waiting for him to develop but that wasn't all on him. Daniels and Hamilton passed on the challenge and though 20 minutes of solid play was enough to turn pro. All had holed in their game. The defensive liabilities were on full display yesterday. If KO is going to be a worth successor, then the guys that got bigger minutes this year and those who were hurt need to become those fighters and assassins that will make it hard on opponents for 40 minutes every night. So much of it is mental. The mental errors yesterday have been there all season and came from the upperclassmen more often than not.

Have to disagree to a point but get where you're going. Brimah has the fight I do believe, he just can't be lumped into the Thabeet, Boone and even Hilton grouping as he wasn't half the payer naturally as any of those named. The guys you name here are almost all better than the players thrown on the floor this year, actually they just are. I saw the fight this year, there are times it could be questioned I guess, but I liked the fight I saw especially in the run they made.

DHam was an enigma, seems he came in to showcase his offensive skills and also rebounded the hell out of the ball though. We miss that piece, but I feel he did play hard for the most part, just a bot out of control still after 2 years. Deandre just tried to capitalize on a nice JR year and I believe he made the wrong decision, they're kids.

Hey no excuses next year, but from what I saw the team plays hard with what they have, it just isn't enough.

Reaction Score
As much as DHam frustrated us at times, he would be a level above anyone we had on our team this past year. And had Dham had DeAndre, our season last year could have been a lot better too. I think its unfair to blame that on Ollie. Its a thing line you have to play as a coach we wants to empower your players because other kids are watching too. Both Dham and DeAndre knew they werent going to be 1st round picks and that it was going to be a tough path to the NBA but both insisted anyways. Ollie's hands are tied even if he knows they are ready and that coming back to Uconn for another year would improve their stock and help Uconn be that much better in the future.

I hope he's using them as lessons for future kids. Like Jalen, there is 0 reasons for this kid to enter the draft, to me it would be the equivelent of Dham leaving early (only Dham's sophomore season was better than Jalen's). Ollie has to make sure he keeps kids that like that grounded. Jalen should at LEAST stay another year, maybe 2. Obviously DeAdnre should have stayed another year too.

lets just see how things workout. If Jalen and Larrier (if he comes back healthy and has a good season) both have a good season next year and still opt to come back for another, thats absolutely invaluable to Uconn. Obvisouly if they are ready and the draft stock is there they go, but if they arent... Ollie has to do his best to convince them to stay. Lets just see how things pan out. We have great opportunity though to have some really seasoned NBA talent upperclassmen on our team next year and the year after.

Reaction Score
Wow. Prestige strike against criticism of Ollie. I love it.

Reaction Score

The guys that left early and failed are just more examples of this. Bazz, Boat, Kemba, Caron, the Marshalls, Ollie, Shef, even Thabeet, Boone, and Armstrong all played with an edge

The only player who played with a "edge" this year was Jalen.

I'm all for recruiting quality young men who are players BUT every team need a few Rod Sellers types who when they foul there is no chance of a And 1. KO needs to get a few guys with a bit of attitude and play with a chip on their shoulders. Not these "nice" kids.. Amida and Rodney are nice kids the results from them were not good.

Reaction Score
This years team allowed more and ones from soft fouls than any team I ever recall.. They played SOFT.

Reaction Score
KO has some responsibility here too. He's put 1 guy into the NBA as a 1st rounder, and 2 guys left early while failing to be picked in the 1st round.

Under JC, with dozens of NBA draft picks, only one guy left early and failed to become a 1st round pick (KEA, whose ceiling arguably was not much higher).
No reason to ever compare the two coaches, add that when JC left the program with multiple transfers, NCAA probation, and postseason ban.

Oh yea, add one more thing, American conference.

And another, JC is Hall of Famer and a top 3 coach of all time.

Stop with the silliness.

Reaction Score
No reason to ever compare the two coaches, add that when JC left the program with multiple transfers, NCAA probation, and postseason ban.

Oh yea, add one more thing, American conference.

And another, JC is Hall of Famer and a top 3 coach of all time.

Stop with the silliness.

My point isn't simply that JC got guys to the League and KO hasn't.

It's that JC seemingly had the cachet and gravitas so that his players would listen to him if he felt they weren't ready. Basically nobody left before they were ready, and some even stayed for an additional year despite having the ability to be drafted. That was a key aspect of our blue-blood-like sustained performance from 1994-2009.

KO so far has gotten Shabazz and Boat to stick around, but has already had 2 guys leave early who didn't even get picked in the 1st round. That's not a great track record.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom