What would be your go to 5? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What would be your go to 5?

Reaction Score
I would start the game with:
Muhl, ONO, Edwards, Williams, Bueckers.

I would end the game with:
Westbrook, Yuhaz, Ducharme, Fudd, and Bueckers.

Reaction Score
Context is everything. Not just "positionless" basketball
but what is needed: at that time, against that opponent,
with that special "it" factor required for energy , momentum,
and/or " make a stop/ make a score". I enjoy watching
the whole scene develope in front of me and I rarely
view it as " what is the 'best' five " as an absolute value.
Given that, I think that Geno will "find" the combination that
gives the team the best 'mix" for most situations and that
will be the " starting five" and those who will have the most playing
time at the end of 40 minutes. Go Huskies!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geno will shorten the rotation for sure.
That’s his history, I wonder, though, if one of this teams great strengths is it’s roster depth and its ability to keep legs fresh, deal worth foul trouble etc.

If everyone had stayed healthy, there’s no way that we would’ve played as many people as many minutes as we have. But having had the season we’ve had, with its need to play so many young players significant minutes, it seems shortsighted to set that aside and go with a more limited rotation.

Reaction Score
Don’t need a goto 5 when you have a goto 9. :cool:
I wish I wrote that. The greatest team UCONN has had in a couple of years NINE strong. Geno, by design or need, has created a great Mix and match group. Plug in's. Kinda like the computer plug and play add-ons.
Geno has been thought of as having had his greatest coaching year often in his NEAR 40 years at Uconn. This one if not the greatest must be among the top greatest. Freshmen performing like Seniors doesn't happen often but AZZI, Caroline, Dorka (new to Geno's style), others out performed expectations. The Providence game was sweet frosting on the cake this team baked.

Reaction Score
Against all teams........leaves you with an effective big, a defensive spark plug, a calming veteran guard and extra scoring fire power inside and out

PB

CW
ONO
AE

Reaction Score
IMO you need 2 bigs against the top teams so while the best players on UConn are guards and if you go by the best 5 it would probably be Paige, Azzi, CD, CW and ONO with E, DJ, AE, and Nika of the bench, I'll go with Paige, Azzi, CW, DJ and ONO.

Reaction Score
I want to see a lineup with Nika and Paige playing simultaneously...and three others. Paige needs to start shooting.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
IMO that can't be a constant. Depending on who we are playing the matchups and requirements can fluctuate. I will say that Paige, Azzi and Liv are the 3 that have to on be the floor at crunch time with the other 2 players being dictated by situation.

Reaction Score
Against all teams........leaves you with an effective big, a defensive spark plug, a calming veteran guard and extra scoring fire power inside and out

PB
Azzi Fudd
CW
ONO
AE
I was thinking about this line-up and started tinkering with it a bit. Aaliyah needs to be down low to be most effective, in my opinion- she doesn't pass well when up high, and her game really is centered around and near the basket. So, what if we wanted to put Caroline in AE's place, what is gained and what is lost? Aaliyah is much stronger physically, against a big forward she can hold ground well. She does score but not in great volumes. Caroline at 6-2 is almost as tall and actually has good, maybe better, footwork with the ball down low, she is crafty and can maneuver better around the basket too. Of course, she has a better outside shot too with much greater range. Maybe if she is the 4, she pulls the other 4 away from the basket, which might open things up more for the other guards.

Sometimes you just need a big, powerful forward though, if we were going to double team Boston, for example, I'd rather Aaliyah be squeezing her with Ono than Caroline. They don't call over-the-back fouls as often when a physical big like Boston is matched against a smaller, lighter person guarding her.

Reaction Score
Unless the opponent is going small, I like the idea of controlling the boards with two bigger effective rebounders........If ONO is spending a good amount of time above the foul line that gives Edwards room to operate down low.......I view CD as a great outside/inside offensive option off the bench who also can be an effective defender using her size matched up against smaller players.....

Reaction Score
Nika
Christyn
Azzi
Aaliyah
Olivia

Nika - is the key to getting this team going/feeling confident in terms of defensive pressure, good defense translates to good offense and Nika, along with Olivia, is the key.

Christyn - been playing well on both ends, also important to the defensive effort, our senior guard, Geno trusts her.

Azzi - She spreads the floor in a way that even Paige can't do right now anyways, keeps the other teams defense honest, she's had the hot hands so I say you go with that, takes the edge off with that silky jump shot.

Aaliyah - seems to be climbing back to good form at the right time, more defensively versatile than Dorka, because she can switch off/on, get out in passing lanes, and run the floor, she better suits the defensive effort that this team starts off with, most physical player we have.

Olivia - Our senior post who's playing the best all around game of her entire career, rim protector, makes our defensive pressure possible, great passer from the high post.

I think it's clear that E plays better coming off the bench.

Paige has not had enough playing time to warrant removing one of the other guards from the starting lineup IMO. Also think it's best not to do too much too soon with her, I know she looks good, but lets be real she's had surgery and been out for two months since she last started.

Caroline is a good all around player but she's a fresh and she doesn't bring what the other 3 guards or Paige bring.

Dorka still worries me at times with her hands and I don't know if she has the physicality to match some of the better teams posts that we'll hopefully face later in the tournament...Aaliyah does.
I too worry about Dorka’s hands in the low post but Aaliyah‘s hands are subject also but as for physicality Dorka played the best defense against Depaul’s Morrow who pushed Liv around And rag dolled Aaliyah on more than one occasion. Aaliyah has been playing much better and I would have no problem playing either one of them against the quality big from another team. I do believe that Dorko misses less bunny layups than Aaliyah does which drives me crazy. Those six points a game Aaliyah gives up on Miss layups may be your downfall in a tight game. As for Caroline I think you are wildly underestimating her she carried this team when they needed it the most as a freshman. Her off fence is well above average and her defense is solid she’s a good shot blocker And a good rebounder. With Paige on the floor I could see her playing before Nika

Reaction Score
If we’re talking crunch time, Paige, Azzi, and Caroline are the ones who have shown consistent ability to make clutch plays.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom