What would be your go to 5? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What would be your go to 5?

Reaction Score
For all the reasons that @billnaples mentioned there is no real answer to the question. Regardless of matchups or score Paige and ONO, and probably Azzi,, have to be on the floor in any kind of crunch time. The other two or three are situational. Is defense or offense more important? Is quickness or height more important? Who has a hot hand? This team has so many good players that finding the right 5 for a given situation is luxury we have.

Reaction Score
Nika
Christyn
Azzi
Aaliyah
Olivia

Nika - is the key to getting this team going/feeling confident in terms of defensive pressure, good defense translates to good offense and Nika, along with Olivia, is the key.

Christyn - been playing well on both ends, also important to the defensive effort, our senior guard, Geno trusts her.

Azzi - She spreads the floor in a way that even Paige can't do right now anyways, keeps the other teams defense honest, she's had the hot hands so I say you go with that, takes the edge off with that silky jump shot.

Aaliyah - seems to be climbing back to good form at the right time, more defensively versatile than Dorka, because she can switch off/on, get out in passing lanes, and run the floor, she better suits the defensive effort that this team starts off with, most physical player we have.

Olivia - Our senior post who's playing the best all around game of her entire career, rim protector, makes our defensive pressure possible, great passer from the high post.

I think it's clear that E plays better coming off the bench.

Paige has not had enough playing time to warrant removing one of the other guards from the starting lineup IMO. Also think it's best not to do too much too soon with her, I know she looks good, but lets be real she's had surgery and been out for two months since she last started.

Caroline is a good all around player but she's a fresh and she doesn't bring what the other 3 guards or Paige bring.

Dorka still worries me at times with her hands and I don't know if she has the physicality to match some of the better teams posts that we'll hopefully face later in the tournament...Aaliyah does.
Paige is the Best Womens basketball player on the team and will be in the starting lineup. Azzi and Paige will be the guards that see the most minutes as UConn progresses in the post season.

Reaction Score
Geno will shorten the rotation for sure.
DAVEINNAPLES probably knows as well as anyone but I ask the question can anyone remember a roster where there were truly 8 or 9 players with the collective talent like this club has and how were minutes distributed in the sweet 16 and beyond? I know all the years where Geno used 6 or 7. But it begs the question if he is to shorten the rotation who gets the hook?

Reaction Score
DAVEINNAPLES probably knows as well as anyone but I ask the question can anyone remember a roster where there were truly 8 or 9 players with the collective talent like this club has and how were minutes distributed in the sweet 16 and beyond? I know all the years where Geno used 6 or 7. But it begs the question if he is to shorten the rotation who gets the hook?
2001 before the injuries to Shea and Svetlana. Also, Stewie’s first season. They had nine future WNBA players.

Reaction Score
2001 before the injuries to Shea and Svetlana. Also, Stewie’s first season. They had nine future WNBA players.
It was Shea's senior year so her injuries had slowed her down. Its hard to pick against 2000-2001 because of the future Hall of Famers, but Paige/ Bird , Taurasi/ Fudd...are interesting conversations.

Reaction Score
Okay with 8 but Doty Buck and Banks (who may have been WNBA) but was certainly not in the rotation

mudblood

Incorrigible optimist
Reaction Score
Without any of the seniors?! Bold prediction
Could be. It's a question of matchups. Edwards and Dorka are better than Liv against SC frontcourt. and Paige, Azzi and Caroline Ducharme are the only ones than can do all of create their own shot, have vision for passing, and shoot the 3, which is a necessary combo against their defense

Reaction Score
I realize it is a game of match-ups, but I would go with Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Evina and Dorka. Just wondering what y'all think?
I've been a huge proponent of short benches though I could have possibly seen 9 but thought 7 overall. Not now. This season- at this time - I don't think they have a set 5 or should have one at this moment. I think Geno goes with 9 and sees who plays best. And he keeps Paige's health in mind. . I prefer what he is doing - right now and that is go with all 9 and see who is playing best during the game.

There is no set 5 this year. I believe what Geno is going todo this year is what quite a few wanted which is play more of bench to see who is playing best. And I'm totally on board with that. :) And I like to see them press if matchup is favorable. :) And I haven't been a big advocate of that the past few years either. When you press, their usually isn't a complete set of 5. For example, I love watching Edwards defense on the perimeter at times.

Not too much vs Nova though. :)

Reaction Score
Paige is the Best Womens basketball player on the team and will be in the starting lineup. Azzi and Paige will be the guards that see the most minutes as UConn progresses in the post season.
I totally misunderstood the original post. I thought we were talking about starting 5. If we're talking a go-to 5 in crunch time against a top 10 team then yes Paige is in, and Nika is out. I'd even place Caroline above Nika in crunch time, but starting off the game I'd have Nika over Caroline and even Paige (until we see her play some more minutes and continue getting back to best health) just because Nika sets the tone for this team. I'm still not totally sold on this teams half court offense, so to me getting off on the right foot on defense is vital for them. With Azzi and now Paige stepping into bigger roles, my opinion on the half court execution may soon change.

Reaction Score
Against SC in the championship game, it would be Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Edwards and Dorka
Lets review the matchups in my opinion
1. Boston guarded by Liv
2. Saxton guarded by Edwards
3. Beal guarded by Paige
4. Cooke by Azzi
5. Henderson guarded by CW

I think we are better on 4 out of 5 on the matchups and we have a strong bench with Dorka on the bigs if they bring in Cardosa. Caroline would be a matchup problem for them. Nika is not quick enough for matchup Henderson. She would blow by her but maybe we could then rotate and trap her. We would let them shoot all the three's they want and then rebound and run the break on them like we did in the beggining of our first game. We have fresh troops now and the real Azzi, Caroline, Dorka, and Nika. Win by ten at least

PvP

Reaction Score
Nika
Christyn
Azzi
Aaliyah
Olivia

Nika - is the key to getting this team going/feeling confident in terms of defensive pressure, good defense translates to good offense and Nika, along with Olivia, is the key.

Christyn - been playing well on both ends, also important to the defensive effort, our senior guard, Geno trusts her.

Azzi - She spreads the floor in a way that even Paige can't do right now anyways, keeps the other teams defense honest, she's had the hot hands so I say you go with that, takes the edge off with that silky jump shot.

Aaliyah - seems to be climbing back to good form at the right time, more defensively versatile than Dorka, because she can switch off/on, get out in passing lanes, and run the floor, she better suits the defensive effort that this team starts off with, most physical player we have.

Olivia - Our senior post who's playing the best all around game of her entire career, rim protector, makes our defensive pressure possible, great passer from the high post.

I think it's clear that E plays better coming off the bench.

Paige has not had enough playing time to warrant removing one of the other guards from the starting lineup IMO. Also think it's best not to do too much too soon with her, I know she looks good, but lets be real she's had surgery and been out for two months since she last started.

Caroline is a good all around player but she's a fresh and she doesn't bring what the other 3 guards or Paige bring.

Dorka still worries me at times with her hands and I don't know if she has the physicality to match some of the better teams posts that we'll hopefully face later in the tournament...Aaliyah does.
Yeah, let's keep that National Player of the Year on the bench -- she is so last year!!! Jeeez....

Reaction Score
If we are talking about FF or NC and another 5-6 weeks away, it would be very strange if PB does not start. IMHO, our staring line up would be:
PB
Olivia
Christyn
Azzi
Nika or Aaliyah (depending on matchup}

Reaction Score
I don't care as much about which specific 5, but I hope and expect Geno to use a full rotation of 9 as he has seen the benefits of it the last few games. I would be open to 4 guards for certain situations, but not as a regular diet, and I would try to have at least 2 from Paige, Azzi and Caroline on the floor at all times.

My reason for that is we need more than one serious 3pt threat on the floor to open it up inside for the bigs and penetration. A combo of Nika, Christyn and Evina for example does not work well in my opinion, despite all three being fine players. If I were an opposing coach I would not lose sleep over the prospect of those three jacking up occasional open 3's. I would guard against inside instead.

Paige will play significant minutes in time, but unless she is teamed with Azzi or Caroline she doesn't have a "great" 3pt shooter to pass to. With one or even better, two of those with her the opposing defense has to stretch to the perimeter. When they do, the nice thing is Paige, Azzi and Caroline can all take it to the hoop, and all have effective pull up jumpers. Triple threats if you will, and Liv, Dorka and Aaliyah can feast on far more easy opportunities.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I don't care as much about which specific 5, but I hope and expect Geno to use a full rotation of 9 as he has seen the benefits of it the last few games. I would be open to 4 guards for certain situations, but not as a regular diet, and I would try to have at least 2 from Paige, Azzi and Caroline on the floor at all times.
I started thinking about the different lineups we've seen this entire season, mostly due to few/no options, but now, we have 4 talented players that can come off the bench. If we look at the latest lineup (excluding SR day) of Edwards, ONO, Williams, Muhl & Fudd, that allows a sub group of Paige, CD, EW, and Dorka. Phew.

The two most ppg average (excluding lineups that only appeared once) are these, with 83.3 and 83.3:
View attachment 73844
Having Evina, Paige, Caroline, and Edwards come off the bench sparks memories of Shea, Caroline, Bria, Maya, Diana eras. Perhaps even more important, is the interchangeability and combos of C/F and G players. In a recent game, the announcer said that Geno worked through 5-6 lineups prior to a game, so I think he could be very flexible, depending on the opponent, however I think he will stick with same starters once the BET starts as it will develop a rhythm. That being said, no guarantees on who subs in and for how long.

Reaction Score
I think this is a pretty unique situation. There are not just nine players who can play at a high level, but nine players who can, on the right night, carry the team. Is there a single player among the nine in the main rotation who wan't named "badass" at least once this season? At one of the press conferences Geno said "someone has to start" but he didn't seem to think that meant all that much.

Reaction Score
Azzi
Paige
Caroline
Edwards
Dorka

Evina comes off the bench. ONO comes off the bench.

I think that top five will also be the starting five come November. They're the ones who have been most consistent, most talented, and perform best together.

Reaction Score
I realize it is a game of match-ups, but I would go with Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Evina and Dorka. Just wondering what y'all think?
Depends who we are playing, but for an average size team……

Azzi, Paige, CW, Caroline, and Ono or Dorka

Against a bigger team…..

Azzi, Paige, CW, Ono and Dorka or Edwards

Against a very quick team…..

Azzi, Paige, CW, Edwards, and Caroline or Westbrook

Reaction Score
Lets review the matchups in my opinion
1. Boston guarded by Liv
2. Saxton guarded by Edwards
3. Beal guarded by Paige
4. Cooke by Azzi
5. Henderson guarded by CW

I think we are better on 4 out of 5 on the matchups and we have a strong bench with Dorka on the bigs if they bring in Cardosa. Caroline would be a matchup problem for them. Nika is not quick enough for matchup Henderson. She would blow by her but maybe we could then rotate and trap her. We would let them shoot all the three's they want and then rebound and run the break on them like we did in the beggining of our first game. We have fresh troops now and the real Azzi, Caroline, Dorka, and Nika. Win by ten at least
I would put Azzi on Beal and Paige on Cooke. I don't think Azzi can keep Cooke out of the lane for extended stretches. Paige is a better on ball defender and Azzi is a better help defender.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom