What would be your go to 5? | The Boneyard

What would be your go to 5?

Reaction Score
Those of us here, and I believe there are a few, that have wanted UConn to utilize their deep, talented bench now have what we wished for. We got here in a funky way, but we're here nonetheless. Maybe the way it transpired is the only way it could have happened. Let's not screw it up now!
The best 5 are the 5 players that are playing the best together at that time. Players can come in and out depending on fatigue and performance. By the time it matters, a couple weeks from now, the coaches will know the combinations pretty well. Paige, Azzi, and Christyn can start with 2 bigs. IMO the bigs are all playing well. They're interchangeable. Maybe we can go small, with 1 big or big, with 3 bigs.
Think of the possibilities!! Don't revert back to this "only playing 6" stuff. All these kids can light it up and they all have huge assets to contribute. This isn't pre-season! Tomorrow is March. Buckle up, this should be fun!
Do we want to sit CD? Heck no! She's a scorer and she's long. Do we sit Nika? Heck no! She's a leader and she's tough as nails. How about AE? Heck no! She can break out for 3-4 buckets anytime. She runs the floor. E? Best all-around player on the team, including PB?

Reaction Score
OMG... it's the Pre-Season all over again??? :D:D;);)
NO Offense @topogigio

We have 9 productive players that Geno Trusts in virtually any situation. He does his best Coaching at the end of the year...and it will be no different this year. Geno (and his Coaching Staff) will be like a Maestro directing a symphony, calling on the right Player (Musical Instrument) at the right time given the situation on the court. It's gonna be magical!!! and the perfect story book ending to the movie!!!

GO HUSKIES

Reaction Score
Nika
Christyn
Azzi
Aaliyah
Olivia

Nika - is the key to getting this team going/feeling confident in terms of defensive pressure, good defense translates to good offense and Nika, along with Olivia, is the key.

Christyn - been playing well on both ends, also important to the defensive effort, our senior guard, Geno trusts her.

Azzi - She spreads the floor in a way that even Paige can't do right now anyways, keeps the other teams defense honest, she's had the hot hands so I say you go with that, takes the edge off with that silky jump shot.

Aaliyah - seems to be climbing back to good form at the right time, more defensively versatile than Dorka, because she can switch off/on, get out in passing lanes, and run the floor, she better suits the defensive effort that this team starts off with, most physical player we have.

Olivia - Our senior post who's playing the best all around game of her entire career, rim protector, makes our defensive pressure possible, great passer from the high post.

I think it's clear that E plays better coming off the bench.

Paige has not had enough playing time to warrant removing one of the other guards from the starting lineup IMO. Also think it's best not to do too much too soon with her, I know she looks good, but lets be real she's had surgery and been out for two months since she last started.

Caroline is a good all around player but she's a fresh and she doesn't bring what the other 3 guards or Paige bring.

Dorka still worries me at times with her hands and I don't know if she has the physicality to match some of the better teams posts that we'll hopefully face later in the tournament...Aaliyah does.

Reaction Score
The question is a good one.. Or an incomplete one. There are a myriad of answers. Give me some clarity for how much time left, what is the score, who is on the floor in the other uniform by skill and size and then you can begin to get meaningful answers. Having said that as "oldude" observed we now have a pretty decent nine from whom to choose. Do I need a point guard stopper maybe Nika. Do I need board dominance then ODO, Dorka, and Edwards probably two of the three. Scorers? Azzi, Paige, Caroline, CD, Ev in some combo. I hope the real answer is to go to DeBerry and Gabrial because other than some lady singing the party is over.

Reaction Score
NO Offense @topogigio

We have 9 productive players that Geno Trusts in virtually any situation. He does his best Coaching at the end of the year...and it will be no different this year. Geno (and his Coaching Staff) will be like a Maestro directing a symphony, calling on the right Player (Musical Instrument) at the right time given the situation on the court. It's gonna be magical!!! and the perfect story book ending to the movie!!!

GO HUSKIES
100% You and I wrote our posts at the same time. Great Analogy!
How about playing a poker hand with 4 aces. Some of these BY'ers would still be biting their fingernails.
Even with my limited coaching experience, you habitually look down the bench, like a nervous twitch. Always thinking about whether there's a better combination you can put out there. What was it like for GA to look down there and see one bench player. Imagine it now. Must feel like coaching an all-star game. And every player is so dynamic in their own way!

Reaction Score
NO Offense @topogigio

h fiub
GO HUSKIES
no offense taken, @PAHuskyFan. There will, however, be a time when you need your absolute best 5 out there, We have seen this team play the entire regular season now, and I was curious as to who the Boneyarders thought are the best 5. If we get to the final 4, I will make book that Geno has his rotation shortened considerably.

Reaction Score
no offense taken, @PAHuskyFan. There will, however, be a time when you need your absolute best 5 out there, We have seen this team play the entire regular season now, and I was curious as to who the Boneyarders thought are the best 5. If we get to the final 4, I will make book that Geno has his rotation shortened considerably.
I would be totally shocked if your prediction is correct.

Reaction Score
Nika, Paige, Azzi, CW, Liv (with, of course loads of subbing with Caroline Ducharme, Dorka, AE, Evina in no order depending on opponent)

Reaction Score
Come on PaHusky, that's not where your head is, is it? I must have misread your post.
It's about having fire power up and down that bench, and at any moment one of those players can be going off!
Sorry, I think I need to hibernate for a couple of weeks and just enjoy watching the games. Is the BY going to do everything possible to get this team down to 5 or 6 players. Sorry I know some of you guys think that way, but I don't see how a bench of talented, star players can be anything but an asset. Are we going to run into an Arizona or Miss St and get stalled big time offensively and sit on our hands and not use some of this firepower? I cringe...

Reaction Score
We will see subbing become less until the finals of the BE tourney where we will see the starting lineup that will take us into the Big Dance. That lineup will be Paige, CW, Azzi, ONO, DORKA starting. I hope I’m wrong, because the liberal subbing is a major advantage.

Reaction Score
Gotcha @topogigio ;);)

I agree with @billnaples that so much depends on the game situation, but my "GoTo 5" would be:
Paige, CW, Azzi, ONO and Dorka. I think this gives us solid defense, rebounding, and real good offense.

BUT if we're in the last few minutes and we need 3s... I'll have to change Evina for Olivia. This gives us 5 who can make 3s, and still maintain defense and rebounding.

Thing is... any given night, and any given game and any given opponent, presents different circumstances that will alter the "GoTo 5" .... and I'm glad there are 9 players to match up.

I am glad this is Geno's and his Coaches Job to figure out...their years of managing this stuff gives us an advantage over most other teams in my humble opinion.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As was true last season, Christyn is ending this season playing really well and seems to be in a good spot shooting the 3. Her 3-point shooting at now at 37%, 2nd best on the team. Her defense has been really good too.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
One thing I've learned is that on this board the minute you post a preference for a certain player in a certain situation, someone's going to accuse you of hating on some other player. Not going to play that game, I love them all. The beautiful thing about this team right now is that, not only do they know themselves, they know each other... That is to say, they understand how the team as a whole needs to function - old school Husky ball. Trust Geno to have the right five on the floor, I like our chances with whatever he decides.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom