What will you remember the most about this Championship Team? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What will you remember the most about this Championship Team?

Reaction Score
There’s just something to be said about a team who just absolutely dominates in a dogfight. Having guys like kemba or shabazz take over is amazing, but when you have a physically imposing team like this it’s an awesome feeling knowing that you’re going into every game saying: “we’re going to grind you down and beat your ass”

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
That's it, Matrim. It was team ball from start to finish.
The selflessness extended beyond the court, too. I watched every single press conference this year, and every single player was loathe to take any credit. I could make a master mix of "credit to my teammates" that would easily go over 10 minutes long. It was really special how this team embraced #weseason and credit to Danny for getting them bought in, especially in this age of social media where it's all about building your brand, etc. He built the culture brick by brick, player by player, and it paid off in a massive way.

Reaction Score
10-1 record overall in the final four is insane, wow! 5-0 in championship games, maybe even more insane.

Beating every OOC team by double digits is also crazy and speaks to the strength of the BE that UConn would have a tough time getting to 13-7. BE was a very good conference this year.

How the team overcame that 2-6 stretch and bounced back to kick butt and take names!

Reaction Score
The smothering defense and offensive fluidity were fun to watch. The depth of talent was incredible.

But most of all, this year's squad was one of the most likable in terms of character, personality and team chemistry.

Fs2fmwfWcAMyWhd.jpg

Reaction Score
I'll remember never being nervous. There were a few minutes tonight where I was banging my head we should be up 25 and we were only up 10. There was a 20 second point period were I had a sweat when Miami took it to 8. We responded when it mattered that game and we did last night, I knew we would.

Tonight was our C+ game and we beat them up. Our B+ or A game wins that by an easy 25-30.

What I'll remember most is my best friends having their best weekends ever. One of them a close 75 year old man, never thought he would see one national title and getting to experience #5...

Danny Hurley, a Jersey City kid who went through the ringer coming out on top. My dad and uncle grew up with Bob Sr. and went through the Prep with him (St. Peter's) they never could believe what he did with St. Anthony's

I cried a bit tonight knowing my dad would've shed some tears for UConn and for Jersey City (Hurleys.)

This is all very surreal and unbelievable but at the same time it seems like it's what was supposed to happen. This is a beast of a program.

I have more thoughts on all of this...

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
As was already said, the depth and consistent talent we had this year with the number of guys who contributed meaningfully.

When we went to our bench, we didn’t lose anything in production and if someone had an off night, someone else stepped up. Probably our deepest single team ever IMO.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
So many huge moments, but when we came out in the 2nd half and opened a huge can of whoop ass on Gonzaga my jaw dropped and knew right then we'd never lose again.
Plus, every Ajax thunder dunk I'd actually laugh and scream like a kid!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What I will remember:
  • 14-0 start, winning the PK and hyped Alabama
  • Mid season stumble
  • Luke Murray coached at Seton Hall
  • Bill Murray!
  • Hurley paints!
  • Adama’s awesome skills under the hoop
  • Hawkins shooting
  • Joey C / Newton / Karaban shooting
  • Jackson’s dunks
  • Defense
  • Rebounds!!! This team got rebounds!
  • The fact that our second unit was practically another top 25 team.
  • Clingan- we have a giant, do you?!?!
  • The tournament- Albany/Vegas/Houston - double digit wins and explosive second 1/2s.
  • Danny Hurley- he learned to stop riding the team too hard
  • Danny Hurley!

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'll remember never being nervous. There were a few minutes tonight where I was banging my head we should be up 25 and we were only up 10. There was a 20 second point period were I had a sweat when Miami took it to 8. We responded when it mattered that game and we did last night, I knew we would.

Tonight was our C+ game and we beat them up. Our B+ or A game wins that by an easy 25-30.

What I'll remember most is my best friends having their best weekends ever. One of them a close 75 year old man, never thought he would see one national title and getting to experience #5...

Danny Hurley, a Jersey City kid who went through the ringer coming out on top. My dad and uncle grew up with Bob Sr. and went through the Prep with him (St. Peter's) they never could believe what he did with St. Anthony's

I cried a bit tonight knowing my dad would've shed some tears for UConn and for Jersey City (Hurleys.)

This is all very surreal and unbelievable but at the same time it seems like it's what was supposed to happen. This is a beast of a program.

I have more thoughts on all of this...
I wouldn't call it a "c" game. Offensively, sure, missed some bunnies. Defensively I grade them an A.

On being nervous, this was the first NC game (or FF) of the 5 (6) where I had no worries. In 99 it was big, bad Duke. In 04 it was Emeka's back and foul trouble. In 11 it was simply difficult to believe the run wouldn't end, if only for simple exhaustion. In 14 it was WTH are we even doing here?

This year, I thought us and Bama were the best teams going in, and once Bama couldn't extract revenge, it was all ours.

My only regret is we didn't get to make a mockery of Edey and Purdue. All those writers who kept them #1 over us would've been mortified by the 40 point beat down UConn would've delivered.

Reaction Score
Flipping the switch after Seton Hall loss and continuing to believe in their dream(s)-- And the Hurley hugs at the end of last night's game with his players/coaches..

Don't cry because its over.. Smile because it happened.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They played like a real team. No one was above anyone else. From the last man on the bench to the best player, whichever player that is, they all competed, contributed, and played hard, on their way to a dream season.
Absolutely. They were well oiled machine. Hard to believe that some asshat wanted to fire Hurley at halftime of the Iona game.

CL82

Reaction Score
Speaking of smiles, I loved how Newton couldn't help letting a little smile out after a nice three.
What a great national championship game he had. His journey this season from sometimes goat to being the high scorer in the national championship game, reminds me of Talik Browns, four years in microcosm.

Reaction Score
Had this group not had the mid season lapse, they would have been mentioned as one of the top teams ever. Pure dominance in the tourney,.

Reaction Score
The depth.....unlike the 2011 (Kemba) or 2014 (Bazz) titles there was no player that needed to carry the team. Hawkins not hitting shots so in comes Joey C, the Sanogo/Clingan sharing of the bigman role w/ totally different styles, the Jackson/Newton/Alleyne/Diarra ball handling and defense. The ability to play 9 players in the first 10 minutes Fianl 4 games is unheard of. Having Joey, Alleyne, Diarra and Clingan coming of the bench made this team special.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think it’s too soon to really say what the enduring memories will be, but a few things that come to mind are:

Sanogo and Clingan as are incredible two headed monster at center. Can you imagine being an opposing post and getting abused by Sanogo’s foot work and low post moves, feeling momentary relief as he heads to the bench only to see a 7’2” monster come out? Talk about taking away opponents hearts.

Joey California. What a great story! I small school kid transfers to a perennial basketball power, figuring to be a depth piece. Instead, he lights it up from deep and immediately becomes a fan favorite with his own merch. On top of that he seems like a really good kid who enjoyed and appreciated the ride.

The emergence of Jordan Hawkins. Last year, we all saw the potential, but he really hadn’t fully put it together on the court. This year, the lightbulb went on for him, particularly after working with Rip Hamilton, and he look like a kid who is going to have a very long NBA career.

The b.u.l.l.s.h.i.t with the biggest refs and Hurley, getting the last laugh by winning a national championship.

Finally, Dan Hurley shedding his demons and coming into his own as a championship level coach. He did an outstanding job through the tournament. This, obviously, meant the world to him, for a whole lot of reasons. I could not be happier for him.

There’s a lot of other stories, of course, but those are the ones I think we’ll stick in my mind, the most.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
That they played together and were the true meaning of team. The sum of the parts made them great. Great players do not make great teams. Great teams make great players>

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom