What will the expansion rumor be this week? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What will the expansion rumor be this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
mattp, no one can compete against the LHN. You can't pay the same money for your coach, for your facilities, your trips, your player amenities. Everyone wants out the the B12 for a reason. I mean, why does everyone want out so bad? The people who know TX best want nothing to do with them. It's a strong indictment. It's never a good thing when your brothers and sisters don't like you. The B12 is in Okie's hands. If they get out it's over. And I think they want out. I'd like to see TX to the ACC. That would be funny indeed. Be careful what you wish for.

FSU is a much bigger player in expansion than Oklahoma. Texas could hold tight and Oklahoma would have no where to go, unless FSU started tipping dominoes in the east.

Reaction Score
mattp, no one can compete against the LHN. You can't pay the same money for your coach, for your facilities, your trips, your player amenities. Everyone wants out the the B12 for a reason. I mean, why does everyone want out so bad? The people who know TX best want nothing to do with them. It's a strong indictment. It's never a good thing when your brothers and sisters don't like you. The B12 is in Okie's hands. If they get out it's over. And I think they want out. I'd like to see TX to the ACC. That would be funny indeed. Be careful what you wish for.

the problem is where are they going to go? by all accounts if they leave, which i have to imagine would be the end of the Big12, they have to find a home for OKState, and i don't think the two of them as a pair are nearly as attractive to a conference as OU on their own or OU/OKSt/TX. who would take just OU/OSU? OU might be stuck in the Big12 b/c their handcuffed to OSU.

Reaction Score
It is the same with for-profit entities. About 60-70% of public company/public company M&A ends up not working out (easiest way to get a doctorate in Finance is to do a research paper on this phenomenon. There are hundreds of them out there). The combined company is worth less than the two independent companies were over the long term. So why do it? CEO's want to run bigger companies because that means more power and more money for them.

The pay for the NCAA ramped up after the former directors, such as Cedric Dempsey and Walter Byers sided with the ADs and people like Delany and even the scummy sports agents over the academic side. Heck, Dempsey went to work with the Pump brothers. When Brand became NCAA Prez and now Emmert, the field tilted a bit and they put an administrator--not a sports guy--in charge of the enterprise. But to get someone who represented that academic side and pulled his weight among Presidents, they had to look to large schools such as Indiana and Washington, and those schools were already paying their Prez's $700-800k. So how to get one of these guys to move over to the NCAA? Pay them $900k. That's why the salary structure is what it is at the top.

I have no idea about the rest of the NCAA though. I imagine they have a lot of lawyers and such who would earn decent salaries elsewhere. I know in my institution I definitely feel we are top heavy with (in)efficiency experts.

Reaction Score
Again, I would be shocked if GT left the ACC. They would not be able to compete in the SEC without perverting academic standards to an unacceptable degree. GT was a charter SEC member in 1932 and left in 1964 over scholarships and other academic matters, especially regarding Alabama. I remain open to be surprised, however.

Reaction Score
ESPN and CBS will insist on Florida State as the 14th and likely Georgia Tech as #15 for the SEC. Deeper market penetration in big markets is better then broader market penetration most of the time. I don't know who #16 would be. I think this is a suboptimal outcome for everyone but the conference commissioners. Hopefully the presidents can hold it together.[/quote]

Spot on Waylon when you consider that FL vs FSU and GA vs Gatech will become one of 9 conference games as opposed to out of conference games. And they will have more importance than bragging rights as in years past. That will account for better market penetration

Reaction Score
The sooner the Big East gets absorbed into the ACC the better. As a stand alone conference they are embarrassing themselves with their OOC records again this season.
I think it's the other way around. The ACC needs the rest of the BE football schools more than we need them. Having a lone northeast school (BC) is a joke not unlike the SEC inviting Fresno State, but having BC, along with UCONN, RU, the Cuse, and Pitt gives the ACC a huge money making foothold in the very lucrative northeast TV markets. They also get 3 top notch basketball programs making the ACC the center of the national basketball scene.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen it talked about here yet but I could see some form of the B-12 remaining in tact after OK and aTm leave. Texas football leaves and the B-12 lets them park their basketball and olympic sports there because with their football gone the other schools have a fighting chance at winning the conference. The B-12 invites the top Mountain West and CUSA teams on the basis that they could retain their BCS bid with schools with high enough winning percentage. The Big-12 allows Texas sports to stay for the same reasons that the Big East puts up with ND. Texas is able to put together a schedule that would help the LHN the most with OK, Texas Tech, aTm, (maybe ND?), etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom