What will happen to L'ville? | The Boneyard

What will happen to L'ville?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i know UCONN fans are most concerned about UCONN at this point, and rightfully so - i don't care about anyone else at this point since it's a free for all of musical chairs...

but assuming UCONN, RU, and WVU land on their feet, i've not read a single thing about L'ville. they are strong in hoops and pretty strong in football, no? could they end up in the SEC with WVU?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
If UConn ends up in the ACC, I would rather see Louisville come along than Rutgers.

Reaction Score
SEC makes the most sense to me but it does seem strange that there has been zero rumors about them.

Reaction Score
KY does not want Louisville in the SEC. Just like bcu doesn't want UConn in the ACC. Unfortunately, for Louisville, KY has a huge voice in SEC matters. Fortunately for UConn, bcu has little voice in ACC matters.

Reaction Score
KY does not want Louisville in the SEC. Just like bcu doesn't want UConn in the ACC. Unfortunately, for Louisville, KY has a huge voice in SEC matters. Fortunately for UConn, bcu has little voice in ACC matters.

I'm surprised that UK has a big voice in the SEC, esp. if we are going by the motto that 'football rules.'

Reaction Score
My guess is that anyone not going to the ACC ends up in a new Big 12. Missouri, Iowa State, kansas, kansas State, TCU, Baylor. As the westernmost big East teams, cincinnatti, Louisville, actually fit fairly well with that group.

Reaction Score
Some posters on the Louisville board pointed out that given Louisville's academics it would be a stretch for the ACC to invite them, who knows though.

Reaction Score
^ I think that is the rub for Lville. The ACC wants strong academic schools and is not interested in schools that do not have as high or a high standard then the schools already in the conference. At least that is what I have been reading.

Reaction Score
One more thing, in addition to the academics issue, it appears clear that if the ACC can't get Texas or ND then they wanted to firmly entrench themselves as the conference of the east coast. Most notably, they want the NYC market. If Louisville had a big presence in a similarly large TV market then they would have a better chance I think.

Swofford has already thought about a MSG BET, but if you only have Syracuse in the tri-state area then there isn't much point to that. Adding Louisville gets you...Louisville, KY. Not trying to disparage Louisville's presence anywhere, but I just think that they aren't consistent with the ACC's goals. They either want a prized program with a national tv following (Texas or ND) or want to dominate the NYC and New England market (UConn and possibly Rutgers).

Ultimately I think we're looking at some combination of Texas/ND/UConn/Rutgers. Most likely ND & UConn or UConn & Rutgers. UConn looks to be third in line for one of two spots, but I think is probably most likely end up in the ACC.

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
If BCU doesn't want UConn in the ACC they are being stupid. Their best hope for the revival of their program would be a renewal of their rivalry with UConn in the ACC.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The things the ACC want are strong academics, strong football programs, strong basket ball programs, good market exposure and good geography. If the ACC could find any schools that fit this list those are the schools they prefer. And the only two schools that fit the list are ND and Texas with the exception of geography. But those two schools aren't interested in the ACC. So then the ACC has to look at other candidates, each of which are less ideal than either Texas or ND. But like any group, each member of the conference has a different list of preferences in where they wish to compromise.

FSU wants a strong football conference and would be willing to compromise academics and bb to attain this. Duke, NC, Maryland and the Virginia schools would not want to sacrifice academics and Duke, NC and Maryland probably already felt they sacrificed BB in the past with the additions of Miami, VT and BC so they will be much more involved in the decision making this time around and not want to sacrifice BB either.

So if Texas and ND do not accept the ACC offer, there will be a struggle amongst the various ACC schools between the FSU camp (who would take WV, Louisville and to a lesser degree Rutgers) and the Duke/NC camp ( who would want UConn).

If FSU is not placated they will bolt to the SEC imo. So the decision will come down to how much NC, Duke and Maryland insist on the 15th and 16th schools be both strong in academics and bb vs. their desire to keep FSU in the fold.

Reaction Score
If BCU doesn't want UConn in the ACC they are being stupid. Their best hope for the revival of their program would be a renewal of their rivalry with UConn in the ACC.

Hum...not sure I agree with that. BCU doesn't want any part of UConn. UConn has out recruited BCU regionally in Hoops for years. All it takes is UConn finishing better than them in FB for more of the northeast FB talent to begin to land in Storrs. TV market wise, I wonder if there could be an impact there as well when it comes to regionally and nationally televised games on the national networks.

I'd say they want no part of us, while we want another piece of them, especially the way they left the BE. I can't wait to get them back on the schedule in hoops and kick their sorry asses all over the court again.

I guess being part of a conference where they'll play more programs (SU, maybe UConn & RU) in their region could help with their recruiting, but I think as long as UConn stays strong in hoops, most of the NE talent that decides to stay in the region will come here.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Hum...not sure I agree with that. BCU doesn't want any part of UConn. UConn has out recruited BCU regionally in Hoops for years. All it takes is UConn finishing better than them in FB for more of the northeast FB talent to begin to land in Storrs. TV market wise, I wonder if there could be an impact there as well when it comes to regionally and nationally televised games on the national networks.

I'd say they want no part of us, while we want another piece of them, especially the way they left the BE. I can't wait to get them back on the schedule in hoops and kick their sorry asses all over the court again.

I guess being part of a conference where they'll play more programs (SU, maybe UConn & RU) in their region could help with their recruiting, but I think as long as UConn stays strong in hoops, most of the NE talent that decides to stay in the region will come here.

There are advantages and disadvantages to reestablish the rivalry. If UConn maintains a dominance over BC then you would be correct. But if there is a true rivalry where both schools are good and evenly matched, that creates buzz and media attention. And since it is a regional rivalry then the buzz filters over to the prospective recruits. I'm hoping that BC decision makers recognize this and want to reestablish their rivalry with UConn. It would be best for both schools to have strong football and bb programs and play against one another, as opposed to avoiding one another either for vindictiveness or for an inferiority complex,

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
all Big East and B12 members that do not receive an invite into one of the 4 super conferences will form their own league

we may be one of them

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
What will happen to TCU? Kind of feel for them at this point ...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
TCU is in the strange position of being better off no matter how this all shakes out. The ultimate demise of the Big East and Big 12 may actually benefit TCU.

Say TCU ends up in an all-sports conference with Kansas, K State, Iowa State, Missouri, Baylor, South Florida, Cincy, Louisville, Central Florida, Memphis and some combo of UConn, Rutgers and West Virginia.

In my mind, that's far better for them than landing in the Big East as it stood 36 hours ago.

Remember, there will be winners out of all this - and they won't all be super conference teams. Some 'on the cusp' types like Central Florida, Memphis and Houston may find themselves in a comfier spot than they are right now.

Reaction Score
The things the ACC want are strong academics, strong football programs, strong basket ball programs, good market exposure and good geography. If the ACC could find any schools that fit this list those are the schools they prefer. And the only two schools that fit the list are ND and Texas with the exception of geography. But those two schools aren't interested in the ACC. So then the ACC has to look at other candidates, each of which are less ideal than either Texas or ND. But like any group, each member of the conference has a different list of preferences in where they wish to compromise.

FSU wants a strong football conference and would be willing to compromise academics and bb to attain this. Duke, NC, Maryland and the Virginia schools would not want to sacrifice academics and Duke, NC and Maryland probably already felt they sacrificed BB in the past with the additions of Miami, VT and BC so they will be much more involved in the decision making this time around and not want to sacrifice BB either.

So if Texas and ND do not accept the ACC offer, there will be a struggle amongst the various ACC schools between the FSU camp (who would take WV, Louisville and to a lesser degree Rutgers) and the Duke/NC camp ( who would want UConn).

If FSU is not placated they will bolt to the SEC imo. So the decision will come down to how much NC, Duke and Maryland insist on the 15th and 16th schools be both strong in academics and bb vs. their desire to keep FSU in the fold.

If FSU can go to the SEC, FSU will go to the SEC. How much they are "placated" by Swofford will have nada to do with it.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
If FSU can go to the SEC, FSU will go to the SEC. How much they are "placated" by Swofford will have nada to do with it.
I think they still want to be the top dogs but in a much stronger football conference. And getting UConn and Rutgers won't satisfy them. They will only go to the SEC if they can't control their destiny in the ACC imo.

Reaction Score
Is it wishful thinking to say I want them in the ACC with us?

because that's what I want :)

Reaction Score
Just as an aside, and admitting my bias as I lived in Connecticut my entire life until I became too old and was ordered to move to Florida for part of the year, but I am very surprised that FSU has (supposedly) such a high acadamic reputation, so high that they would be looking down on Uconn's academics.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Just as an aside, and admitting my bias as I lived in Connecticut my entire life until I became too old and was ordered to move to Florida for part of the year, but I am very surprised that FSU has (supposedly) such a high acadamic reputation, so high that they would be looking down on Uconn's academics.
I don't think they are concerned with UConn's academic reputation. UConn's football program is probably FSU's concern.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I don't think they are concerned with UConn's academic reputation. UConn's football program is probably FSU's concern.

I respect that dynasty they had and all ... but they haven't really been that relevant since 2000.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I respect that dynasty they had and all ... but they haven't really been that relevant since 2000.
Exactly. But it is looking like they are righting the ship again and they believe the best way to get the good recruits out of Florida is to elevate the status of the ACC. Right now the ACC is a poor sister to the SEC and it isn't even close. FSU's best chance to become relevant again is to get the ACC strong in football imo.

The BE continuously got good bb recruits because lots of players wanted to play in the best conference.

So I believe the delay in admitting UConn to the ACC is coming from FSU and not BC or Miami.

Reaction Score

That's news to me as well.

I know UF has the best rep. of the big Florida schools, and I'm certain even Miami is ahead of FSU as well . . . .

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
i know UCONN fans are most concerned about UCONN at this point, and rightfully so - i don't care about anyone else at this point since it's a free for all of musical chairs...

but assuming UCONN, RU, and WVU land on their feet, i've not read a single thing about L'ville. they are strong in hoops and pretty strong in football, no? could they end up in the SEC with WVU?

Looeyville will do alright. Why? Cuz "Papa John's is in the house!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul