OT: - What weather app do you use? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: What weather app do you use?

Reaction Score
I use a combination of "My Radar", to watch the progress of weather, wind direction and storm predictions. Their radar comes straight from the US Weather Service; and, the Samsung weather app that gives temp and precipitation predictions. You can track the weather and temps in 10 cities, worldwide. Not that sophisticated, but all that I need.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I use Wunderground and Weather Channel.

A neighbor down the street is a Wunderground weather station.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
weather channel

I use this but I hate the ads. Too many videos too. I do like the alerts. Checked the Apple weather app and it seems to be The Weather Channel data minus the ads and videos, so I think I'll switch. What the hell is Dark Sky, and why did Apple buy it if it doesn't use the features?

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I use this but I hate the ads. Too many videos too. I do like the alerts. Checked the Apple weather app and it seems to be The Weather Channel data minus the ads and videos, so I think I'll switch. What the hell is Dark Sky, and why did Apple buy it if it doesn't use the features?
Dark Sky was the best "hyperlocal" weather app and Apple bought it - they closed down android app and per the @ihatepants they are shutting down the apple version as well soon. I don't get it - they bought it to close it.

Reaction Score
No app, I use NOAA's site and Wunderground.

Also, this site is very good...

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Weawow, with the DarkSky weather source.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Dark Sky was the best "hyperlocal" weather app and Apple bought it - they closed down android app and per the @ihatepants they are shutting down the apple version as well soon. I don't get it - they bought it to close it.
I use Weawow, which offers a choice of data sources, including Dark Sky, and there was a note last week that Dark Sky is committed to another year, at least. I like the Weawow interface and DarkSky remains the most accurate and least alarmist of all the data sources.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

They’re not shutting it down on iOS until the end of 2022. It’ll be shut in name only…by then, Dark Sky will basically be the default weather app.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
With all this talk about Henri, I’ll stir up the bees nest. What weather app do you prefer to use? I was using AccuWeather but it’s been terrible lately, back to using Weather Channel and WTNH. At the end of the day if I need to forecast weather, I’ll try to get the consensus out of the three weather apps.

The best weather app is Carrot.

You can pull from six different weather sources in the US - Dark Sky and AccuWeather being two of the choices.

The personality is fun, (select Overkill), but you really use this app if you’re really serious about a weather app. I think I spend $30 a year on it, but it is endlessly configurable - you’re basically designing your own weather app. (Or choosing a template and adding/subtracting to it.)

I also recommend the FEMA app. It does absolutely nothing other than deliver the fastest weather alerts for severe weather.

Reaction Score
I use Accuweather and TWC for local weather. To follow hurricanes and tropical storms I use Mike's Weather Page. It's really detailed and designed for following hurricanes.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
No app, I use NOAA's site and Wunderground.

Also, this site is very good...

A+ on noaa and wunderground. noaa cuz, well, it's noaa - the source!
and wonderground, especially cuz of all the hills, vales, salt, and sweet water in Connecticut, is very helpful here. lotsa times, i drive from sunshine down at the coast to a spring blizzard just a few miles up the hills.
i just saw that other site for the first time, but i did like the fact that they went back and meticulously graded their henri forecast. impressive.
there is plenty of room in the media game for integrity.

now, iffn you go here
ISO New England - Real-Time Maps and Charts (iso-ne.com)
and head down the page to '3 day system demand forecast,' you can deduce a great deal aboot the days ahead, especially temps both cold and hot. unlike almost every other stinkin blowhard hype forecast, they have to know, to keep the lights on.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom