What was the first UConn WBB game that you ever watched? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What was the first UConn WBB game that you ever watched?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I suspect the MLK day game against Tennessee was my first as well. We had recently attended or were about to attend our first live game, Rutgers / George Washington at the RAC. We had been following Women's Basketball on TV - mostly local RU games on replay late night and the 1994 Final Four and really enjoyed the few national games that popped up such as UConn / Tennessee.

Who knew that the following year we would be Rutgers season ticket holders, would attend the 1996 Final Four in Charlotte and be seeing UConn quite regularly in person playing Rutgers.

Reaction Score
I attended my first game in 1901 when it was Connecticut Agricultural College. ;)

IMG_0169.jpeg

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Watched was on TV in 1991. The 61–55 loss to top-seeded Virginia in the national semifinals. In those days those were about the only games on TV (The final 4). In person was at Gampel in 1992 they played Miami (Lost that one too by 3 points) . In those days you paid to get in and sat wherever you wanted. First come first serve on the seats. Hard to believe it was like that at one time. Best game I ever went to was the first TENN game at Gampel on MLK Day. Still the loudest sporting event I ever attended. 2nd best was the Bird at Buzzer game in the BE Tourney at Gampel against Notre Dame. Lots of great memories over the years. Now that we are retired it's gotten too pricey for us to get season tickets. Still watch every one we can though.

Reaction Score
LOL, you're asking a guy who doesn't remember what he ate for dinner last night.

My curiosity with WCBB started when a friend of mine in '78 was getting a Masters degree from ODU. ODU had been a thing prior to that. However, it was unheard of to see WCBB on TV. Moved from NJ to CT in '89. UConn had already moved into the big time with the Big East. I watched my first UConn WCBB game when at least the home games were on CPTV. This had to before the TN MLK game because the state was already going crazy prior to that game. The exact game or opponent are lost to the dead synapses of my mind.

Reaction Score
Since so many posters credited the MLK Day game against Tennessee as their introduction to UConn WBB, I am posting this link where you can watch the replay of the game on YouTube (and boy does Geno look young!)

Reaction Score
As a Carolina fan living in Tennessee, I started watching UCONN when they would match up with UT...Pat Summit is my favorite women's basketball coach of all time. I've always said if I had a daughter who was a DIV 1 superstar and Pat recruited her, I would want her to play for Pat at UT, even though I'm a South Carolina native and Carolina grad.

Reaction Score
I don't know what the first game was (I'm talking about in-person games here). I know I had taken my daughter to at least two or three previously when this one came up. UConn was playing BC in Boston, and we were living in a Boston suburb, so I took her and one of her friends to the game. My recollection is that it was billed as a special day because UConn was giving a basketball clinic to some kids -- who those kids were, I don't know. I seem to recall Rebecca Lobo showing kids how to dribble. UConn won the game, by the way.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Saw a few at the Fieldhouse in 82-83, a friend did the PA announcements.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Dont remember who UConn played their first game I watched. I do remember it was 1995 and the win streak had just begun. There was alot of hype on the radio and TV. CPTV was doing the games back then and not every game was televised. I was hooked. Then came the MLK game against Tenn. Somebody came up with the slogan "who's gonna Loose" any Volunteers? LOL That was the start of something special for UConn and WCBB.

Reaction Score
Somewhere roundabout the 2000s era, because I remember Shea Ralph's blond ponytail :) (I was young then, like a tween.) That would be on TV. First game I ever went to live was 2004 senior night. My mom's boss had tickets and couldn't make the game so my mom drove up to MA to get them from her and then my dad and I went to the game. Traffic on rte 44 was backed up all the way to bolton notch. Still to this day have never seen traffic that bad for a uconn game in Storrs.

Reaction Score
The first game I ever watched was on Martin Luther King Day in 1995 with UConn playing Tennessee. Because of the holiday our office was closed but we had a skeleton staff, myself and one other person. At the time I didn’t know anything about basketball. I couldn’t tell you the difference between a pick-n-roll and a full-court press. But the other guy was a huge Connecticut women’s basketball fan. He was especially excited about a local girl doing well—Nykesha Sales—and he really wanted to watch the game. We found a small TV in the production studio and took a 2-hour lunch break (ahem) and watched the game. And I was hooked.
Same for me as to the game. Got hooked at that moment.

Reaction Score
Sometime during Maya’s first year. Final Four against Stanford is the earliest I can remember.

Reaction Score
First game I ever saw on tv was in the fall of 1994 when CPTV started broadcasting. I can't remember who the other team was though.

Took my mom to Gampel to see them play North Carolina in 2001 (?)

Reaction Score
WOW ....Was watching a mens game and the arena and floor tv picture hit me..Hey I played on that floor...whatched the game..was Uconn men and ??...but I was hooked...
Next AM made some calls and with the information I now erected three 13 foot parabolic dishes in my back yard..heard CPTV was begining to test so called the station .. met Harriet (Queen of CPTV) who paved the way..now had network engineering numbers along with CPTV's...So now had all the necessary figures on incercepting the back haul feed to the mother station and watched,,when nobody else could...
Been there ever since ..even got the figures on teams that were our rivals, like Tennessee, Viv Stringer, and on..even passed that info on so maybe someody used the view of every opponent as a scouting tool ...I sure now everybody and their brothers have a scouting team that views and does what scouts do!!
Lots of fun..Yes I am a EE in Com so it was a natural as in the befinning even had to make my own parts for the dishes...cost in those days could run into 100K ..Even knew of one outfit that had a 100 foot dish mounted on railroad tracks...guess who was that...??

Reaction Score
My first game was in 1990, at Gampel. It had recently opened, and our student intern wanted us to see the girl of his dreams who played for the women's basketball team. Her name was Debbie Baer, and since there was an afternoon game at Gampel he thought we could sneak over there and take a look.

So he and a coworker and I walked into the Gampel lobby, where there was a young woman sitting at a folding table which had a cash box, roll of raffle tickets, and cup of soda on it. We paid $5 each for our tickets and entered the arena. The game was already underway.

The venue was impressive, but almost empty. We walked down to one of the lower rows of chairback seats and got comfortable. Our intern pointed out Ms. Baer, and my coworker and I agreed that he had good taste. But I was more impressed with the play of the team.

They were playing Miami, a formidable foe, but their crisp passing and ball movement showed me they were very disciplined and well coached. I was a men's basketball fan then, but after seeing our women in action I was converted to the women's game.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Wow, if I didn't feel old before. . .

When UConn joined the Big East in 1980 my friends are I started buying season tickets together. When the school instituted the 'points' program it was cheaper to buy women's season tix (as well as football and soccer) than to donate $200 to get 2 points. So I bought all the sports tickets and started going to the basketball and football games.

I don't remember the 1st women's game I went to - had to be in the early 80's - but I used to bring my kids to them and clearly remember the field house well. I would guess there were less than 200 people in those seats for women's games.

Reaction Score
Probably around 1989. I loved watching Laura Lishness and the rest of that team and watched or listened on the radio when I could. I remember the 91 Final Four and of course my attention increased like everyone else in 1995.

Reaction Score
Think it was the WNCAA elite 8 in 1991 w/ laura lishness, meghan Pattyson,debbie bayer, wendy davis,Orly Grossman, and of course the all time great Kerry Bascome. They lost to Virgina in the final 4!

Reaction Score
can't remember the opponent but while surfing the channel lineup i came across a womens basketball game and noticed a team that was playing the game the right way. Specifically, i watched Carla Berube box out, use her left hand, play velcro defense and always searching for the open man. Have been a UCONN fan ever since.While in college I played for the mens team and dated a gal who played on the womens team. With no disrespect for the old flame, the growth in the quality of WCCB has been amazing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom