What was Paqualoni lookng at? | The Boneyard

What was Paqualoni lookng at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What was he seeing that made him think Johnny Mac could get the job done.? Watching him throw the ball right to numerous Vandy players. Watching him unable to hit a back running with no one around him. Watching his poise melt away and throwing balls up for grabs. What was P looking at?

How on earth could he come to the conclusion we needed "continuity" and needed to keep sending JM back out there?

One day later, that's what I still don't understand.

Reaction Score
You can't understand it because it's BS. What he should say:

"this loss is my fault and I take responsibility for it. We did not prepare the team for this game and I and my staff did not manage this game well. I should have sat JM after he was struggling, but I thought if he hung in there he would get his feet under him. We made a bad call in throwing on 3rd and nine with the game in our hands. You won't see in game confusion again. I let the team and fans down. It won't happen again. Not on my watch."

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UConn Paul Pasqualoni
On the number of turnovers:
"In a game of turnovers, we made one turnover too many, and you can't go on the road in 1A football and make the number of mistakes we made. It's very, very hard to overcome the number of turnovers, although our defense did a good job with creating some turnovers tonight. You just can't go on the road and do that."

On sticking with Johnny McEntee at quarterback:
"As the game went, I stayed with Johnny just to have some continuity. We put Mike [Nebrich] in, and put him in at the start of the second quarter, which we did a week ago, but it's just hard to get into the flow of the thing with what they were doing. There were a few things they were doing on defense that were a little different, so in an effort to have just a little continuity in the game, to try to create some tempo to the game, we went with Johnny and just stayed with Johnny. That was the reason. It wasn't necessarily Mike, just the issue of keeping one guy in the game."

What happened with the third down play at the end?
"Talking about the critical third down at the end, the one that was returned for the score, I think it was a four seam route, and they blitzed, and whether he's going to the inside guy or the outside guy, the ball got compressed, got squeezed, and the DB just squeezed it and made the play."

"We discussed about three different plays in that situation, and felt like we had a good safe play, but it didn't turn out that way. The combination of the squeeze and the blitz kind of got us."

"It was a great effort, just needs to be a little bit more consistent. You know, you're playing great defense, at the same time you're playing a great defense, you can't give up a big play like that, especially at that point in the game. It's a 21-21 game, and all the other side is trying to do is get in position to kick a field goal at that point, so it's unfortunate, because they played hard and we made some plays."

What adjustments did you see Vanderbilt make in response to your game?
"They probably at the end of the day played just a little bit more base defense, their movement style of defense. If there was an adjustment they made, it was probably playing a little more base and getting another defender down in the box. That was probably the adjustment they made. But what we're doing is designed to handle that too, so at the end of the day, we've got to execute that stuff."

UConn Linebacker Sio Moore
On the game tying interception return:
"We didn't execute when we needed to. We need to go back to the film and look at what went wrong. We're a good team that can make plays; we just need to make the plays that give us a better chance to win."

On the extra pressure on the defense coming out of the half:
"We knew the game wasn't over, and that we didn't lose it in the first half. We knew we had to come out and make plays in the second half, but we left some plays on the field."

On coming up short after the second half comeback:
"The game came down to the fourth quarter so were pleased about that. We just left plays on the field and come next week we can't do that. We need to go look at the film and get it corrected right away."

UConn Quarterback Johnny McEntee
On the turnovers and the game outcome:
"We had a good game plan coming in and I just wasn't able to execute it. That's all there was to it.
"I read it out wrong and threw a bad ball. That's what happens sometimes."

On the aggressive approach on the fourth quarter interception:
"It wasn't that right approach and I feel bad because it lost us the game and my teammates don't deserve that."

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
well, that continuity stuff worked like a charm. Our offense was very consistent

Reaction Score
No excuses.

I do think we saw a QB totally fritz out & disintegrate. Whatever you saw until the 3rd quarter (including years on Scout & his work reps as the number 1), McEntee ... imho ... tossed his composure out the window. The OLine, I think, came up messy; ... but, you can't do your job when your "schemes" come apart cause the QB is panicked.

We have basically a good RB (at 170 or less) with wiggle. He can be defensed if there is nothing else. McEntee, your "game manager QB", shows he lacks that ability. If for no other reason than to give some diversified looks, we cannot go back to whatever happened Saturday. I remember thinking Dennis Brown was poorly prepared against Rutgers for his first start. Yet, that kid did wonders. In contrast, McEntee was truly (and a revelation I think to everyone) not composed. In answer to the OP, I do not think you can see that coming a priori. If PP puts McEntee back ... without a substantial steroid hit to his confidence ... I don't know what I am going to think. McCummings ... or Nebrich ... one of them needs to take a turn now.

Reaction Score
If you read Nan's quotes, both P and two players are clearly blaming the loss on a failure to execute.

Now that makes my day!

Reaction Score
when you consider this QB quandary, it's not all that confouding really

Johnny Mc simply hasn't played football @ this level, ever. it's not as if going w/ him is like going w/ a veteran (think Lorenzen or Frazer)

for this reason I'd move right on to Nebrich, live w/ any growing pains he might suffer through, but the program will be better for it next year

i'll be disillusioned if JM is trotted out to start Friday night

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
when you consider this QB quandary, it's not all that confouding really

Johnny Mc simply hasn't played football @ this level, ever. it's not as if going w/ him is like going w/ a veteran (think Lorenzen or Frazer)

for this reason I'd move right on to Nebrich, live w/ any growing pains he might suffer through, but the program will be better for it next year

i'll be disillusioned if JM is trotted out to start Friday night

This. If the 3 of them are REALLY that close, 1 bad game might be enough to make a switch.

Reaction Score
This. If the 3 of them are REALLY that close, 1 bad game might be enough to make a switch.

It's a long season. QB's are going to take a lot of punishment in our offense. Start Nebrich and have other two ready to come in, dings will happen. JMac did not look like he was a couple of more games of experience from being ok.

Reaction Score
I really get the feeling that Pasqualoni, in a CEO-type overview, will be all over both Brown and DeLeone this week. Not sure if it was apparent on TV or articulated on the radio, but both the offense and defense were confused and befuttled at times. Yese the defense played well, but they were very late in getting set for plays and if they were against a better polished spread and no huddle team it would have been a total clusterfu$&, especially in the first half.

But back to the origingal question of what was Pasqualoni thinking.......he watched confusion and disarray with three qbs playing in the 1st half. I think he told Deleone to simplify things in the second half and the decision was made that this wouldn't be Nebrich's baptism by fire. That will come later. The worst decision made was not playing McEntee, but it was swapping out McEntee for McCummings when they had the ball on the Vandy 3 and the defense was on their heals. The delay, time out and just wasted time gave Vandy the opportunity to regain composure and hold UConn to a field goal.

Reaction Score
It's a long season. QB's are going to take a lot of punishment in our offense. Start Nebrich and have other two ready to come in, dings will happen. JMac did not look like he was a couple of more games of experience from being ok.
Edsall really blew it not giving him the starting job last year, right '68?

Reaction Score
I really get the feeling that Pasqualoni, in a CEO-type overview, will be all over both Brown and DeLeone this week. Not sure if it was apparent on TV or articulated on the radio, but both the offense and defense were confused and befuttled at times. Yese the defense played well, but they were very late in getting set for plays and if they were against a better polished spread and no huddle team it would have been a total clusterfu$&, especially in the first half.

But back to the origingal question of what was Pasqualoni thinking.......he watched confusion and disarray with three qbs playing in the 1st half. I think he told Deleone to simplify things in the second half and the decision was made that this wouldn't be Nebrich's baptism by fire. That will come later. The worst decision made was not playing McEntee, but it was swapping out McEntee for McCummings when they had the ball on the Vandy 3 and the defense was on their heals. The delay, time out and just wasted time gave Vandy the opportunity to regain composure and hold UConn to a field goal.

The confusion was more than apparent on TV.

Reaction Score
P was looking at his large intestine, because he had his head up his arse.......hopefully, I was a lapse of in game judgement that won't happen again and he'll adjust to the skill set of the guy behind center. I'm not looking for perfection, but I can't happily watch what appears to be mismanagement and inability to adapt. I'm sure it'll get better, well god I hope so.

Reaction Score
I don't know what Pasqualoni was looking at, but I know what I looked at last night, and what I saw was a team (Vandy) that came out in a base defense that didn't know what exactly was going to come at them, and we were able to run the ball easily, and move the ball through the air, and put togther one of the better offensive drives against a decent team on the road that I can recall seeing at any time, on the opening kickoff.

We couldn't score that damn TD, and it kills me. Need to score the TD. Need to, need to, need to, score TDs on offense.

What I saw after that, was a Vandy team that basically started doing the same thing that teams have done to us for a long time, and started bringing in extra defenders to plug up the running game, pressure the QB, and basically dare us to move the ball through the air.

We tried, and failed, badly. Nothing about the passing game was wroking well.

Defense just looked like they weren't mentally ready to start the game. So many times, we've started the games on defense, fed off that side of the ball.

I bet we don't have a single player on the defensive side of the ball that in their UConn career has sat through a 7 minute plus opening drive to start a game, then gone out. Talking about in real time approximately a 25-30 minute break between opening kickoff and when they got out there for the first time. Totally not used to that, and probably weren't prepared for it.

As soon as they got under control, they dominated Vandy.

Special teams had that little extra bit of knock your head off attitude I wanted to see.

The passing game sucked. I personally don't have a problem with Pasqualoni making the call to stick with McEntee and see if he could play through. You don't really know what a player can do until they're under pressure to perform.

What's the conundrum, is what happens now? I think that if they're going to be true to form, and McEntee got that game to put up some material to evaluate in this whole QB evaluation process, I think it's only fair that the other guys get opportunities to QB this team for a full game as well.

McEntee certainly didn't earn the right to start again in my eyes.

But I don't have a single issue with choosing to play him til the end, and putting the ball in his hands often and in key situations.

THat's the only way you can develop a QB, is to get them in position to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom