What was Paige doing for 2.5 quarters?? | The Boneyard

What was Paige doing for 2.5 quarters??

Reaction Score
What I dont get was Paige was practically invisible for 2.5 quarters. Most thought her ankle was bothering her, so why is she on the court to begin with? Then, out of nowhere, she takes over the game & just dominates. So, why wasnt she doing this from the beginning of the game? Makes no sense. If she's on the court, then she needs to be shooting & much more involved. Period. If she's hurting, dont play her. Very confusing.

Reaction Score
What I dont get was Paige was practically invisible for 2.5 quarters. Most thought her ankle was bothering her, so why is she on the court to begin with? Then, out of nowhere, she takes over the game & just dominates. So, why wasnt she doing this from the beginning of the game? Makes no sense. If she's on the court, then she needs to be shooting & much more involved. Period. If she's hurting, dont play her. Very confusing.
Seriously, you’re coming down on Paige?

Reaction Score

Yeah. Paige is the problem ?.
I don't think he or she is saying that but he or she is saying something important. CW takes too many shots and it seems as though the team, especially Paige, are deferring to her at least in the beginning of the game. 0-5 from the 3 last night was a real problem, even more so when you have 2 high % 3 point shooters in Paige and Evina. This isn't going to magically change for CW. It's a major weakness in her game and has to be curtailed. She has great drive and pull up moves and that's what she should be taking. Why did Aubrey shoot three 3s? It was their game plan to leave her open. Pass it to Paige or Evina or even an open Nika.

Reaction Score
Hope you are kidding !! She is the best player we have and she is only a freshman. We have to give Arkansas credit they were unstoppable and made very difficult shots. They hustled all game.

Reaction Score
tumblr_ob99b9r0cS1r2pp2to1_500.gif

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Because she’s a freshman playing her 11th college game?

Reaction Score
I don't think he or she is saying that but he or she is saying something important. CW takes too many shots and it seems as though the team, especially Paige, are deferring to her at least in the beginning of the game. 0-5 from the 3 last night was a real problem, even more so when you have 2 high % 3 point shooters in Paige and Evina. This isn't going to magically change for CW. It's a major weakness in her game and has to be curtailed. She has great drive and pull up moves and that's what she should be taking. Why did Aubrey shoot three 3s? It was their game plan to leave her open. Pass it to Paige or Evina or even an open Nika.
I agree that CW takes too many shots. Well, the real problem is she misses too many shots. Not just in the Ark game, but all season. You can look it up yourselves. Her shooting pct stinks. I also don' think she is very good on the drive. I recall a least 3 times she drove into a wall of 2 or 3 opponents and lost the ball. This was not an anomaly. she looses the ball in some form or fashion before the ball makes it at least to he rim far to often.

Those of you who disagree with me (and I know from previous posts that includes most of you}, must be watching different games than me.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
not confusing at all, since, oh idk, her veryfirst time in life playing for the big team, inna big game, and with an ankle that is prolly way less than 100%.
sooooo, what was paige doing for a couple of quarters?
experiencing a new situation. never been there before, hadn't done that before, but now has the t-shirt. progress.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If the Op though this was the problem it should have been expressed in the title of the thread or in the post itself. Paige is not the problem! CW might be. To answer the OP question paige spend the first couple of minutes getting her ankle loose and getting het teamates involved. It was working. She HAD TO take over the game because the other Players on the floor were ALL FRESHMAN.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I don't know if this was addressed in the postgame thread...it had a bit too much length to delve into it but I was really concerned when Paige went to the bench with about 4 minutes to go in the first half. I did think her ankle might have been bothering her. But she played the entire second half and seemed to be moving just fine,...what a relief!
We know that Geno has been on her about shooting more and maybe she got that message in the halftime chat.
She was 10-15 from the floor...with maybe only 4 of those in the first half. So clearly by the numbers and the eye-test she was looking for her shot in the second half.

A silver lining last night was the rather sudden emergence of Nika as a solid back-up type point...hope that continues.
She seemed comfortable handling the ball against athletic guards and that should enable both Paige and Evina to let her have some of the point guard responsibilities in bringing the ball up court while letting those two focus on getting open.
I want the ball to go thru Paige and/or Evina practically every possession when the game is tight...and Nika can help there. I love her overall intensity to fit in/get better/help the team in practice and now games. Nika was a very bright
light yesterday.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mrs. Gigio, who is not a sports fan, but will watch UConn women with me, and also has no background or basic knowledge of the game, but has a very keen insight into women has been telling me this from the first game; Paige does not want to disrupt the team hierarchy, and piss off the upper classman by shooting too much. She continually says, "women can be brutal to each other, despite what they outwardly exhibit", hence too much Paige deferral to her elders. I told her she doesn't know what she is talking about - but I have changed my mind.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
The question should be where was Olivia for 4 quarters? If the opponent is ranked its guaranteed she won’t be productive. Boston is going to have a field day against her.
Don't know whether or not Boston will have a field day, but agree 100% that Liv was awol last night. I was sad to see what we got out of our post players last night. This includes AE I love her aggressiveness, she must learn to be under control, we need her to be in the game not out with 5 fouls.

Reaction Score
Mrs. Gigio, who is not a sports fan, but will watch UConn women with me, and also has no background or basic knowledge of the game, but has a very keen insight into women has been telling me this from the first game; Paige does not want to disrupt the team hierarchy, and piss off the upper classman by shooting too much. She continually says, "women can be brutal to each other, despite what they outwardly exhibit", hence too much Paige deferral to her elders. I told her she doesn't know what she is talking about - but I have changed my mind.
Mrs. Gigio is spot on.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
How many threes did Aubrey shoot and how many did she make?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure I remember Geno getting on CW for not being aggressive enough. Looks like another screw up by that nitwit. Honestly, she is kind of trying to do what he wants. She’s a very streaky shooter with, unfortunately, more bad than good streaks. The team and the coaches need to figure how to get the most out of Paige without destroying CW’s confidence. They have lost exactly one game to a pretty good team by one basket.

ONO is a bigger question mark. Against a small, quick, talented front line, bigs often have trouble on D. Offense is a different issue. I thought she might struggle on O against other good bigs, but not against smaller ones. I’ll have to rewatch to see if getting the ball into her was defended well. The thing is, with her disappearing and CW erratic, they still scored 87 points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
If the Op though this was the problem it should have been expressed in the title of the thread or in the post itself. Paige is not the problem! CW might be. To answer the OP question paige spend the first couple of minutes getting her ankle loose and getting het teamates involved. It was working. She HAD TO take over the game because the other Players on the floor were ALL FRESHMAN.

Agree. But isn't it time for the upperclassmen (and Geno) to recognize who should be leading this team? And I'm not just talking about her scoring and assists. Paige is a leader. The upperclassmen aren't except for maybe for Westbrook. Any emotion shown last night came from Bueckers, late in the game. The rest are great players but they are followers.

To a lesser extent last nights game, reminded me of the Georgetown-Villanova championship game. The Hoyas played a great game but Easy Ed was unconscious and the Wildcats shot about 70%.

Reaction Score
How many threes did Aubrey shoot and how many did she make?
Aubrey was 1-3 and CW was 0-5 for a combined 1-8. Aubrey is shooting 18% from the 3 for the season and CW is shooting 28%. If those 8 3s yesterday are taken instead by Evina and Paige who shoot over 50% combined, they are 4-8 for another 9 points. My point was that AG was out of position offensively and it was by design that she was open. The better shooters should be taking the most shots. So says Geno and it is indisputable basketball logic in my book.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom