What was he thinking? | The Boneyard

What was he thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Has PP any knowledge about football? Last play of the game. . . PP rushes eleven? I get the attempt at a block,but he also took away the last ditch attempt at tieing that game - a punt return for six. once the kicker got his foot on the ball,it was game over. A Nick Williams return? Not happening with him not back there.

Reaction Score
If he's going to go all out blocking the punt, why keep one guy back with the entire Cincy team charging down the field? Larry Taylor with superpowers wouldn't return it for a TD.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Even a block doesn't win the game, there. A return was the call to make.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
You do realize that if William was deep, the ball was being punted out of bounds, right?

Going for 2 down by 17 was beyond idiotic. If you're gonna kill the staff, kill them for that. And wasting 2 TO's early in the 2nd half. Maybe P thought he carried over the ones he left in the bank last week at the end of the 1st half.

Reaction Score
for having 30+ years of coaching experience, basic clock management and game strategy still elude Coach Blue and his staff. Kids that play Madden know this stuff.

Reaction Score
Clock/timeout management this season was atrocious. So the two wasted timeouts in the second half today were no surprise. Lack of urgency/organization at end of first half was no surprise (roughing passer call bailed us out).

Reaction Score
personally, I think he should hav went for the onside kick after the TD to Griffin, there was 7 minutes left, but our defense gassed, just saying

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There is a lot of ignorance in these anti-Pasqualoni threads.

Sometimes. I would have left Williams back and forced them to kick it out of bounds hoping to have a second left.

They did waste their timeouts as usual. When you call timeout to see if you should use a challenge.... that's about the height of idiocy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Sometimes. I would have left Williams back and forced them to kick it out of bounds hoping to have a second left.

They did waste their timeouts as usual. When you call timeout to see if you should use a challenge.... that's about the height of idiocy.

Clock management has been poor all year. A lot more goes into coaching a team than just clock management.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Clock management has been poor all year. A lot more goes into coaching a team than just clock management.

Of course it does. But clock management is simple and if you can't do something as simple as manage the clock, how can you be trusted to do the hard things?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It's the internet and semi-anonymous. So anyone can pretend like they know more than a coach with the years of experience that Coach P has. :rolleyes:

You are really going to point the finger at Coach P for the 2nd time out when they were .5 seconds away from a delay of game penalty?

It hasn't been perfect this year but all this finger pointing and nitpicking is ridiculous. Especially by folks who think they know it all by watching 60 minutes a week from a distance.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's the internet and semi-anonymous. So anyone can pretend like they know more than a coach with the years of experience that Coach P has. :rolleyes:

You are really going to point the finger at Coach P for the 2nd time out when they were .5 seconds away from a delay of game penalty?

It hasn't been perfect this year but all this finger pointing and nitpicking is ridiculous. Especially by folks who think they know it all by watching 60 minutes a week from a distance.

NO I WOULD SAY THAT IN GAME 12 THE COACHING STAFF SHOULD GET A CALL IN TO THE OFFENSE TO NOT PUT THEM IN A POSITION TO BURN A TIMEOUT TO SAVE 5 YARDS.

It's not nitpicking. It's ridiculous. Games are won and lost over this stuff.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They called timeout to decide if they should use a challenge on Tebucky's drop. It's like they don't know the damn rules.

Reaction Score
Clock/timeout management this season was atrocious. So the two wasted timeouts in the second half today were no surprise. Lack of urgency/organization at end of first half was no surprise (roughing passer call bailed us out).

I was actually at the game - and in my opinion, neither of those time outs were wasted. If you have a problem with calling a time out before one really good scoring opportunity when we haven't scored a TD or another in hopes of getting the refs to review the play, then get off your couch and start working your way to becoming our next UConn head coach.

Reaction Score
They called timeout to decide if they should use a challenge on Tebucky's drop. It's like they don't know the damn rules.

Say what you want, but in person, that time out was warranted in my opinion.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Say what you want, but in person, that time out was warranted in my opinion.

So you don't know the rule either. They can challenge the damn call and the penalty for being wrong? You guessed it... a timeout!

Reaction Score
Has PP any knowledge about football? Last play of the game. . . PP rushes eleven? I get the attempt at a block,but he also took away the last ditch attempt at tieing that game - a punt return for six. once the kicker got his foot on the ball,it was game over. A Nick Williams return? Not happening with him not back there.

The very premise of this post makes it glaringly obvious that you're really, really, really not in position to criticize anybody's knowledge of football.

Reaction Score
So you don't know the rule either. They can challenge the damn call and the penalty for being wrong? You guessed it... a timeout!

And you know that they could have challenged it at any point in that timeout without losing it, right? The play was close (at least as it appeared in person) so I don't see why not taking the timeout there was a bad decision. Because he didn't actually challenge it? Maybe they decided this wasn't the play to do it if they thought by the end of the timeout that they were probably not going to win it. Might as well save it just in case UConn would have needed it in the future. Unlike the NFL, college teams only get one challenge.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So save the challenge but burn through timeouts like wildfire in general. That seems like a winning strategy.

I can't have a sane conversation about this staff and clocks and time outs. I'd call their approach to clock management insane, but then I'd have to concede they have an approach.

Reaction Score
So save the challenge but burn through timeouts like wildfire in general. That seems like a winning strategy.

I can't have a sane conversation about this staff and clocks and time outs. I'd call their approach to clock management insane, but then I'd have to concede they have an approach.

Yet you never addressed the FACT that both of these time outs were called in relation to TD scoring opportunities (or possibilities) at a time when UConn's offense was completely inept. I literally have nothing to complain about the clock management of the second half. I'd be pissed if they called a time out for having too many men on the field or ducking up the play call...but if it is for strategizing on a scoring opportunity, especially when down (by alot) then in my opinion, it's a good time out - that's what they're for!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yet you never addressed the FACT that both of these time outs were called in relation to TD scoring opportunities (or possibilities) at a time when UConn's offense was completely inept. I literally have nothing to complain about the clock management of the second half. I'd be pissed if they called a time out for having too many men on the field or ducking up the play call...but if it is for strategizing on a scoring opportunity, especially when down (by alot) then in my opinion, it's a good time out - that's what they're for!

I'm not ignoring it. It isn't important. You have to be able to coach the game at the speed it's played, you can't waste your timeouts slowing it down in big spots.

Reaction Score

Which brings me to post a question to the board.............why didn't they challenge Tebucky's catch? Afterall it was a catch - had nothing to do with the play at the goal line but instead with where he was down. It seemed to me, and I could be wrong, that when his knee hit at the 3-4 yard line he certainly maintained possession at that point and was down on his own. I may not know another rule involved but to me it was like any other catch in the open field in which a player goes down o his own?

And another thing the league needs to look at the job the officials did. Not on plays or calls but on non-calls. If Pead was allowed to stay in the game and continue to kick people off of him after 2 flags and then the obvious taunt after his final first down, it's a joke. The kid is a punk pure and simple and needed a dose of reality. He was creating a siutation on the field obviously among players and needed to be stopped and they decided to stop throwing flags his way?? Awful job by the striped guys. Of course Butchy didn't pull him aside either when he was "DeSean Jacksoning" the team so he's as much to blame!

Reaction Score
personally, I think he should hav went for the onside kick after the TD to Griffin, there was 7 minutes left, but our defense gassed, just saying

I was saying the same thing a the time.....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Which brings me to post a question to the board.............why didn't they challenge Tebucky's catch? Afterall it was a catch - had nothing to do with the play at the goal line but instead with where he was down. It seemed to me, and I could be worng, that when his kness hit at the 3-4 yrad line he certainly maintained possession at that point and was down on his own. I may not know another rule involved but to me it was like any other ctach in the open field in which a player goes down o his own?

And another thing the league needs to look at the job the officials did. Not on plays or calls but on non-calls. If Pead was allowed to stay in the game and continue to kick people off of him after 2 flags and then the obvious taunt after his final first down, it's a joke. The kid is a punk pure and simple and needed a dose of reality. He was creating a siutation on the field obviously among players and needed to be stopped and they decided to stop throwing flags his way?? Awful job by the striped guys. Of course Butchy didn't pull him aside either when he was "DeSean Jacksoning" the team so he's as much to blame!

I think this is the case:

It's a rule that no one seems to like or get. The receiver has to control the ball all the way to the ground. So in this case, even though he knee was down and he had control, because he didn't keep control when the rest of his body contacted the ground it was incomplete. That would be why they didn't challenge - because even though it looks a like a catch and common sense tells you it's a catch - by rule it's not a catch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom