What type of improvement would you like to see tonight? | The Boneyard

What type of improvement would you like to see tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just thought I'd throw this topic out there for discussion.

My answer:

1. Start the game with more intensity - They've had the bad habit of getting out of the gate slowly and playing with a lack of energy. I don't know why. Against the better teams, they run the risk of falling behind early and possibly digging a hole too big to crawl out of. It can expend a lot of energy to catch-up and sometimes even if you do so late, you run the risk of running out of energy and getting clipped again at the very end. Let's see them take some games against good teams wire-to-wire. Not that this has been happening a lot, but I simply would like to see them play the same way the do at the end of the first half and during the middle of the 2nd half, throughout the entire game.

2. More inside/outside scoring balance - I thought they began to show improvement the last couple games and would like to continue to see this trend.

3. More transition game - I think it's important they continue to work on and improve their half-court execution, but I'd like to see them begin to generate more transition opportunities leading to easy baskets. We have the athletes. They not only need to get more of these types of opportunities, but also need to improve their execution. Too many times the handler is selfishly taking the shot. Sometimes that's the best option since a pass does have its risks, but they've had a few charges, TOs and misses where the pass would have been the better choice. A little more running and a little less selfishness will go a long way.

4. Better movement in the half-court - It seems they still do a little too much standing around for my taste. Wear out opponent by making them move on D, plus open up more scoring opportunities in the half-court.

5. Improved perimeter/help D - Our guards are losing their man far too often and when they do, our Bigs haven't consistently stepped up and closed off the driving lanes. SJU got way too many lay-ups and dunks on us. I don't want to see that again. UConn's defensive FG% is still among the best in the nation, but the eye test tells me there is still a lot of room for improvement.

Lots of ball yet to be played and time to improve on the above and whatever the rest of you come up with. This is not meant to be an opportunity to bash our team, but to point out where we'd like to see continued improvement. So far we saw the 2011 Huskies. I'm looking forward to seeing the 2012 one come into form as the season goes on.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i'd settle for a W. no matter what the score. i think in order to get the win we will have to improve several of the bullet points you listed. having said that i'd like to see even more improvement in post play, especially from Alex. and part of that is the guards making a real concerted effort to get the ball into the post. i think we've been better lately as it was not good early on.

and on the defensive side, my impression is our perimeter defense could be better. the actual numbers may not bear that out, as i think a few teams have shot poorly against us, but i think that will be key to beating several BE teams this year...

Reaction Score
Good topic. Those are all areas where improvement would be welcome, but I'd especially like to see 2 and 3. We're not getting the inside scoring that we're capable of. Also, we seemed to have forgotten at times how to be a running team.

Reaction Score
Perimeter D steps up. When we play Quse ect - we can not give teams the open looks they have had from the outside up to this point.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i want to see something that i liked alot lat year. kemba and bazz would use olander for the pick and roll a couple times a game when we were running the O through olander at the top of the key passing it around. i want to see bazz spread out on a wing and boat run the p&r with oldander a couple times. last year our guards 90% of the time would drive and finish/dish to ao and so olander didn't get alot of jumpers but when he did he was prob over 50% shooting on those wide open. i would like to see that play happen a couple times becuase i havn't seen much of it at all the past 10 games i would say. also i would venture to see alex working that instead of olander. this board has been all over alex a bit and i will not join in on that becuase i think he is adjusting to not being the big man(ad) and becoming a pf in a guard heavy system thing year. alex has taken a couple long jumpers this year and he has made some of them, a good % prob. i want to see him pick and pop a couple times, his jumper i bet would be more consistent than a jeff adrien. remeber his jumpers?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
also what time is the game 2night, 7pm start right? i'll be in chat early for those looking for some good convo...

Reaction Score
perimeter D, no question. last year they were great at closing out defenders (i think Stevens mentioned this after the nat'l champ), need to awaken that beast.

Reaction Score
In this game, much more than @USF, I will be quite content with anything that puts a notch in the "W" column. SHU looks like a pretty good team, we don't have Calhoun and its on the road. Getting out of that hell-hole of a state with two victories this week would be very nice indeed.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Biggest thing I'm looking forward is better, more concise postings by Dog Mania.

Easy ways for improvement. Try using bullet format vice paragraphs and stay on topic.

Otherwise, same as everyone else. 40 minutes of good basketball, a strong, assertive AO, and figuring out how to assimilate RS, DD and NG in to the rotation so we have 9 guys contibuting.

Reaction Score
perimeter D, no question. last year they were great at closing out defenders (i think Stevens mentioned this after the nat'l champ), need to awaken that beast.

This is where I'm most concerned about tonight's game. SHU has 2 very good long range shooters in Crosby and Edwin, both hovering around 40% on good volume.

Reaction Score
Biggest thing I'm looking forward is better, more concise postings by Dog Mania.

Easy ways for improvement. Try using bullet format vice paragraphs and stay on topic.

Otherwise, same as everyone else. 40 minutes of good basketball, a strong, assertive AO, and figuring out how to assimilate RS, DD and NG in to the rotation so we have 9 guys contibuting.
hahahaha.... he should definitely use more initials in his posts though, dont you agree?

Reaction Score
All I'm looking for is energy/intensity. Seton Hall has had this game circled on their calender for a long time. They are 12-2, coming off a bad loss @Syracuse, and they are at home. The crowd is going to be excited, and Seton Hall is going to feed off that. This is the biggest game their program has had in a while. 12-2, defending champs coming into town, chance to maybe even crack the top 25 with a win. You can't ask for much more as a fan base/program who has not experienced a whole lot of success recently. This game has upset written all over it. The boys better come ready to play.

Reaction Score
Consistency, sustained focus for the whole game. Seton Hall will be ready, this could easily be a loss if they aren't ready to play from the start.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This!

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I want a dominating performance from Jeremy Lamb. Not a typical "he makes it look so easy", showing glimpses of brilliance and then disappearing for 10 minutes. I mean a DOMINATING, no question who the best player on the court is type of performance.

Reaction Score
I'm gonna be up in here bitching and moaning unless we win by 35+ and shoot 60% from the field personally...

Reaction Score
I'd love to see UConn dictate the tempo and get the game into the high 70's or 80's. UConn almost always wins the uptempo games, much moreso than the 61-58 rockfights.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I just want the defense to show up. This is the one aspect of the team that should be there, every night, no question.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see Oriakhi off the court. He's already the reason that SH is it he game. Just awful, so soft

Reaction Score
hate to pile on but he should not be in the game, a detriment at best as of now

ànd george soe emotion please?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I'm a frickin' genius on the level of Dr. Evil.

DogMania started a thread where his first post was 3 lines and after someone responded to his post he followed up with a 1 1/2 line response.

The rest. To hell with it.

Check out DM's newfound brevity.

http://www.the-boneyard.com/threads...ts-game-out-of-your-system.10293/#post-122973

I have to go and design some sort of death star I'm gonna name the Allan Parsons Project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom