What to do now ??? | The Boneyard

What to do now ???

Reaction Score
Just a simple question for all of you out in Boneyard land:

What have you been doing to keep busy during these times of uncertainty, COVID restrictions, National protests, Elections, Capital riots, game cancellations, etc. ?

I can't watch or read the news anymore cause it's just too damn depressing.

Thankfully the PGA Tour was successful in completing their 2019-2020 season without much disruption and NASCAR did a decent job with their year.

I have found refuge in the new WGT game (World Golf Tour). WGT is currently the most realistic online golf game. Won't be long and April will be here and off to the links in real time.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Let's say it's been a challenge to stay engaged in things that have a positive outlook. We live in Florida. Our 55+ community closed down in the beginning of March. Most of the buildings in our village are closed and the builders have stop over 250+ clubs from meeting. So many of the activities we had been doing on a regular basis are gone. We still have no time frame when activities will resume. There are almost 9,000 people living in the community.

The wife and I have been exercising a lot more. This actually started before COVID and the political insanity. The wife walks 4 to 5 miles almost everyday. I bike 7 to 8 miles almost every day. Our iPhones have a fitness app that has been very beneficial in keeping us motivated and on task. It's become a challenge to keep up and to push ones self to improve.

Both of us have basically left many of the social platforms i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Nextdoor. Neither of us ever did Instagram. We have limited our news watching to an hour or so each morning. These moves have actually been a refreshing change.

Been trying new recipes in the kitchen. Expanding out taste buds somewhat. Trying new recipes has been tied into are changing our diets so we are eating healthier or trtying to eat healthier.

We trying to schedule our time to get to the gun range on a consistent basis.

As to our family, Facetime has been our form of contact. The last time we saw the kids and grandkids in person was November, 2019 - our oldest son's 40th birthday. We will not travel north to CT. So we usually Facetime every other week. Its always good to see the grandsons faces and smiles!!!! We occasionally get to Facetime with our youngest son who is in the Navy. The last two+ years he's been stationed in Guam He's a submariner. Right now he is in the San Fransisco area at Mare Island. The ship is in dry dock for an overhaul.

And there is always a good book to read.

Reaction Score
Sad to admit, but I am never bored. As long as there are books to be read, I am occupado. I hoped to get more exercise, though I seldom do. I do put my sneaks outside every day in case something (short of a house fire) impels me out of doors.
Right now I am reading "The Good Lord Bird," the fictionalized account of John Brown's insurrection. It's told from the standpoint of a young black boy who is posing as a girl. Some prominent persons enter the story such as Frederick Douglass and Harriet Tubman. Mostly, it's a very funny take on a very serious subject.
Streaming TV should keep all couch potatoes busy. I've decided to go back to watching classic PBS shows. The period pieces transport me and help me to forget the s-storm raging about us.
PS/My sleeve is rolled up for the jab that hasn't come. Workers at my favorite grocery store have been vaccinated, but what good will that do when all the customers are dead?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sad to admit, but I am never bored. As long as there are books to be read, I am occupado. I hoped to get more exercise, though I seldom do. I do put my sneaks outside every day in case something (short of a house fire) impels me out of doors.
Right now I am reading "The Good Lord Bird," the fictionalized account of John Brown's insurrection. It's told from the standpoint of a young black boy who is posing as a girl. Some prominent persons enter the story such as Frederick Douglass and Harriet Tubman. Mostly, it's a very funny take on a very serious subject.
Streaming TV should keep all couch potatoes busy. I've decided to go back to watching classic PBS shows. The period pieces transport me and help me to forget the s-storm raging about us.
PS/My sleeve is rolled up for the jab that hasn't come. Workers at my favorite grocery store have been vaccinated, but what good will that do when all the customers are dead?
After you get done with the book, you may want to watch the Limited Series on Showtime.

Reaction Score
Well...........if you are really bored, you can come to the ranch and bring hay out to feed the cattle, wild horses, and the elk. No hunting. Then there are the chickens, and the horses in the stalls. There is always cleaning the stalls. If you can drive a tractor, which you probably can, there are fields that can be turned over. There is always target shooting, horseback riding and scaring the coyotes away from cattle. Firewood....we like firewood...go collect and chop wood. Just do not have a heart attack while you do all of this.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I know this thread is for UCONN fans, but I use basketball as an escape from a job that requires lots of time and features lots of little tasks that require attention to detail. Now that the semester is underway, there will seemingly be always something to do...and I'll look forward to basketball games to give myself a break and serve as a reward.

I think I was born about 15 years too late. Teaching must have been a lot simpler and streamlined back in "the good old days". I know when I was in college, I didn't have professors who held my hand and called to check up on me if I happened to miss a class but that's where we are now in the modern era. Not a good development if the ultimate goal is to produce responsible young adults who are independent thinkers and who are held accountable for their actions.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm wasting time ignoring threads devoted to football on this board. Head bang

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm glad someone posted this question and I've loved the responses so far.

I've been among the lucky ones, in that my health and my employment have not suffered as they have for so many. And with that awareness, my sense of gratitude has soared, and my thirst for ideas and discussions has never been greater. I've long been a bibliophile, but my appetite for reading has only soared and expanded in recent months. Perhaps it was partly because our iconic independent bookstore in Austin remained closed to in-store shopping for many months. When it finally reopened, just walking among its shelves felt like a privilege.

In addition to my expanded reading list, I've been tuning in to more of the radio shows and podcasts that I find enjoyable and enriching. There is just so much content out there, much of it not well known, catering to all sorts of interests and perspectives.

I've also found it enjoyable and refreshing to take a break from the U.S.-based media outlets by watching news broadcasts from other countries (CBC, BBC, France 24, DW, Al Jazeera, etc.). It has helped me, among other things, to maintain a broader perspective on this storm cloud enveloping our globe.

On the nonfiction side of this topic, one of the many books I've been dipping into these days is "The Zealot and the Emancipator" by H.W. Brands, a very good read.

Reaction Score
Fortunately, I've been able to continue working this whole time. Most of the summer we did remote training for our customers, rather than on site training, and have recently started traveling intermittently, again. Airports that are normally bustling, are eerily empty. For my rec time, there are still roads that my motorcycle and I haven't found, yet. The search continues.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to learn to play guitar. I have found I also enjoy the technical aspects of putting together a guitar, doing a setup, etc. Want to try my hand at building a Fender tube Amp clone also...

Trying not to get caught up in the political theater. Riots over the past year, etc..

Too sad for me. Rather make music.

Reaction Score

What have you been doing to keep busy during these times of uncertainty, COVID restrictions, National protests, Elections, Capital riots, game cancellations, etc. ?

Thankfully the PGA Tour was successful in completing their 2019-2020 season without much disruption and NASCAR did a decent job with their year.

I have found refuge in the new WGT game (World Golf Tour). WGT is currently the most realistic online golf game. Won't be long and April will be here and off to the links in real time.
Today, I decided to re-write a scene from Shakespeare's " All's Well That Ends Well." You could say that is a form of " going crazy." But a dagger enters my heart every time a UCONN game is postponed, re-scheduled and then postponed again. With nothing certain on the horizon. Nothing.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
As a professionally unemployed oxymoron spinner, my livelihood hasn't taken a hit, but my volunteer work has. I've tried to fill the suddenly available hours by growing potatoes—a nearly thankless task during a prolonged drought—and upping the usually abundant consumption of music, mostly classical and jazz.

Other pastimes include reading-history of science is a current favorite, along with mysteries (try Wiliam Tapply if you haven't enjoyed him yet, especially the three Stoney Calhoun books, the last he wrote before his death.) and poetry. Have been revisiting some Spanish Golden Age favorites, Quevedo in particular, and Latin American works by Nicolás Guillén and J. Gorostiza, among others.

There's an old adage, "Dogs have owners; cats have staff." We've been proof of this as servants of a colony of feral cats (or, if you prefer, barn cats). So far they have resisted my attempts to teach them Brazilian Portuguese, but when they hear me singing folk songs they come bounding up onto the porch, expecting munchies.
image.jpeg

Reaction Score
Fortunately, I've been able to continue working this whole time. Most of the summer we did remote training for our customers, rather than on site training, and have recently started traveling intermittently, again. Airports that are normally bustling, are eerily empty. For my rec time, there are still roads that my motorcycle and I haven't found, yet. The search continues.
"Fortunately"? Work sucks. I've ben spending a lot of time lurking you-know-where, trying very hard not to raise the ire of you-know-who. :)

Reaction Score

I pretty much do what I have always done. I get up everyday and go into the office for work. The major difference is very little traffic going to and from work which is fantastic. Also, the majority of people at my company are working from home so I have the whole office to myself. It's amazing how much work you can get done without any disruption.

Reaction Score

Email today said Lyman Meadows Jones course open tomorrow for walkers. Player course still open for walking or riding.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
As a professionally unemployed oxymoron spinner, my livelihood hasn't taken a hit, but my volunteer work has. I've tried to fill the suddenly available hours by growing potatoes—a nearly thankless task during a prolonged drought—and upping the usually abundant consumption of music, mostly classical and jazz.

Other pastimes include reading-history of science is a current favorite, along with mysteries (try Wiliam Tapply if you haven't enjoyed him yet, especially the three Stoney Calhoun books, the last he wrote before his death.) and poetry. Have been revisiting some Spanish Golden Age favorites, Quevedo in particular, and Latin American works by Nicolás Guillén and J. Gorostiza, among others.

There's an old adage, "Dogs have owners; cats have staff." We've been proof of this as servants of a colony of feral cats (or, if you prefer, barn cats). So far they have resisted my attempts to teach them Brazilian Portuguese, but when they hear me singing folk songs they come bounding up onto the porch, expecting munchies. View attachment 63543
Hey,if Mark Watley can grow potatoes on Mars, you can grow them during a drought. (watch The Martian, if you haven’t already. Awesome movie. No blood or gore, excessive swearing or nudity either, except one quick scene)

Reaction Score
Hopefully chase some women when the weather warms back up. :cool: Wish me luck... cause Imma sure need it. :oops:
Whaaaaat? With your encyclopedic knowledge of all those obscure and hard to find barbeque joints on the basketball trail? Gimme a break, you're in like Flynn. That's Cletus Flynn, but, gotta work with what you have.

Reaction Score
"Fortunately"? Work sucks. I've ben spending a lot of time lurking you-know-where, trying very hard not to raise the ire of you-know-who. :)
Yes, fortunately. The bank is funny about those silly mortgage payments.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Well...........if you are really bored, you can come to the ranch and bring hay out to feed the cattle, wild horses, and the elk. No hunting. Then there are the chickens, and the horses in the stalls. There is always cleaning the stalls. If you can drive a tractor, which you probably can, there are fields that can be turned over. There is always target shooting, horseback riding and scaring the coyotes away from cattle. Firewood....we like firewood...go collect and chop wood. Just do not have a heart attack while you do all of this.
Sign me up! I’ll bring the coffee.
23C311ED-3213-430C-B862-AD2AD7EC80B6.png

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
News alert - we just found the original Batman shows on the Roku channel. Bam! Pow! Holy action show, Batman!
We have Apple TV hooked up. One of our choice is CBS network. Good for catching up on Blue Bloods when we can't stay awake.

But we also found on this channel the original Star Trek series and all but one season of Perry Mason. Perry Mason is great. I like when the plot takes an unexpected tour. Also very interesting to watch the credits to see all the character actors, screen stars and newcomers that appeared. One of my favorites is Betty Davis filling in.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm thankfully still working. I was telecommuting for about two months, but have been going in almost daily since the beginning of June.

I've actually been less adventurous cooking because I'm not shopping as much. I still enjoy it and try new recipes a couple of times a month, but my regular rotation has contracted because I haven't been buying fresh ingredients several times a week.

The time I've saved from not commuting has almost all been spent turning wooden pennywhistles. These are small diatonic beak flutes, most often used in Irish traditional music and South African kwela. Here are a few I finished last summer:

D1 scaled 2.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom