What the heck are the Tigers thinking? | The Boneyard

What the heck are the Tigers thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
They signed Fielder for almost $24MM/yr over 9 years. $24MM is overpaying for him in the next year or two....nevermind 8 years from now.

This may be one of the worst contracts ever signed. How does Boras keep doing this? He must have had a video of the Detroit GM in some bad situations.

Reaction Score
He is one of the best power/RBI guys in the league and known to be a very good leader. He is younger than just about all comparable players...not sure I would have gone beyond 7 years but in today's market this isn't out of whack.

Reaction Score
Well they are thinking of having a lethal 1-2 punch with Cabrera and Fielder, much like the Sox had with Manny and Ortiz. The length of the contract is a little much but in todays market you dont really have a choice. This is for the short term. Fielder and Cabrera are in their prime right now and we know about their lethal pitching staff.

Reaction Score
Well they are thinking of having a lethal 1-2 punch with Cabrera and Fielder, much like the Sox had with Manny and Ortiz. The length of the contract is a little much but in todays market you dont really have a choice. This is for the short term. Fielder and Cabrera are in their prime right now and we know about their lethal pitching staff.

One pitcher makes a staff lethal?

Reaction Score
Their all young yeah their not Verlander but they are only going to get better well see how their talent pans out.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He's 5'10-ish and close enough to 300 pounds at about 28 years old. When it goes for him, it's gonna go fast.

I just don't know who they were bidding against.

Reaction Score
They signed Fielder for almost $24MM/yr over 9 years. $24MM is overpaying for him in the next year or two....nevermind 8 years from now.

This may be one of the worst contracts ever signed. How does Boras keep doing this? He must have had a video of the Detroit GM in some bad situations.

Illich is one of Boras' go-to chumps. He got him to sign Damon a few years ago after the market dried up for his terms. Boras always takes his signings late into the off-season, every year its speculated that he'll get his comeuppance, and the guy pulls a rabbit (dumb owner) out of his hat.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
He's 5'10-ish and close enough to 300 pounds at about 28 years old. When it goes for him, it's gonna go fast.
This. It's not that he can't keep hitting like he has for the next 3 or 4 years. But when he starts to regress naturally due to age his skills are going to deteriorate much more rapidly than the typical professional athlete. $24 million a year is not going to look good when this drop off comes.

Reaction Score
This. It's not that he can't keep hitting like he has for the next 3 or 4 years. But when he starts to regress naturally due to age his skills are going to deteriorate much more rapidly than the typical professional athlete. $24 million a year is not going to look good when this drop off comes.

And yet when I tried to tell that to my Tigers friend...it just fell on deaf ears.

Reaction Score
And yet when I tried to tell that to my Tigers friend...it just fell on deaf ears.

And he is a vegetarian. If he goes back to eating meat, your going to have one giant ballplayer.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
MLB Network did a comparison of players age 33 to 37 before drug testing averaged about 33 home runs. After testing (last 8 years)...13 home runs.

And Comerica is going to eat him up.

Plus he has serious rage issues.

Reaction Score
MLB Network did a comparison of players age 33 to 37 before drug testing averaged about 33 home runs. After testing (last 8 years)...13 home runs.

And Comerica is going to eat him up.

Plus he has serious rage issues.

Do you have a link? It just seems like a really weird stat. Did they include middle infielders, backups and catchers? That all major league players between the ages of 33 to 37 averaged 33 home runs sounds absurd.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Do you have a link? It just seems like a really weird stat. Did they include middle infielders, backups and catchers? That all major league players between the ages of 33 to 37 averaged 33 home runs sounds absurd.

I'll look later. The stats seemed pretty forensic...

Reaction Score
I just don't know who they were bidding against.

Exactly. He's a very good hitter, but in the middle of January, when you are the only option left, its a buyer's market. The Tigers are idiots.

Reaction Score
And he is a vegetarian. If he goes back to eating meat, your going to have one giant ballplayer.
Eh. The typical diet of a "vegetarian" is very fattening and filled with carbs. If he gave up that he would probably lose weight. Meat protein is nowhere near as bad for you as they claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom