What straw stirs the UConn drink? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What straw stirs the UConn drink?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We are blessed to have a marvelously talented team. On any given day any player can have a special day.
While my 1st impulse would be to go with "Big Game" Gabby Williams, the real beauty of the UConn team is that on any given night there are multiple Huskies that can take over a game.

Just this past season, off the top of my head, I can name 5 players that took over key games leading to Husky wins: Pheesa (FSU), Danger (Baylor), Gabby (ND), Lou (MD) & Kia (Cuse).

This season, add in Z, Walker, etc. & it is truly "Pick your poison" for Husky opponents.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
If you listen to opposing coaches the player on Connecticut's team that they are most concerned about and that they 'game plan' for is Katie Lou Samuelson. Dawn Staley and Muffet McGraw specifically referenced KLS when they talked about defending Connecticut. I don't know if that qualifies for the purpose of this partticular thread but I believe it's relevant.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm going with The Gabbbbbbbbbulous One!!!!!
I had to think about this a while, but I think you are right. She is a great competitor. She has a motor that just won't quit. There's a lot of talent on this team but Gabby is the "X Factor."

Pheesa would be my second choice. We saw what her having a sub par game meant in the Miss St. game.

Reaction Score
Many, many coaches would be happy to have one of our straws and would build a floor game around them. The concept of "a" straw is contrary to Geno's team philosophy and coaching style. So,

On the other spectrum, how about stirring a crazy drink with a Frese Pop:confused::confused:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If you listen to opposing coaches the player on Connecticut's team that they are most concerned about and that they 'game plan' for is Katie Lou Samuelson. Dawn Staley and Muffet McGraw specifically referenced KLS when they talked about defending Connecticut. I don't know if that qualifies for the purpose of this partticular thread but I believe it's relevant.
You're absolutely correct and then, to the point about picking your poison, while SC & ND were worried about stopping Lou, Big Game Gabby destroyed them.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
The glass that holds it all together.

And also, while Gabby is sort of my favorite (I'd hate to have to pick one) and the most dynamic player on the squad --as well as the clear emotional leader--I recall Geno saying a number of times last year that when Collier comes out , everything tends to get stagnant and things just don't work right. I don't think any other single player has garnered that particular kind of comment from GA consistently.

To me , that is what "straw that stirs the drink" means

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

On the purely offensive side of the ball which is the relevant side when other coaches discuss defending UConn, Gabby is certainly not the most dangerous Husky but that is a small fraction of Gabby's overall impact on the game. Her defense, athleticism and toughness demoralize opponents more than shot making in my opinion(with the exception of 10 for 10 from 3pt but that does not happen that often). When a player can just rip the ball out of opponents hand (USF anyone), that stirs my drink. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To me, it's Gabby - there are a lot of wonderful players on the UCONN roster, but Gabby's quickness, vision, court sense, athleticism, etc. make her a true catalyst for much of what the team can accomplish on the court.

Reaction Score
gabby.jpg

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
This is one of the better threads in recent weeks!

The term is not necessarily self-explanatory, although it has been defined to mean the person who stimulates or inspires a group, or the most valuable or important person in a system.

Like many others, I think that Gabby is the one. I recall one or more of the team saying that Gabby is the one they turn to for leadership in challenging situations, and the HBO Series showed us that she is the strongest presence off the court as well.

On top of all that, she seems to rise to the occasion at key times on the court, such as against Notre Dame and South Carolina.

Oddly enough, she does occasionally show a wobbly side. Probably due to high personal expectations and being hard on herself. There was the game at Gampel last season when Geno gave her an impromptu pep talk while play was going on, after she missed a couple of free throws. I recall she jumped back into the same play and got an assist, or maybe it was a rebound. In any event, although I can`t recall the opponent, pretty sure it was an easy game and that she wouldn`t allow herself to get like that when the chips were really down.

Unlike Reggie, Gabby would never declare herself to be the straw that stirs the drink. Nor would any of the other fabulous members of this wonderful team who all do, on occasion, take their turns at stirring.

Reggie`s statement was very divisive when he said it in 1977, an insult to the real team leader, Thurman Munson. Reggie made attempts to deny he ever said it, but no one believed him. He did get a large measure of vindication in the 1977 World Series, hitting 5 home runs including 3 in the decisive game 6 against the Dodgers. Hence the name "Mr. October".

Note: A Husky being called "Ms. October" would NOT be a compliment!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The Airborne One

rendc5-6d7qk07bwk2qslhyhwc_layout.jpg

This is also a perfect example of a "blocking foul". Not sure?, look at the defender's feet. Are they set BEFORE the offensive player leaves the ground? The defensive player (who is a little late getting over) is also a second away from getting a knee in her chest.

Reaction Score
Gabby "runs away" from the greatest or best name tags as in interviews with Holly Rowe or another interviewer she reddens at the mention of her abilities! Holly several times called Gabby the best WCBB player and Gabby couldn't change the subject fast enough!

Reaction Score
My respect for the basketball-savvy character of most of my friends here is reinforced by their understanding that on a team of superstars, Gabby Williams, who, among other things, is the single best defensive player in the country, is the ultimate weapon!

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
On the purely offensive side of the ball which is the relevant side when other coaches discuss defending UConn, Gabby is certainly not the most dangerous Husky but that is a small fraction of Gabby's overall impact on the game. Her defense, athleticism and toughness demoralize opponents more than shot making in my opinion(with the exception of 10 for 10 from 3pt but that does not happen that often). When a player can just rip the ball out of opponents hand (USF anyone), that stirs my drink. :rolleyes:
For me it isn't an argument, but when every opposing coach gameplans specifically to stop one player it inevitably affords another player(s) opportunities. I take nothing away from Gabby, she is a terrific player but coaches don't believe Gabby can beat them no matter how well she plays. They believe the biggest threat on the Connecticut team is KLS and that's why the focus of every team, every game is on stopping her. That may not be the case this season with the additions but it was last year.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Having watched Gabby be the best player on the court against their teams, I wonder how Muffet and Dawn would answer the question. Gabby was UConn's best player against Notre Dame (19 points and 12 rebounds) and far and away its best player against South Carolina (26 points and 14 rebounds).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Having watched Gabby be the best player on the court against their teams, I wonder how Muffet and Dawn would answer the question. Gabby was UConn's best player against Notre Dame (19 points and 12 rebounds) and far and away its best player against South Carolina (26 points and 14 rebounds).
I think the coaches erred in their game planning. :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

"Gabby Williams got any rebound she wanted tonight."
Muffet

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

It is great to see her (
Gabby) develop and it obvious that she's put in the work.
Dawn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom