What straw stirs the UConn drink? | The Boneyard

What straw stirs the UConn drink?

Reaction Score
Reggie Jackson's self-descriptive phrase, but I thought of it when listening to someone describe a late friend as the key person in their social group.

For UConn, probably one of the rising seniors, Gabby or Kia. But which one, or is it Pheesa or Lou or multiple or no "straws"?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There is a theory espoused with all sincerity by a wacky orange fan that an Alpha player is the path to perdition. If the initials are DD I can understand it leaving a mark, black and blue.

Reaction Score
They all have important roles (and I imagine Azura and Batouly and at least some of the rookies will as well), but Gabby is the person around whom they all revolve. She's the one who can be the difference maker in a lot of ways.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Reggie Jackson's self-descriptive phrase, but I thought of it when listening to someone describe a late friend as the key person in their social group.

For UConn, probably one of the rising seniors, Gabby or Kia. But which one, or is it Pheesa or Lou or multiple or no "straws"?

I would hope the straw that stirs UCONN is their last game, the loss to Mississippi State.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Airborne One

rendc5-6d7qk07bwk2qslhyhwc_layout.jpg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I had to pause and think about it for a moment because Collier is as regular as a morning sunrise. You can pencil in a double-double for her just about EVERY game ALL year!!

However, after further review and reflection, the question was "straw" which is singular, I gotta go with Gabrielle Williams!!!! If there can be only 1 straw, Gabby is it. She can dominate the game on BOTH ends of the court. When she really wants to attack the basket, no one can stop her. The best most defenders can hope for is to cut her off and hopefully draw a charging foul. Remember what Geno said "When Gabby is guarding you, you're guarded." It's hard to get around her and Kia. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Gabby and Kia, I see Nurse having her best year because of the rest she had this summer. It took her awhile to get going last year between her surgery and playing in the Olympics. She is a natural leader. Gabby IMO was the best 4/5 in the country! Better than Coates, Jones, Turner and Wilson and she should have been 1st team AA on more than 1 team! These 2 players not only were the straws that stirred the drink but that drink came in a pitcher. After who they lost they both stepped up for their young teammates.

Reaction Score
Gabby is one of the few players in WBB that can constantly take over a game completely! There are many players that can take over a game on one side of the ball, DT offensively for example! But Gabby as in the ND game and the SoCar game can just dominate every facet of the game! And even though she is tiring she reaches back for another level to push her to make a needed play!
Maya Moore did at times, like the DePaul game, where she chased the opponent down and took the ball away at the end of a close game, along with her outstanding offense! But no one IMHO from UCONN and maybe WBB in total has had the "gifts" Gabby has to dominate the whole game for 40 minutes!
I really respect Jay Bilas as a basketball analyst and he stated that she is hands down, the best athlete/BB player in the Women's or Men's game at this time!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom