What stage do you think we are in the coaching search? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What stage do you think we are in the coaching search?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I just don't think it will move that fast. I think we've reached out and definitely have a plan - we should be much better prepared than after the Edsall midnight run, but there are still a few dominos to fall and our prospects will be interviewing for other jobs as well and mulling their decision.

I'd be shocked if we have a high-profile name within a week. I think we'll have a hire by 12/20, but like Art said, "what do i know?"

Reaction Score
Susan should be at the game on Saturday to tell Wiest and staff that they are interviewing for Head Coaches now.
Warde should be in Indianapolis to block the MSU bus from leaving.
With all this time, all the gruntwork should've been done. A list of candidates in order. Agents spoken to see what kind of interest. Interviews starts Saturday.
We should have a coach by the end of next week.

Reaction Score
If we defeat Memphis, Susan will be saying to TJ he did a good job.

Reaction Score
The tighter the lid the better, IMO. And, as others have mentioned, just because our season doesn't end until Saturday afternoon doesn't mean other team's seasons end then too. For those who were done last week, I have to assume contact and potentially an interview has been made.

With Skype, Cisco Telepresence, and other virtual video meeting technology readily available, Warde technically doesn't even have to leave the state let alone his own office to meet with a candidate. Not saying he did this, as I'd prefer an in-person interview myself, but it's 100% a possibility to keep his tracks concealed.

Reaction Score
If it's Narduzzi what is the SOP for assistants in bowl games. Does Mich State even want him to coach if he takes another job?

Is there really a SOP in a situation like that? Look at USC.. Ed O found out he's not going to get the HC job there, so he resigned immediately and is looking for a HC gig elsewhere... Or what about when Brian Kelly bailed on Cincy for ND? Jones took over for the Bowl game... just sayin...

Reaction Score
The tighter the lid the better, IMO. And, as others have mentioned, just because our season doesn't end until Saturday afternoon doesn't mean other team's seasons end then too. For those who were done last week, I have to assume contact and potentially an interview has been made.

With Skype, Cisco Telepresence, and other virtual video meeting technology readily available, Warde technically doesn't even have to leave the state let alone his own office to meet with a candidate. Not saying he did this, as I'd prefer an in-person interview myself, but it's 100% a possibility to keep his tracks concealed.

Video conferencing has created an entirely new standard, IMO, in terms of communicating with others in a way we've never seen before. Especially with an interview process like this. But u still have to finalize things after meeting face to face.

Reaction Score
Video conferencing has created an entirely new standard, IMO, in terms of communicating with others in a way we've never seen before. Especially with an interview process like this. But u still have to finalize things after meeting face to face.

I highly doubt that any candidate would do a video interview for the head coach job. Head coaching interviews are face to face. Now, I could see a head coach hiring an assistant with a phone or video interview.

Reaction Score
I don't think the dead period stops players from contacting coaches. I can't imagine that commits weren't told to call Warde or someone who will give them the new coaches phone number.

I also don't think it stops coaches from calling commits high school coaches to relay a message for the commit to call the new coach.

Then again what do I know.

You know more than you think :p

The Dead period is when coaches are not allowed to meet with perspective student athletes on or off campus- in person. Lettes/Emails and brief calls are allowed. Campus visits are allowed as well as long the PSA doesn't meet with a coach. -- As noted somewhere here - For 2013-14, Dec. 16 through Jan. 15 is the winter dead period.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Susan should be at the game on Saturday to tell Wiest and staff that they are interviewing for Head Coaches now.
Warde should be in Indianapolis to block the MSU bus from leaving.
With all this time, all the gruntwork should've been done. A list of candidates in order. Agents spoken to see what kind of interest. Interviews starts Saturday.
We should have a coach by the end of next week.

Mr. Manuel told Coach Weist through his press conference to relieve the former coach that he has to win in order to be considered for the permanent job. 2-5 and potentially 3-5 vs. 3 of the weakest team in the conference does not = winning in my book.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
None of us know. I hope that the initial list has been shortened to 4 or 5. I hope that phone interviews have been conducted and perhaps one or two in person. I hope that we are in a position to narrow the list to two next week and announce a coach by the 20th at the lastest. I hope the silence from the AD's office reflects increased competence in keeping things under wraps, and not incompetence in that things aren't progressing.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well as a fanbase we had denial and anger. I think Warde was in anger after Buffalo too. Hope the bargaining phase comes soon.

Reaction Score
None of us know. I hope that the initial list has been shortened to 4 or 5. I hope that phone interviews have been conducted and perhaps one or two in person. I hope that we are in a position to narrow the list to two next week and announce a coach by the 20th at the lastest. I hope the silence from the AD's office reflects increased competence in keeping things under wraps, and not incompetence in that things aren't progressing.
I agree with this. And I really hope the AD isn't going to an island somewhere until all our preferred coaches are taken...unless one of the coaches is there to be interviewed!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
huskymedic said:

The Dead period is when coaches are not allowed to meet with perspective student athletes on or off campus- in person. Lettes/Emails and brief calls are allowed. Campus visits are allowed as well as long the PSA doesn't meet with a coach. -- As noted somewhere here - For 2013-14, Dec. 16 through Jan. 15 is the winter dead period.

According to the USA Today they can't contact recruits.

But other places say calls are allowed just no face to face.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

According to the USA Today they can't contact recruits.

But other places say calls are allowed just no face to face.

I'm pretty sure that USA Today iswrong (imagine that ;)) - http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...dopts-football-recruiting-summer-access-rules

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Eligibility/Becoming+Eligible/Recruiting

"What is a dead period?
During a dead period a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents, and may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools. Coaches may write and telephone student-athletes or their parents during a dead period."

Reaction Score
to the OP's point, it should be nearing the end with the trigger pulled by this time next week.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure this is correct but I seem to remember that because UConn is a State institution it might need to post the job for some prescribed period. That could delay the official announcement by a few days. But I hope the deal is done and the rest is just paperwork.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I really hope we are in finishing stages now. I think we need to make a quick hire to turn the page on this miserable season as quickly as possible. It's a new era for UCONN football and it starts the day that we have a new coach. He'll need time to assemble a staff, contact current verbals and reach our to potential guys that he might want to bring in on his own.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
OK...now Washington has a new coach...USC has a new coach....Miami of Ohio has a new coach...Wake is interviewing.

And UConn? Not a peep. Not even a good juicy rumor lately. If it was TJ...wouldn't they have announced it already? Would beating Memphis at home really sway that decision? It feels like he would have been announced already if it was him.

I really hope the speculation is true that it's because Narduzzi (or another candidate) has a huge game tomorrow and MSU doesn't want distractions and WM is honoring that. I really hope it's not because we are hitting dead ends and haven't made a decision yet.

Reaction Score
footballscoop10:35am via TweetDeck
UConn must feel pretty confident in their short list because some really good coaches tell me they can’t get their calls returned

Now there definition of "really good coach" may not jive with what the BY thinks is a "really good coach".

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
huskymedic said:
footballscoop10:35am via TweetDeck
UConn must feel pretty confident in their short list because some really good coaches tell me they can’t get their calls returned

Now there definition of "really good coach" may not jive with what the BY thinks is a "really good coach".

I would take their definition over the Boneyard definition.

Reaction Score
When I read about Washington already having front runners and their position has been open a week...and I haven't even heard about anyone interviewing at UConn and that position has been open 3 months...is that because UConn already has it's plan and they are waiting for the season to end to anounce....or is UConn being held up by a coach who is in the running for other positions....or is UConn really just waiting until the season ends to talk to candidates.

I know WM mentioned about doing this process correctly....but you have to believe the search firm is already working this from some angle.

It just feels like there is very little information about UConn's coach search.

How quick can Warde call HCTJW into his office?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom