What stage do you think we are in the coaching search? | The Boneyard

What stage do you think we are in the coaching search?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
When I read about Washington already having front runners and their position has been open a week...and I haven't even heard about anyone interviewing at UConn and that position has been open 3 months...is that because UConn already has it's plan and they are waiting for the season to end to anounce....or is UConn being held up by a coach who is in the running for other positions....or is UConn really just waiting until the season ends to talk to candidates.

I know WM mentioned about doing this process correctly....but you have to believe the search firm is already working this from some angle.

It just feels like there is very little information about UConn's coach search.

Reaction Score
We are near the end of the process IMO. Interviews will be conducted after Saturday. I'd imagine we have a coach well before Christmas. If it goes past Christmas.......we have a problem.

Reaction Score
When I read about Washington already having front runners and their position has been open a week...and I haven't even heard about anyone interviewing at UConn and that position has been open 3 months...is that because UConn already has it's plan and they are waiting for the season to end to anounce....or is UConn being held up by a coach who is in the running for other positions....or is UConn really just waiting until the season ends to talk to candidates.

I know WM mentioned about doing this process correctly....but you have to believe the search firm is already working this from some angle.

It just feels like there is very little information about UConn's coach search.

Officially WM said he will wait until after the season is over to start interviewing. I wouldn't be surprised if the search firm hasn't already gotten into contact with several people and passed them on to WM. My guess is that once Sunday rolls around everything is going to happen very quickly.

Reaction Score
I think we have a Head Coach by Monday.

This is OUR weekend. I bet most of the prelim Due Diligence is done. Some interviews have taken place ... and our final push is Saturday/Sunday. Done by 12/9.

Recruiting season? Started December 1. I just read the NCAA calendar and it looks like they did away with the Quiet period between XMAS and NewYears. We need to get into it.

Reaction Score
My guess is that we will know who most of the candidates are by next Friday (13th) and the new coach is announced by Friday, December 20th.

Over the last 3 months, Warde has been targeting the candidates and organizing the schedule to get everybody associated with UConn lined up for and scheduled for interviews. This is not like the search after Edsall left which was rushed.

Reaction Score

This is OUR weekend. I bet most of the prelim Due Diligence is done. Some interviews have taken place ... and our final push is Saturday/Sunday. Done by 12/9.

Recruiting season? Started December 1. I just read the NCAA calendar and it looks like they did away with the Quiet period between XMAS and NewYears. We need to get into it.

I don't think we have a HC by Monday. The interviews have not been done yet and UConn will have to bring in at least 3 candidates for interviews with a number of people. As a state university, you have to make sure that you cover all the bases. I think the earliest you could see a new coach is by next weekend.

Reaction Score

I don't know about Monday. However I think there will be announcement before a week from today.

Reaction Score
Seriously ... you don't hear about interviews anymore. They are being done. Games were complete last weekend.

As fast as we saw the Sarkisian thing come together; that's what I expect Warde Manual to feel. Every day he loses a day to the next domino wave. So ... we are competing/comparing to Wake? Could be 2 others next Monday. Get 'er done.

Reaction Score
Lembo has hopefully already had one interview, his regular season is over.

Reaction Score
I think we'll have the new coach by December 15. UConn has been in contact with the guys they want to consider and will likely move pretty quickly from here on out. I believe they'll wait until after the season for interviews,but those will likely be pro forma anyway. And you never know if some last minute resignation/firing might influence decision making, but my gut says the next head coach will replace his green and white for national flag blue and white. If he's not the selection I think we may get a surprise. I still want Lembo.

Reaction Score
If it's Narduzzi what is the SOP for assistants in bowl games. Does Mich State even want him to coach if he takes another job?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I kind of agree with Pudge that someone could be in place as soon as Monday. I only hesitate because I can't believe we haven't heard at all about interviews. Seems like WM is keeping a very tight lid on this...and I don't know how to read that.

Reaction Score
I think we'll have the new coach by December 15. UConn has been in contact with the guys they want to consider and will likely move pretty quickly from here on out. I believe they'll wait until after the season for interviews, and you never know if some last minute resignation/firing might influence decision making, but my gut says the next head coach will replace his green and white for national flag blue and white.

I agree, this is the perfect set-up for Narduzzi. He should be chomping at the bit to get to Storrs. I think he's Warde's primary target.

Narduzzi is straight out of central casting for this position.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If it's Narduzzi what is the SOP for assistants in bowl games. Does Mich State even want him to coach if he takes another job?
Some coach, some don't....I can't see him wanting to stay, he needs to hire a staff (most guys go into interview with a OC/DC already to go)...and hit the ground recruiting.

Reaction Score
Uconn will absolutely have a coach and most of its staff in place before December 10th for this reason. Gotta give the coach a chance to reach out to recruits before the dead period.

That is an old link chronicling the recruitment of Matt Elam, who went to Florida and is now with the Ravens. That has be at least 4 years old.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
If we have interviewed people already, I'm surprised we haven't had any leaks about them.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If we have interviewed people already, I'm surprised we haven't had any leaks about them.

That's because no one who covers UConn sports has reliable contacts inside the administration.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see if the list of finalists is released kind of like it was for the hockey job. Perkins did that 2x when he hired a football coach (Holtz and Edsall).

Reaction Score
I don't think the dead period stops players from contacting coaches. I can't imagine that commits weren't told to call Warde or someone who will give them the new coaches phone number.

I also don't think it stops coaches from calling commits high school coaches to relay a message for the commit to call the new coach.

Then again what do I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69