What sport or other endeavor requires the greatest all-around athletes? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What sport or other endeavor requires the greatest all-around athletes?

Reaction Score
For a single effort of short duration, pole-vaulting requires speed of foot, grip strength, arm strength, core strength, coordination, and agility. Wrestlers are also quite athletic.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
The original statement said: "All-around." So, this does not mean just ONE skill such as running or hitting a baseball. You cannot say a sport such as Football because there are so many different positions which require individual skills, not all-around. A Center for example ; he doesn't have to run fast, throw a ball, or catch a pass.

I think the answer is BASKETBALL........all players have to : run up and down the court, pass the ball, catch the ball, jump to rebound, shoot the ball, and be quick enough to play defense.

Reaction Score
A lot of bubble-blowing here.

“Hitting a baseball is THE hardest thing to do in the world of sports.” Really? Harder than landing a quadruple axel? Harder than running a 2:05 marathon? Harder than the 4-6-7-9-10 split in bowling?

“We can probably eliminate boxing...” Really? We can? Why?

There is unlikely to be any consensus on the topic. But we should at least attempt some consensus as to what we are measuring and how those measures are weighted. Here’s a beginning (one that places boxing and ice hockey at 1 and 2).

Degree of difficulty— sport ranking

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I would like to suggest that you sharpen up the question a bit. Here is how I would do it (certainly not the only way):

First, limit the scope to the four major professional sports: baseball, football, basketball, and hockey.

Second, ask the question about the requirements of a position (e.g., point guard in basketball, center fielder in baseball).

Third, to allow for the fact that someone playing almost every position in every sport benefits from great athleticism, focus on positions which demand extreme athleticism simply to play the position. For example, a forward in basketball certainly benefits from great athleticism (e.g., Michael Jordan or Lebron James), but someone can be an excellent player at that position without being a world-class athlete (e.g., Larry Bird).

With those three restrictions, I would propose that the position in any of the four major sports that has the highest entry requirements to play it competently is the cornerback position in football. A cornerback needs Olympic-level speed, as does a wide receiver, but the receiver runs a pattern and knows where he is going, while the CB needs to stay attached to the WR no matter where he goes. That means he needs great reflexes and the ability to turn on a dime -- attributes that the WR really does not require. A safety plays further behind the line of scrimmage than a CB and has more time to read the play and get in position to make the tackle, so he can be a step slower than the CB or the WR and still do his job effectively.

A safety probably requires more cognitive skill than a CB to read the play and recognize where the pass is going to go, and a quarterback certainly requires more cognitive skill than either the CB or the safety.

But for pure athleticism (speed, agility, quickness, leaping ability to contest a reception by a tall receiver), I can't think of any position that is more demanding than that of the NFL cornerback.

Reaction Score
A lot of bubble-blowing here.

“Hitting a baseball is THE hardest thing to do in the world of sports.” Really? Harder than landing a quadruple axel? Harder than running a 2:05 marathon? Harder than the 4-6-7-9-10 split in bowling?

“We can probably eliminate boxing...” Really? We can? Why?

There is unlikely to be any consensus on the topic. But we should at least attempt some consensus as to what we are measuring and how those measures are weighted. Here’s a beginning (one that places boxing and ice hockey at 1 and 2).

Degree of difficulty— sport ranking
Haha - cheerleading came out as the 52nd most difficult sport, ahead of fishing, bowling, billiards and curling.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Just to stir it up, what about ultra endurance racers? 50 or 100 mile courses, sometimes in the mountains in punishing terrain.

Or expedition mountain climbing poses a series of challenges, both mental and physical, unlike anything else I can think of.
Along the same lines, I was going to suggest grand-tour cycling. There’s 40 minutes of hell, but then there’s three weeks of hell. I watch the Tour de France most years and see those riders go over a climb I couldn’t imagine, then five more worse than that one. Then again the next day. And again. . .

They come back after crashes. They descend at 70-80 mph.

I dunno what anyone else’s definition of all-round athlete is, but my vote is for the tour rider.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Making split-second decisions while riding a half-ton thoroughbred race horse in tight quarters is really difficult...and really dangerous.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This guy:

1606974461652.png

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Just a couple cents here. Of course everyone has an opinion. And it really depends on how one describes, thinks of "athleticism".

I don't find baseball or golf as overly athletic. Very high on skills, but don't really need a lot of athleticism. No endurance at all (per game, maybe some per season). But really for a baseball player, half the game they are sitting on the bench, half of the other half they are standing waiting for the pitcher/batter. Golf has to walk, but no running, jumping, throwing, catching. Very, very high on skills though. I would agree hitting a baseball is one of the toughest "skills" there is. Golf, high skills also, BUT, no distractions, the ball is stationary, and no one is trying to stop you from taking your shot. No quickness needed. No quick adjustments. You have all day to figure out your shot, set it up and attempt it.

Football has some great athletes in it, but again, most players don't play more than half the game. And then only 7 seconds at a time with a 30 sec rest. Plus commercials, timeouts. But it does involve, speed, strength, jumping, quickness, durability. I'd agree CB's WR's, probably even LB's can be very athletic minus endurance.

Comparing football to rugby for instance. Rugby still needs the speed, strength, jumping, quickness, durability, but also throws in lot's of endurance. Most play all 80+ minutes of a game.

Gymnastics involve speed, jumping, strength (compared to body weight), agility, flexibility. Not a lot of endurance though. Not a lot of adjustments. I mean if you are good, you are doing the same exact thing over and over. The less variation, the better.

I'd consider cyclists, soccer players, basketball players, decathlon athletes as some of the more athletic. Speed, jumping, endurance, quickness, quick reactions. Decathlons with more upper body strength than cyclists or soccer players though. Tennis also.

Looking into some of this, one that surprised me a bit were race car drivers (NASCAR, F1). They can lose 5-7 lbs during a race. Also their hearts rates average around 140+ bpm for 3-4 hours. Also need quick reactions. And the cognitive drain is incredible. And if they make a mistake, they don't get scored on, they can die.

Just some thoughts.

Reaction Score
Many years ago I went to college in Pittsburgh, and the school housed the Pittsburgh Ballet Theater. There was a huge picture window looking onto their rehearsal stage. The students would walk by and be mesmerized by the strength ,stamina, grace, and precision of their routines. And I mean they went over and over things for hours at a time. I never worked so hard in football or baseball practice. To me they were truly amazing athletes. For that matter watch a rehearsal for a Broadway musical and it is impressive. Watching the USA soccer ladies I saw some fine displays too. And I would bet a UConn wbb practice is impressive also.
Another vote for Ballet dancers. Watching a male dancer effortlessly holding a female in the air who is 5’ 9” inches and 130 pounds with one arm is breathtaking.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
First, limit the scope to the four major professional sports: baseball, football, basketball, and hockey.
"First, limit the scope to the four major professional sports: baseball, football, basketball, and hockey."
In what way are these four sports THE major sports? As I understand; the question refers to practitioners, not fans. Ranked by number of practitioners the 10 major sports are football (soccer), badminton, field hockey, volleyball, basketball, tennis, cricket, table tennis, baseball, and golf.
Why just professional sports? There are amateur sports which have far greater athletic demands not to mention intestinal fortitude than these four such as free soloing (no ropes) ... El Capitan. Professional football players play maybe 30 minutes of a 60 minute game spread over 3 hours. Alex Honnold free soloed El Capitan in 3 hrs 56 mins. American Football is played on a level field. The face of El Capitan is vertical for 3,200 feet. That is a tad over 6/10 ths of a mile straight up with no timeouts or BR breaks! And God forbid a violent spontaneous sneeze! ;):rolleyes: His route was not a straight line.
1607016642452.png

Tell me you watched the video below without your pulse increasing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Long ago, I read a book on the science of sports, which discussed several distinct qualities:
1. Speed
2. Strength
3. Stamina
4. Skill
5. Suppleness
I think that using these to examine the best all-around athlete would be a good organizing framework. Basketball certainly is high on the list.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Why was decathlon discarded so quickly? Finding the best athlete is literally the point.

Beyond that, an Ironman triathlete. Swimming, biking, and running. No rest.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why was decathlon discarded so quickly? Finding the best athlete is literally the point.
Any tests of eye/hand coordination in the sport? That's what has me leaning toward a WR/TE.

Reaction Score
A top flight baseball hitter has the best, hands down, eye-hand coordination. But that alone doesn't make them the "best athlete". It is the toughest thing to do in sports. Some baseball players i.e. Micky Mantle (name your favorite) were more than just hitters, but generally that is what they were remembered for. FYI, I don't think I've ever hit a really good curve ball. Thus the end of my baseball career (bah).

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Any tests of eye/hand coordination in the sport? That's what has me leaning toward a WR/TE.
Pole vault takes more hand-eye coordination than catching a ball :)

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
"First, limit the scope to the four major professional sports: baseball, football, basketball, and hockey."
In what way are these four sports THE major sports? As I understand; the question refers to practitioners, not fans. Ranked by number of practitioners the 10 major sports are football (soccer), badminton, field hockey, volleyball, basketball, tennis, cricket, table tennis, baseball, and golf.
Why just professional sports? There are amateur sports which have far greater athletic demands not to mention intestinal fortitude than these four such as free soloing (no ropes) ... El Capitan. Professional football players play maybe 30 minutes of a 60 minute game spread over 3 hours. Alex Honnold free soloed El Capitan in 3 hrs 56 mins. American Football is played on a level field. The face of El Capitan is vertical for 3,200 feet. That is a tad over 6/10 ths of a mile straight up with no timeouts or BR breaks! And God forbid a violent spontaneous sneeze! ;):rolleyes: His route was not a straight line.
View attachment 61974
Tell me you watched the video below without your pulse increasing.

Even Kirk couldn't master El Capitan.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I have to admit I was impressed when I first saw college rowers. Amazing upper body strength, combined with endurance. Besides using their backs, their legs do a lot of the work. Check out some Olympic rowers some day. But also, Olympic swimmers are in incredible condition, so there's that.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Even Kirk couldn't master El Capitan.
The transporter was not functioning on that day. "Beam me upthere, Scotty!" didn't work.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Pole vault takes more hand-eye coordination than catching a ball :)
Pole vaulter versus Table Tennis player? Table tennis player requires far more hand-eye coordination not to mention amazing quickness.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom