What sport or other endeavor requires the greatest all-around athletes? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What sport or other endeavor requires the greatest all-around athletes?

Reaction Score
Living in Florida I nominate shuffleboard. They won't even let you play unless yoou,ve had at least 3 beers...and not lite beer..

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Pole vaulter versus Table Tennis player? Table tennis player requires far more hand-eye coordination not to mention amazing quickness.

Are you trying to say playing table tennis requires more athleticism than being a decathlete?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Are you trying to say playing table tennis requires more athleticism than being a decathlete?
Pole vault takes more hand-eye coordination than catching a ball :)
I clearly said a table tennis player requires far more eye to hand coordination than a pole vaulter.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I can see pole vault a little. But unlike a ball, the box is stationary. The last two, no.
You’re correct on the latter two — I was thinking more hand-brain coordination, which would include most sports. But wrt the pole vault, yes the box is stationary, but the tip of the pole is moving relative to the hands, and the vaulter is running at a sprInt.

Of course, there’s foot-eye coordination, too, which is involved in the disc, javelin, hurdles, high jump, and broad jump as well as pole vault.

I was a tight end and did all the events I cited except for the pole vault, and to me there’s no comparison in the skill and athleticism involved.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I can see pole vault a little. But unlike a ball, the box is stationary. The last two, no.
You’re correct on the latter two — I was thinking more hand-brain coordination, which would include most sports. But wrt the pole vault, yes the box is stationary, but the tip of the pole is moving relative to the hands, and the vaulter is running at a sprInt.
There is a fair amount of agility and coordination required to be competitive in the shot and discus. Eddie 'The Beast' Hall tried to use his massive strength for the discus and shot. Only to learn there is more to these events then strength and power. See videos below. Note the real shot putters' technique early in the video. Notice the footwork required, timing of the release, and the speed of execution.
Mr. Hall is a British former professional strongman. He won the World's Strongest Man 2017 competition and is the former world record deadlift holder, lifting 500 kg under strongman rules.
First video

Second video
Olympic Discus Coach REACTS To Eddie Hall Discus Throws

Last edited:

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I clearly said a table tennis player requires far more eye to hand coordination than a pole vaulter.

Okay, great. I'm just wondering about what point you're trying to make, especially since no one was talking about either one.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom