What sets UConn apart from everybody else | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What sets UConn apart from everybody else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
. One-on-one play has never been a big part of UConn's repertoire...

Actually, Joe, on one momentous occasion it was; in the NC game against OU when Geno had four players clear out and sent DT against Dales one on one. I know, "the exception that proves the rule", I agree. But that was one of the (many) unforgettable moments in UConn basketball. And it serves to point up the adaptability of Geno's coaching, adopting unusual tactics when necessary in a given situation.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
. One-on-one play has never been a big part of UConn's repertoire...

Actually, Joe, on one momentous occasion it was; in the NC game against OU when Geno had four players clear out and sent DT against Dales one on one. I know, "the exception that proves the rule", I agree. But that was one of the (many) unforgettable moments in UConn basketball. And it serves to point up the adaptability of Geno's coaching, adopting unusual tactics when necessary in a given situation.

Yup, fouled Dales out of the game with a little over 2 minutes left I believe. That was the intent.

And, Tony, we need one of your topics like this every couple of days I figure. Sorta scares away lurker/troll/flamers. They read, throw up in their mouths and click away.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
easttexastrash said:
One national championship

image-2880451292.jpg

Illustration thereof. :)

Reaction Score
Yup, fouled Dales out of the game with a little over 2 minutes left I believe. That was the intent.

And, Tony, we need one of your topics like this every couple of days I figure. Sorta scares away lurker/troll/flamers. They read, throw up in their mouths and click away.
Actually it wasn't Dales who she backed in, it was Dionnah Jackson. Dales slid over at the last second and fouled DT after she beat Jackson. FF to the 1:15:00 to relive one of the greatest 20 seconds in UCONN history (or enjoy the whole game - one of my all-rime favs)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Actually it wasn't Dales who she backed in, it was Dionnah Jackson. Dales slid over at the last second and fouled DT after she beat Jackson. FF to the 1:15:00 to relive one of the greatest 20 seconds in UCONN history (or enjoy the whole game - one of my all-rime favs)

Absolutely right. I had it in my head that Diana poked and prodded Dales behind her 'til she snapped! Thanks for the correction. Though I like it better my way.;)

Reaction Score
This is a very good topic. Many points could be made -- here are some of mine:

1. Honestly, since 2007-2008 when UConn returned to the Final Four after a 3-year absence, it has typically won if and only if it had better talent than the opponent. When certain other teams had equal or greater talent, they have been able to beat UConn at least 50% of the time, in general. Examples of this are:

• Stanford with Wiggins, Appel, Peterson, and Nneka; or later with two Ogwumikes, Peterson, and Pohlen.
  • Notre Dame with Diggins, McBride, Achonwa, and a very good supporting cast.
  • Rutgers with Cappie Pondexter, Essence Carson, Matee Ajavon, and Kia Vaughan.
  • LSU with Fowles and Augustus.
  • Tennessee with Candace Parker and an excellent supporting cast.
  • Baylor with Griner and Sims.
So the explanation for most of UConn's recent victories is the same as for the Yankees of the Mantle / Maris / Whitey Ford era -- they have had the horses.

2. Further reinforcing this point is the fact that UConn has had a higher concentration of truly exceptional talent in recent years than any competitor. This is evident from the recent National team. Who else has had any recent concentration of superstars comparable to Tina Charles, Maya Moore, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, Breanna Stewart, and Moriah Jefferson in such a short period of time? If Geno had those people on his roster and didn't win multiple national championships, people would be asking whether his middle name is McCallie.

3. Nonetheless, it is fair to ask whether all that talent would have come to Storrs (hardly a marquee destination from a geographic standpoint) if UConn's coaches had not established a track record of maximizing the development of whatever talent they had to work with. On this point, what is notable is the achievement of lesser talents relative to what was expected of them coming out of high school. The accomplishments of people like Stef Dolson, Kelly Faris, Mel Thomas, Barbara Turner, Ketia Swanier (who never started at UConn but had about a 5-year career in the WNBA), Ashley Battle (ditto), Maria Conlon, Jessica Moore, Kalana Greene, and many others is more impressive than the achievements of the superstars. I'm sure it helped to convince the superstars that UConn would get the most out of their talents as well. Breanna Stewart was quoted as saying that the primary reason she chose UConn was because everyone told her that UConn developed the talents of its players more than any other program.

4. Previous posters who have emphasized the intensity of UConn's practices, and of expectations during games, are on the right track. The defensive success is mainly a reflection of this, as is the fitness of the athletes. However, this is not completely unique -- Pat Summitt in her prime got the same intensity out of her players and had similar levels of fitness and defensive success. Kim Mulkey appears to have her Baylor teams similarly prepared.

5. I'm not sure it's accurate to say that UConn runs the same offensive and defensive systems as other elite teams do -- many opposing coaches have said that is not the case. UConn players and teams do many things that other teams do, but do it better -- that statement has also been made. But they also run offensive schemes that are not widely used, some of which were seemingly hatched between Geno's ears. I suspect they may be things that he saw as a teenager on the playgrounds of Philadelphia, and learned how to teach -- things which many other coaches never saw because their experience was almost completely confined to organized environments.

6. That leads to the other thing that separates UConn from most programs -- Geno is able to teach the "brainy" side of basketball, i.e., to teach his players to make sound basketball decisions quickly and under pressure. Coach P mentioned once that she saw that as the difference between UConn and other talented teams -- UConn players made good basketball decisions in response to what opponents were doing more effectively than other teams. Again, this is not completely unique -- there are other brainy coaches like Tara, Muffitt, Jeff Walz, and even Harry Perretta, but either they haven't had the talent to compete with UConn or they weren't able to teach that decision-making to their players as effectively as the UConn coaches.

So I guess I am saying that no one else has mastered both (a) the ability to motivate high-intensity physical competitiveness; and (b) the ability to teach good basketball decision-making under game pressure -- at least not as well as Geno. And that has led to on-court success, which has led to recruiting success, which means he has the horses more often than anyone else. But others (especially Tara and Muffitt) have been almost as good when they have also had the horses.

Muffitt won her only championship after UCONN lost 2 AAs to knee injuries. And the injuries were late in the season. Does that make close to as good a coach as GA? GA has never lost a championship game in 9 tries! Dissecting that feat will go a long way to explaining why UCONN is unique.

Reaction Score
Absolutely right. I had it in my head that Diana poked and prodded Dales behind her 'til she snapped! Thanks for the correction. Though I like it better my way.;)
I kinda like it better your way too, and so does Wikipedia. But YouTube doesn't lie.

I also love the way Sherri didn't make any excuses: "We weren't good enough to beat UCONN today."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom