What separates No. 2 Mississippi State from No. 1 UConn in women's college basketball? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What separates No. 2 Mississippi State from No. 1 UConn in women's college basketball?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
In comparison of the two teams all of the strength of schedule and who played whom and how has beaten whom doesn't matter one bit. Both teams have difficult schedules and have come out unscathed so far.

The only way to compare the two teams is to compare the players. MSU is certainly a lot more than Vivians and McCowan. William can be a threat and Johnson is certainly a threat and even Shaefer can kill you from three point range if she is left open.

I don't see anyone stopping McCowan, other than Kalani Brown. Even Stevens with her height will be no match for McCowan in the paint as she is just so big, not just tall. Vivians is a true scorer who will be difficult for anyone to stop. I do think that Dangerfield can contain William.

But let me say, I have watched MSU play several times and they flat out get after it on defense. They pick you up right after the ball hits half court and they don't give you any breathing room at all.

Now, having said all of that, we all know what UCONN is capable of . I would never bet against UCONN, but if any team has a chance at beating UCONN this season, it is MSU.

Reaction Score
McCowen is a 59% FT shooter. 65 out of 110.

Still, stats. are tricky. Question is how is McCowen shooting FTs down the stretch? Maybe great, maybe not.

Same issue applies generally when comparing stats as b/t the teams. True, UConn has players with higher FG% as compared to MS. But it would be interesting to see how the numbers look when adjusted for games against taller teams? Not sure such a thing could be meaningfully determined. Sample size might be too small. But if you could look at, say, 8 games on the season where UConn played a team with a big interior defense, you might find that shooting percentages are much lower (fewer high % inside shots). Or maybe not.
\

My idea of a good fT shooter is two fold and either or---80 percent or better--or hits those shots when the chips are down (when you need them most) from what I've seen--she pretty good under pressure.
I rarely use STATS--only when I want bragging rights or when I want to lie about attributes. Kate Lou allows me to do both. You realize McGowan was last year and this--a project in the making--but a project that can hurt you.
\

Reaction Score
Crystal's improvement is not just confined to offense. I've been watching Crystal's defense over the past few weeks and she very much reminds me of a smaller, quicker version of Kia. Like Kia, Crystal is always aware of where everyone is on the floor. She's almost as good as Kia at fighting over the top of ball screens and like Kia, she almost never leaves her feet on a ball fake.

While she doesn't have Kia's size, her exceptional quickness gives her the ability to strip the ball from opposing point guards and poach passing lanes for errant passes.

So the answer to the question, "Who guards Morgan William?" is right in front of us. Crystal has all the skill and quickness required to defend William, with the added benefit that William is one of the few opposing pg's in the country where Crystal has a height advantage.

Dangerfields development has been exceptions largely due to Geno and she trying to learn the minute aspects of being a great PG. She is faster and I've seen her work to act quickly. Quick responders do it both physically and mentally. Coombs is wired for quick. Is she ready for prime time--not yet
Gabby isn't the fastest but I believe the quickest (other than MC). From a personal point of view--I would dearly love to see Danger "use and abuse" Itty Bitty William. Yet I think (nothing to verify this) that Morgan William experience and game knowledge gives her an edge, again should we meet, I'd be pleased to be wrong. Against Ms St I would expect KIA to be guarding Vivians for at least most of the first half.

Reaction Score
Great points by many of you throughout this thread. Here's my two cents:

In terms of current rankings, SOS and RPI settle this argument before it even got started. UConn is top dog.

Many of us are salivating for the rematch, which in all likelihood will be this year's championship game. Yes, Mississippi State is that good. But how well do they really stack up against UConn?

In the backcourt, it's no contest. In my opinion, we have the best backcourt in the country. And frankly, both of their starting guards are vastly overrated. William has not improved since last year, and Schaefer has hit only 40% of her threes.

More importantly, our guards will be ready to deal with the problems that cost us so dearly last year with respect to pace of game and their pass-denial defense. I'd expect to see Megan subbing in and out for Kia and Crystal as needed. We now have all the necessary boxes checked, and will do a much better job of creating off the dribble and one-on-one to counteract their tough defensive style.

In the front court, it's a lot closer. But while they have two exceptional players, we have four!

Last year, two of our four elite starters had very off nights, and because nobody was available to sub in for them, we scored a total of 60 points in regulation. 60 points! That's just not going to happen again. We're going to drop 80 on them, and the only question is will we be able to limit their scoring sufficient to win the game.

To win, the Huskies will need to stop Vivians' three and dribble penetration, and McCowan down low in the paint, while getting close to an even split of offensive and defensive boards. The least successful part of that may well be the rebounding, but even if so, it shouldn't be fatal.

I'd spot Mississippi State 70 against the best defense in the nation, and not one point more. It will be UConn by at least 10, and I can't wait for this game!

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Mississippi State has only three games left on the schedule with the probability of winning is less than 98%.

That's Texas A&M (home) at 94%, South Carolina (home) 86% and Missouri (away) at 83%.

Their expected number of losses is about 0.4 (from these three: .06+.14+.17=0.37

UConn's expected number of losses is lower, but that's because they are a better team.

If Mississippi State played UConn remaining three toughest opponents:

@South Carolina, Louisville, South florida

The win probabilities would be:

74%, 74%, 94%

Expected losses (approximately)
.26+.26+.06= .58.

In other words, despite the fact that Mississippi State plays in a stronger conference than UConn, the remaining schedule for UConn is tougher than MS States' remaining schedule.

Frankly, that surprised me, I thought it would be close, but didn't guess it would turn out to be tougher.
Doesn't the SEC have a year end tournament? Miss. St. will likely play two top teams in the semi finals and finals. Win or lose, I expect Miss. ST. to be more challenged than UConn will be in the AAC tournament.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Doesn't the SEC have a year end tournament? Miss. St. will likely play two top teams in the semi finals and finals. Win or lose, I expect Miss. ST. to be more challenged than UConn will be in the AAC tournament.

You did say "this time of year". My bad for thinking this meant regular season and not asking you to clarify.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I had no idea how big McCowan was till I saw the Tennessee game. She dwarfed Mercedes Russell. Yeah, they're about the same height, but McCowan is so much broader in the shoulder. Russell is not a waifish 6-6 either.

And, Lordy, how McCowan's footwork has improved. She was a big player with a lot of potential last year; now she's a really good big player.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I had no idea how big McCowan was till I saw the Tennessee game. She dwarfed Mercedes Russell. Yeah, they're about the same height, but McCowan is so much broader in the shoulder. Russell is not a waifish 6-6 either.

And, Lordy, how McCowan's footwork has improved. She was a big player with a lot of potential last year; now she's a really good big player.

McCowan is a load in the paint. I am glad that Baylor has two big post players because having just one would be a tough row to hoe. McCowan vs Kalani Brown would come down to which one gets into foul trouble first. Once one of them goes out the other will dominate the game.

Reaction Score
What separates UCONN and MSU from Baylor? I no longer think this is a two dog horse race. There is a bear growling right around the corner.
I agree. I think UConn, MSU, and Baylor are about equal. Watching all three teams play I don't see how anyone thinks there is a favorite to win it all this year. Seeing Baylor and MSU with their skilled bigs makes me miss the days we had players like that. Been a few years since we had one of those players that could own the low post like Stewie, Kiah, or Stef. Stewie and Kiah were shot blockers, and Stef was a big body that took up space.

Reaction Score
I agree. I think UConn, MSU, and Baylor are about equal. Watching all three teams play I don't see how anyone thinks there is a favorite to win it all this year. Seeing Baylor and MSU with their skilled bigs makes me miss the days we had players like that. Been a few years since we had one of those players that could own the low post like Stewie, Kiah, or Stef. Stewie and Kiah were shot blockers, and Stef was a big body that took up space.
Had one in Natalie. Sure would be nice to have her now.

Reaction Score
I will give the advantage to uconn’s backcourt and msst’s front court.
Uconn’s backcourt has improved from last year’s version and msst’s Williams will definitely be deprived of the last shot previledge should it comes down to one possession game. However, msst’s center is definitely improved a great deal and enlarged while uconn’s Williams is not jumping any higher this year. So unless McCowan is in foul trouble, it will be long day for UConn or short day(there will be no OT!) depending upon how you view it. Of course, important players from either team can have an off night, let’s hope it will not be any player from UConn.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I will give the advantage to uconn’s backcourt and msst’s front court.
Uconn’s backcourt has improved from last year’s version and msst’s Williams will definitely be deprived of the last shot previledge should it comes down to one possession game. However, msst’s center is definitely improved a great deal and enlarged while uconn’s Williams is not jumping any higher this year. So unless McCowan is in foul trouble, it will be long day for UConn or short day(there will be no OT!) depending upon how you view it. Of course, important players from either team can have an off night, let’s hope it will not be any player from UConn.

Im amazed that anyone could have watched that game tonight and give anyone other than the Baylor frontcourt the advantage. Baylor has a McCowan, plus a Cox. I don’t see how MSU tops that.

Reaction Score
Im amazed that anyone could have watched that game tonight and give anyone other than the Baylor frontcourt the advantage. Baylor has a McCowan, plus a Cox. I don’t see how MSU tops that.
Nobody is discounting baylor’s front court here. But this thread is on the separation btwn UConn and msst, Baylor is not part of the discussion here.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nobody is discounting baylor’s front court here. But this thread is on the separation btwn UConn and msst, Baylor is not part of the discussion here.

It will be.

Reaction Score
MSST is hungrier than UConn. Schaeffer certainly hungers more for a championship than Geno.
The same goes for Baylor. These two teams have prevented me from counting that chicken before it is hatched.
I stopped talking about Lauren Cox not being able to hoist a championship banner before the season started.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of the reasons I believe it’s important for UConn to beat SC next week is that it will likely result in the Huskies being the #1 overall seed, as I think UConn will also handle a Louisville team, that has come back to earth, at Gampel on 2/22.

Assuming that MS St wins the SEC over SC, and Baylor wins the Big12 over TX, ending up the 2 & 3 overall seeds, that would mean that the Huskies could face only one of the two teams, assuming they and UConn both get to the National final, and as everyone knows, Geno and the Huskies don’t lose in the National Championship game

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
If the two teams were to meet up again this year mission number 1 for UCONN is to make Morgan William uncomfortable.
William was not defended on 1 single possession until after she had crossed half court in the FF game. Even more so than last year the MSU is heavily dependent on Willian in the half court sets. Molly Bent or Mikayla Coombs must emerge as an adequate on ball defender that is capable of 10 quality minutes of defense per game. Kia Nurse will have her hands filled with Vivians and Crystal is getting there but she will eventually need a break. Only Gabby among the starters is capable of this on ball defense but she will be needed to help out with the post defense.

I've said before I wanted to see Geno put Gabby on Itty Bitty during last year's game. That would've made her really uncomfortable.

But that would've meant more run for Butler....but even a few minutes of rest for a guard and taking them out of their rhythm might've helped.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
One of the reasons I believe it’s important for UConn to beat SC next week is that it will likely result in the Huskies being the #1 overall seed, as I think UConn will also handle a Louisville team, that has come back to earth, at Gampel on 2/22.

Assuming that MS St wins the SEC over SC, and Baylor wins the Big12 over TX, ending up the 2 & 3 overall seeds, that would mean that the Huskies could face only one of the two teams, assuming they and UConn both get to the National final, and as everyone knows, Geno and the Huskies don’t lose in the National Championship game
Agreed. But who will be #4? I am guessing that it might be SC or ND which means a team #1 has met in the regular season. Would the NCAA do that? (I know this is not part of the OP,but...)

Reaction Score
Bingo. In 2018, MSU's highest recruits are ranked 48,49, and 54. In 2017, they got 1 top 100 Kid who was rated #50. In 2016, no kids in the top 100 - only 1 3-star recruit. In 2015, it was only McCowan. 2 other recruits were 3-star.

So once this quartet of starters leaves, MSU is stuck with McCowan, and that's about it. IMHO they will be one of the lesser teams in the SEC unless they land some kind of transfers, or unless several of the kids recruited are much better than their rankings... IMHO it would be like UCONN having only Azura Stevens, then a bunch of kids like Irwin, Bent, Gordon, Ekmark, Engeln, Gardler, etc. We've all seen how well our subs do against other teams' starters in the 4th quarter (altho they have gotten MUCH better in the past 2-3 weeks). But my point is, MSU won't be good next year unless I'm missing something...
I would suggest that you are missing the coaching- I thought the game plan by Mississippi State in the semifinal was brilliant, and SchaEfer isn’t going anywhere. Consider the 1991 Huskies- where were those players ranked? And through the early 90’s- with the exception of Lobo, CT players weren’t highly ranked. And yet, they won consistently. I still believe a cheap shot by Tonya Sampson of NC against Risotti that causing her to sit out a while changed the outcome of that game- CT was good enough to win that year. So it comes down to coaching. Obviously it helps getting the quality players Geno recruits, but the ability to read a recruit for their future value and the ability to draw out a player’s best is one of Coach Auriemma’s finest qualities. I respect Schaefer a lot- he also knew how to use that 60 point loss as a major motivation, and we failed to see that coming. That’s why they play the games.

Reaction Score
Agreed. But who will be #4? I am guessing that it might be SC or ND which means a team #1 has met in the regular season. Would the NCAA do that? (I know this is not part of the OP,but...)
They put UConn / ND in semifinal quite a few times ...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom