What ramifications would a missed '20-'21 season have on UConn basketball? | The Boneyard

What ramifications would a missed '20-'21 season have on UConn basketball?

Reaction Score
The one big question that jumps out at me in this scenario is: What do we do with a roster of at least 12 healthy guys expecting playing time?

Interested in the 'Yard's thoughts on this or any other question which would arise should there be no college basketball season due to Covid-19.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The same impact as it would have on 320+ other schools, I would imagine.

If you don’t have a season, you don’t do anything with 12 healthy guys expecting playing time. I guess you just hope they don’t use their athletic ability to become pirates or bank robbers.

Not really sure what the question is.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

If you don’t have a season, you don’t do anything with 12 healthy guys expecting playing time. I guess you just hope they don’t use their athletic ability to become pirates or bank robbers.

My guess is more things like will Bouk just declare and we’d only get one year out of him?

And overall thing would be the potentially massive grad transfer pool if everyone is given an extra year like baseball.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My guess is more things like will Bouk just declare and we’d only get one year out of him?
My guess is we'll get two. I actually thought we had a shot at three and his junior year would be something special with a Soph Andre Jackson and a health Akok back in the line up. It would also have firmed up post play as well with both Richie Spring and Javonte Brown-Ferguson both having a year's experience under their belts.

There is a tendency to overrate the future and players development but I really like the potential of that team. I'm assuming that there is no basketball this season so everything is on hold. I think we get at least one more season out of Bouk regardless.

Reaction Score

I'm talking about the following season, genius.

Reaction Score
12 guys expecting playing time during the season is not out of the ordinary, so it wouldn’t really be any different than any other season.

But that assumes that everyone on the 20-21 team would be back for 21-22 and I’m not so sure they all return.

Reaction Score

And overall thing would be the potentially massive grad transfer pool if everyone is given an extra year like baseball.
I would think everyone would have to get an extra year, right? I mean, it wouldn't even technically be "extra." How can you take a year of eligibility when a season doesn't happen?

Reaction Score
They would probably jump to other schools that are having a 20-21 season. Why would they stay at a school that isn't playing?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If colleges open up, they will play. The question is whether they allow fans.

As for UConn, no different than all the other schools.

Reaction Score
Is everyone trolling me, or did I do a poor job of formulating my question? Let me try to clarify:

If there are no NCAA men's basketball games held during what would have otherwise been the 2020-2021 season, but play is resumed for the 2021-2022 season, what will our roster look like?

A few reasons I find the discussion interesting:
-Polley and Akok will (hopefully) be fully healthy
-Bouknight's status
-Some players may have graduated by then (Adams, Carlton, Squirrel). What do they do?

Reaction Score
Is everyone trolling me, or did I do a poor job of formulating my question? Let me try to clarify:

If there are no NCAA men's basketball games held during what would have otherwise been the 2020-2021 season, but play is resumed for the 2021-2022 season, what will our roster look like?

A few reasons I find the discussion interesting:
-Polley and Akok will (hopefully) be fully healthy
-Bouknight's status
-Some players may have graduated by then (Adams, Carlton, Squirrel). What do they do?

It's the same question that every other program will have, and every program in NCAA spring sports has now, and every program in every NCAA fall sport will have if there isn't a fall season. We all get it. It's just most don't think it's worth worrying about at this point. Way too many questions about how an extra year of eligibility would effect rosters for most of us to waste bandwidth on.

Reaction Score
I would think everyone would have to get an extra year, right? I mean, it wouldn't even technically be "extra." How can you take a year of eligibility when a season doesn't happen?
Sort of like a redshirt year for everyone. Makes sense to me.

Reaction Score
Even though I think one is crazy if he or she thinks the next season is likely to happen, I don't care one way or the other what one's opinion is in that regard. Furthermore, I might be (and I hope I am) completely off-base, and maybe I'm the crazy one. What I don't get is the snark being directed at me for posing the questions, but it's ok.

Back to the topic at hand, it would be really sweet to get a "free" redshirt year for Javonte. Imagine if he was able to come into game 1 with a year of Dan and Sal under his belt while still having 4 more years of eligibility.

Reaction Score
Even though I think one is crazy if he or she thinks the next season is likely to happen, I don't care one way or the other what one's opinion is in that regard. Furthermore, I might be (and I hope I am) completely off-base, and maybe I'm the crazy one. What I don't get is the snark being directed at me for posing the questions, but it's ok.

Back to the topic at hand, it would be really sweet to get a "free" redshirt year for Javonte. Imagine if he was able to come into game 1 with a year of Dan and Sal under his belt while still having 4 more years of eligibility.
You just said you think people are crazy who disagree with you on this and you don't care about their opinions in that regard. And you're wondering why people are being snarky towards you?

Reaction Score
You just said you think people are crazy who disagree with you on this and you don't care about their opinions in that regard. And you're wondering why people are being snarky towards you?
What I mean is that I strongly disagree but don't take it personally. That's not so offensive. More importantly, prior to the post to which you referred, I certainly didn't say anything remotely combative at all, but the snark was already in full affect.

Anyway, this whole thing is making me seem Not Mad when I'm actually just not mad. I'll leave it alone.

Reaction Score
Dude don’t even go there. The focus should be on the present and not the future, there’s no need for these black and white decisions or statements. When people make statements like this their using it as a power trip, it’s not helpful it just gets people stressed out and gets you stressed out as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dude don’t even go there. The focus should be on the present and not the future, there’s no need for these black and white decisions or statements. When people make statements like this their using it as a power trip, it’s not helpful it just gets people stressed out and gets you stressed out as well.
Are you responding to me? If so, I don't even know what you're talking about.

My use of the word "would" in the title pretty much precludes my post from being a "black and white decision or statement."

As to the power trip accusation, I really can't figure that one out. I was just interested in discussing what might happen in this scenario. Sorry for wielding my might so irresponsibly.

Reaction Score
Are you responding to me? If so, I don't even know what you're talking about.

My use of the word "would" in the title pretty much precludes my post from being a "black and white decision or statement."

As to the power trip accusation, I really can't figure that one out. I was just interested in discussing what might happen in this scenario. Sorry for wielding my might so irresponsibly.

I’m saying in general not saying you specifically. I think it’s all a wait and see as with everything else. Honestly I don’t care to discuss it because I try to stay positive at this time but that’s just me.

Reaction Score
I love college sports. Much rather watch college football or basketball or hockey than the pro version any day. That said, I wonder if shutting college sports down for a year might not be beneficial. Force UConn and every other D1 program to really look at the situation and recalibrate what their doing. Let’s be honest. College basketball is a cesspool. There are programs that bribing players and nothing happens. The one and done system makes a mockery of the college part of college basketball. The whole P5 system is unfair. Everything from scheduling games at crazy hours, and remember when college hoop started the weekend AFTER Thanksgiving, To league tournaments that make the regular season a meaningless joke and are designed as nothing more than a money grab in any case, to requiring 16 seeds to play each other in a play in game while mediocre “major” programs get a pass into the first round of the tournament. Football games starting at 8-9 pm in November on Wednesday in the northeast...maybe stepping away for a year let’s everyone take a look at what has been happening and figure out a way forward that is more logical. Doubtful, I know. But if their was ever a time this might be it.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
We’ve been preparing for this season for over 2 years. We simply can not miss this season.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I think Bouk declares for the draft next year whether there's a season or not unfortunately. You're considered a dinosaur at 30 years old in pro sports these days so players need to maximize their time to get paid. Teams draft on potential more than ever now so barring injury, I could see him as a first rounder.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom