What Options Should The NCAA Consider If They Feel The Need To Make Any Changes To This Year's Tourneys? | The Boneyard

What Options Should The NCAA Consider If They Feel The Need To Make Any Changes To This Year's Tourneys?

Reaction Score
Things are changing by the day, if not the hour. I'm certainly not an alarmist, but I do like to think of myself as a realist. Aside from the tradition and financial issues, which are major to be sure, there are also potentially life or death issues. Even if the NCAA doesn't outright cancel the tournaments, do you think some schools will elect to skip this year's tournaments. Grammar schools to Graduate schools around the country are already cancelling academic and sporting events...and on-campus classes. The first two rounds of the NCAA Division III tournament in Maryland were already played without spectators. There have been a plethora of major cancellations around the world. Not all are sports related. Entertainment, business, marketing, and on and on have not been spared. And it's going to get worse before it gets better.

At this time and date my option would be that all games will be played, but without spectators. Further, any school that backs out will not be penalized in any way. A default win to the opponent of the absent team. But then what about a scheduled game where both teams have elected to skip? Sadly, I think this is going to be a mess. Hope I'm wrong. I don't even want to think of the potential of an infection break-out having originated at one of the tournament venues.

Also, if a complete tournament cancellation comes to pass this year...then what?

Ideas...sans smart a** commnets?

Last edited:

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
At the rate the virus is spreading and the level of panic/concern in many states, we may see the Tourney cancelled or the games played mostly in empty gyms.

County regulations that were just announced will probably prevent Stanford from hosting. There are 15 other first round sites and I think its likely that the state of emergencies and local/state health officials will have a say on what is allowed. And this is moving so fast that just trying to move sites probably won't work.

ESPN needs to step up. They will be televising every game of the womens tourney and could do it even if the gyms were empty. They could make the whole tourney like the NIT using available sites -- higher seed is the home team. They should be working on this right now. The men's tourney could be handled the same way by the broadcast networks.

Sure, it will be a shame for seniors on good teams to be denied the chance to compete for a championship. And for fans to miss seeing their favorite players perform. But, jeez, saving lives has got to take precedence.

Play the games for a TV audience only. And start making the arrangements today. That's my advice.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Empty gyms is my vote if it goes through. Much rather have that than no tournament but I could see them cancelling the tournament altogether at this rate.

Reaction Score
Tracking How Coronavirus Is Affecting Sports
CHRIS CHAVEZ
UPDATED:MAR 10, 2020

As the coronavirus spreads globally, the sports world is taking notice.

A number of events have been canceled or postponed, while several others have taken place in empty stadiums, to avoid the risk of the infection spreading among a large crowd. Teams, leagues and governing bodies are planning for the possibility that the virus will continue spreading in the coming months.

The extent to which the virus will disrupt major sporting events, including the Olympics—scheduled to begin in Tokyo in July—remains unclear. But here's a look at how teams, leagues and governing bodies have responded so far to the public health crisis.

The Olympics

More than 10,000...

Link To Sports Illustrated Article

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
On a serious note, cancel the tournament. This is about Collegiate Athletics and the students, alumni and their fans are more important to the game and tournament than ESPN, CBS and Turner Broadcasting.
Crown SC as NC, obviously with an *.
I don't think that anyone disagrees at this point that they are the best team.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
You guys might want to check, I think your youth an immaturity are showing.

Wow, somebody wants a thread with no sarcasm or levity. Hmm.

And to be honest, in the big scheme of things, what anyone here on the BY thinks about this situation really doesn't mean a thing or will make a difference. It's just someone's opinion and you know what the old saying is...

Reaction Score
...Crown SC as NC, obviously with an *. I don't think that anyone disagrees at this point that they are the best team.
I considered that as well, and that would certainly be better than any potential downside, BUT, I think that at least the remaining #1 seeds, and the #2 and #3 seeds wouldn't be quite satisfied with that. They might rather see a full cancellation. I don't know the numbers, but I'd bet that the overall #1 seed in all NCAA BB tournaments has not always end up as the national champion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tracking How Coronavirus Is Affecting Sports
CHRIS CHAVEZ
UPDATED:MAR 10, 2020

As the coronavirus spreads globally, the sports world is taking notice.

A number of events have been canceled or postponed, while several others have taken place in empty stadiums, to avoid the risk of the infection spreading among a large crowd. Teams, leagues and governing bodies are planning for the possibility that the virus will continue spreading in the coming months.

The extent to which the virus will disrupt major sporting events, including the Olympics—scheduled to begin in Tokyo in July—remains unclear. But here's a look at how teams, leagues and governing bodies have responded so far to the public health crisis.

The Olympics

More than 10,000...

Link To Sports Illustrated Article
As SI posted this article there were only 200 coronavirus cases in USA. As today we have 805 cases. and 28 deaths.

The virus spreads very fast. Look how Italy (10149 cases) and Iran (8042 cases) have today because they didn't take action fast at the beginning. It is still not late for USA to take proper actions now.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I considered that as well, and that would certainly be better than any potential downside, BUT, I think that at least the remaining #1 seeds, and the #2 and #3 seeds wouldn't be quite satisfied with that. They might rather see a full cancellation.

Y
On a serious note, cancel the tournament. This is about Collegiate Athletics and the students, alumni and their fans are more important to the game and tournament than ESPN, CBS and Turner Broadcasting.

I'd strongly disagree. Oregon is playing better than anyone right now and is the favorite head to head even though SC will get the #1 overall. They wont anoint a champion without games played.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Just had a physical. My doc says that air travel is probably a bad idea, but certainly for anyone in a high risk category. He emphasized the hand washing. He is kind of average conservative in his advice.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Let's think about this a different way. What if a "team" comes down with COVID-19 (I would assume that if one team member got it, that most of the team would too at some point, as they are all practicing, etc., together daily). Do you think the tournament should be cancelled if this virus affects a team (UConn, Oregon, Baylor, Maryland, etc)?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
No one should be declared the National Champion if there is no NCAA Tournament. Even the best teams in the nation lose in the tourney, UConn is a good example of that.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
No one should be declared the National Champion if there is no NCAA Tournament. Even the best teams in the nation lose in the tourney, UConn is a good example of that.
Besides, it's by no means clear that SC is in fact the best team. Oregon has been more impressive in the past six weeks against MUCH tougher competition.

Reaction Score
One thought if it becomes apparent that things are going to get worse for several weeks with resulting bans on gatherings: At least for WCBB have an abbreviated tourney with no in-person spectators. Basically skip right to the top 8, or, if really pressed, just the top 4 teams. One site, all attendees medically cleared and checked daily.

Reaction Score
How about playing the first two rounds without spectators (some sites have such weak attendance it wouldn't be that big a deal), then the regionals and final four with attendance limited to people who have been tested and cleared (still likely to be a small number).

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I considered that as well, and that would certainly be better than any potential downside, BUT, I think that at least the remaining #1 seeds, and the #2 and #3 seeds wouldn't be quite satisfied with that. They might rather see a full cancellation. I don't know the numbers, but I'd bet that the overall #1 seed in all NCAA BB tournaments has not always end up as the national champion.
I was basing my choice on rewarding SC because they have been No. 1 in all the major polls for a while now, and apparently are going to be the Committee's Overall No. 1 seed. In an * year, that is good enough for me.
But if they do anoint a NC, of course other schools are going to disagree, it's human nature.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I am just voicing my opinion, nothing less, nothing more. And I realize that in the real world, it means squat.

Reaction Score
Besides, it's by no means clear that SC is in fact the best team. Oregon has been more impressive in the past six weeks against MUCH tougher competition.

Right. Seeding is based on the entire season but the actual play favors the team playing the best right now. Two different things.

Reaction Score
Best advice to NCAA - turn off the 24/7 news and social media and use your head. This is panic caused on purpose by media. Four (4) people in Connecticut get it and there is a travel ban. 4!!! .0001% of population of about 4 million. Less dangerous than the normal flu (20000 deaths). Come on folks get a grip!

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Y

I'd strongly disagree. Oregon is playing better than anyone right now and is the favorite head to head even though SC will get the #1 overall. They wont anoint a champion without games played.
And your opinion is fine. I was basing my choice on rewarding SC because they have been No. 1 in all the major polls for a while now, including this week after all the major conference tournaments and apparently are going to be the Committee's Overall No. 1 seed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom