What! No morality at Puke? We shoulda known. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What! No morality at Puke? We shoulda known.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Hey, Canseco was the most honest man in baseball, why not Gilby?

Everybody else is trying to hide stuff for various and sundry reasons, whereas these guys JDGAF.

(as an aside, Rodman gives Gilby a pretty solid run at 'most insane NBA player'.)

Canseco just snitching because he finished.

Reaction Score
I hate Duke. No, I despise Duke. But there has to be some corroboration or this piece cannot be printed and obviously there was none because it would be the lead story on SportCenter and every other news outlet.
No, we can speculate. Some people say they its true.

Reaction Score
200k in cash is just the tip of the iceberg. That would only cover the rent on Zion’s family McMansion in Durham.

Coach K had it with Cal getting all the top players and got in the game. Duke has been cheating for years in a dim light. Coach K turned on the high beams the last 4-5 years. You can cheat all you want as long as you know no one is going to try and catch you.

Reaction Score
Hey, Canseco was the most honest man in baseball, why not Gilby?

Everybody else is trying to hide stuff for various and sundry reasons, whereas these guys JDGAF.

(as an aside, Rodman gives Gilby a pretty solid run at 'most insane NBA player'.)
Not to derail the thread, but Latrell Sprewell ranks up there as well.

Reaction Score
The schools that do this well have layers of deniability. They don’t pay directly, rather the sneaker companies or other third parties pay. The payer pays someone, who has a relationship with the player. Chief has seen it all and it’s a tangled web.
This HAS to be true. Because it is absolutely happening. And schools are definitely getting away with it. Give credit to Calipari, he had to have figured this out better than anyone. It is pretty much a well known fact that Zion was offered $100k st Kansas. Would his exposure really have been that much different there than Dook?? I think not. He got paid. He absolutely got paid.

Reaction Score
This HAS to be true. Because it is absolutely happening. And schools are definitely getting away with it. Give credit to Calipari, he had to have figured this out better than anyone. It is pretty much a well known fact that Zion was offered $100k st Kansas. Would his exposure really have been that much different there than Dook?? I think not. He got paid. He absolutely got paid.
This 100%. I have a friend whose son plays on one of the elite programs out west. He says you should hear how freely the kids talk about it. Each school has a price tag attached to it and the kids know it. Word is UCLA's is more than Kansas but less than Duke.

Reaction Score
This 100%. I have a friend whose son plays on one of the elite programs out west. He says you should hear how freely the kids talk about it. Each school has a price tag attached to it and the kids know it. Word is UCLA's is more than Kansas but less than Duke.
None of this is surprising to anyone that had their eyes open. What is surprising is how many people believed that kids were choosing schools based on weather or rabid fans or girls or history or exposure or any other BS reason they came up with to justify what was obvious. No, not every kid that turned down UConn did so for cash. But it was obvious for the ones that did. Stone? Diallo? Cockburn? Precious? And many more.

C

Chief00

The worse thing about the KO train-wreck is that it made us uncompetitive. Not because we had a losing record but because we can’t compete on a level playing field recruiting wise.
Dudes wonder why we did not make TC’s list - being from Roxbury etc. He talked opening about dreaming he was Rondo passing to Trey34 . Do you think Ray is going to have an incidental conversation with a recruit now when he just happens to be in Storrs when a recruit visits? Of course not. If we can’t do that or the money thing - how do we compete?

Reaction Score
If it is happening it’s going be a scenario where Duke and K have complete deniability with others making payments for others who get it from companies. On top of that payments can go to parents, cousins and relatives. I can’t get excited until I see a smoking gun. Madness is worth multi millions in advertising. Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina and Kansas have been basically signing up top 10 players on a yearly basis forever which means this whole March Madness thing is fixed not like point shaving but virtually guaranteeing that some of the big boys are in it every year.

C

Chief00

If it is happening it’s going be a scenario where Duke and K have complete deniability with others making payments for others who get it from companies. On top of that payments can go to parents, cousins and relatives. I can’t get excited until I see a smoking gun. Madness is worth multi millions in advertising. Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina and Kansas have been basically signing up top 10 players on a yearly basis forever which means this whole March Madness thing is fixed not like point shaving but virtually guaranteeing that some of the big boys are in it every year.
Since the smart ones do it the way (with deniability) on a routine basis - that smoking gun you are wasting your time looking for will only be found at the dumb run programs.

Reaction Score
Since the smart ones do it the way (with deniability) on a routine basis - that smoking gun you are wasting your time looking for will only be found at the dumb run programs.
Even Capone was nailed, eventually.

Reaction Score
Cal has sharpened his "recruiting skills" a lot more than his coaching since he left UMass. He was a better coach then but since Camby's mess he's pushed though a lot of dollars I'm sure and is not on the radar.

Reaction Score
I think all high level successful programs cheat with the exception of UConn. We do things right here. ;)

Reaction Score
Duke is really hurting from this. They just landed their 3rd 5 star for 20’. Pay them, don’t pay them, it doesn’t slow them down. 4 stars probably have to take numbers like at the deli counter. What do we need to offer to get a 3 star backup center to come to Storrs?

Reaction Score
I think all high level successful programs cheat with the exception of UConn. We do things right here. ;)
What's the winky face for? You really think we do what Duke and the others do?

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The worse thing about the KO train-wreck is that it made us uncompetitive. Not because we had a losing record but because we can’t compete on a level playing field recruiting wise.
Dudes wonder why we did not make TC’s list - being from Roxbury etc. He talked opening about dreaming he was Rondo passing to Trey34 . Do you think Ray is going to have an incidental conversation with a recruit now when he just happens to be in Storrs when a recruit visits? Of course not. If we can’t do that or the money thing - how do we compete?
No matter who was coaching the AAC situation throws anyone into a recruitment dark hole-unless you are named Penney and you coach at a school with an academic equivalent of a hillbilly junior high

C

Chief00

No matter who was coaching the AAC situation throws anyone into a recruitment dark hole-unless you are named Penney and you coach at a school with an academic equivalent of a hillbilly junior high
Some have argued Community College academic level?

Reaction Score

Yes, if coach k knows the details of the payments then somebody really messed up. His job is not to know the details.

Reaction Score
They employ and buy houses for players and their families.
We can criticize that but only if none of our player’s families came here and were given jobs by program supporters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom