What is UConn getting w/ Saniya Chong....Geno and Shea know.. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What is UConn getting w/ Saniya Chong....Geno and Shea know..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Did any of those previous winners have good college careers?

Just askin' !

OC

OC is becoming as funny as he is astute.

I see 6 players who were multiple-time AAs, including a consensus 4-time AA, 3 players who were Collegiate NPOYs, and 4 who won 2 NCAA titles each. And 1 who has a gazillion Twitter followers.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Oh, these 1-player classes never work out. How did the last one turn out? What? She started in over 100 straight games, won 51 in a row, finished near the top of the NCAA list in games played, won 2 national championships, became the hardest working player in America and one of the most beloved Huskies of all time, and was drafted by the WNBA in the first round? Never mind. :)

Reaction Score
rocky rococo, No one, including Geno, ever "knows" what they're getting in advance, but she certainly seems promising, which on a team as short-handed as this year's will be very important.

rocky.....not sure I follow your comment....What Geno and Shea "know" is that Saniya is "fast, can handle the ball, is a great passer, can shoot from way out, is more athletic than Shea, gets to the free throw line and scores points in a lot of ways...". Geno obviously really likes her and Shea thinks she will fit the system.... This is all stuff they should know, right?

Nobody is predicting her starting day 1, leading the team in scoring, or being All-American as a freshman. Still, IMO Geno "knows" he got a special talent that many missed.....Go Huskies..

David, the point I'm making is that whee you use the word "know" I would use the word "think". Now Geno's guesses and assumptions are no doubt far better than mine. But the proof that it's guesses and assumptions is that Geno's had his busts along the way, too, players that didn't pan out as hoped or expected. o one ever "known" what they have until its an established fact, and there are no established facts about Saniya as a college ballplayer at the rarefied, top UConn level. I'm not so much disagreeing with you as simply adding another layer of caution in projection.

Reaction Score
I think Chong was unnoticed, but I don't think that is the case any more. If Geno likes her, that should certainly be enough for anyone. Nonetheless, there always seems to be the desire to rank players with their peers. In Chong's case, I don't think that will really be possible until she has played a year of basketball at the college level. She will be thrown right into the maelstrom, and will be expected to perform at the highest level. Because of the short rotation, she will likely see plenty of playing time. I for one cannot wait to see her play.

Reaction Score
I'm more interested in actual performance then rankings. Chong might have been ranked 75th, but a lot of people are going to find out just how good she is when the season starts.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well to be fair to Hoopgurlz, we realize now that it was dying and I don't believe they ever did a late update of that class.

It will be interesting to see how good she really is. :)

Reaction Score
With only nine players and four guards Saniya will get her minutes. As everyone found out last year injuries happen. You want everyone to be able to contribute, which is why she will play. As the season goes on Saniya will get more and more minutes so that she will be ready for the tournament. Also, who cares about rankings? There have been great players who were overlooked and supposed stars who tanked. Saniya will be an all-time great Husky.

Reaction Score
Yea, but I don't think they ever updated their list.

Actually I don't think she was even in their top 100 until last summer's revision. But I don't understand why it's relevant now? She got several offers from elite teams despite it. I'd say wait till she wows everyone and then ask Hanson at Pros Nat. & Clay over at Fullcourt about their astute assessments. Who knows, they could be right. ;)

My opinion is that most players only get a minute (if that) of the rater's time and unless their parents are shelling out to one of the AAU businesses that pose as teams today then they better walk on water in that minute.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Thanks David! I see Saniya getting some playing time but not a lot. I think she will do very well for a UCONN freshman. She has no pressure to perform right away. She will have the luxury of learning from our great coaching staff and playing with Bria & Mo.
Actually Kevin- I see her getting alot of playing time- especially in our conference games. He likes getting the talented freshman into the fold. He won't need to - but he will. We didn't win some National Championships because of our injuries/ lack of depth. Now that Geno has some depth, I think he'll cultivate it if she shows the fire and desire!
Sat with Saniya at regionals and her mom- she was super nice and personable- like most of our gems are!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom