What is UConn getting w/ Saniya Chong....Geno and Shea know.. | The Boneyard

What is UConn getting w/ Saniya Chong....Geno and Shea know..

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Saniya Chong will be the lone recruit in UConn's class of 2013. It may sound like UConn struck out this year in the recruiting war, after bringing in last year's bumper crop of freshmen with Stewie, Tuck and MoJeff. After all, Stewie was Player of the Year in High School, MoJeff was rated #2 and Tuck was #6. Although only freshmen, all three saw significant playing time and had critical roles in UConn winning yet another National Championship.

So what does UConn get with their only new player? On paper, UConn gets a 5'9" guard to go along with Hartley, Banks and Jefferson. None of the ratings services had her ranked very high, with Hoopsgurlz listing her at #75. She was not a McDonald's All-American and didn't play AAU ball or for one of the nationally recognized high schools that produce top 5 prospects every year.

But she was a good high school player, right? She was better than good, averaging 34.4 points per game her senior year. And 9.1 assists, six rebounds and 5 steals per game. Last year, in 27 games Chong made 108 three-pointers. She also shot 87% from the free throw line. For her four year career, she scored 2,988 total points, including at least 30 points in 51 of her 96 games. She can score.

What does Shea Ralph think? According to Shea, "She's going to be great in our system. She is a little bigger than most people think. She is very comfortable with the ball in her hands. She's a great passer. And she can shoot it from 30 feet out. I remember we took Geno to a game and she made eight 3's in a row....right in front of him." When asked to compare Chong to herself, Shea said, "She is more athletic than I was. She's a better shooter than I was. She's a point guard, who also scores, a "scoring one". Like Shea, but better? Sweet.

What does Geno think? "She is fast, she can handle the ball. She's a tough kid. And she scores. And she likes to pass the ball, which is unusual for a kid who scores that many points. She reminds me of Shea, except that she can shoot from the perimeter better, she scores points in lots of ways. She gets to the free throw line a lot. I just like her." He should know.

When asked about playing at UConn, Chong said, "I will do anything to help the team win. Being a team is the #1 priority for me." Great attitude. One more thing. The last time UConn brought in just one recruit, it was a girl named Kelly Faris.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Saniya Chong will be the lone recruit in UConn's class of 2013. It may sound like UConn struck out this year in the recruiting war, after bringing in last year's bumper crop of freshmen with Stewie, Tuck and MoJeff. After all, Stewie was Player of the Year in High School, MoJeff was rated #2 and Tuck was #6. Although only freshmen, all three saw significant playing time and had critical roles in UConn winning yet another National Championship.

So what does UConn get with their only new player? On paper, UConn gets a 5'9" guard to go along with Hartley, Banks and Jefferson. None of the ratings services had her ranked very high, with Hoopsgurlz listing her at #75. She was not a McDonald's All-American and didn't play AAU ball or for one of the nationally recognized high schools that produce top 5 prospects every year.

But she was a good high school player, right? She was better than good, averaging 34.4 points per game her senior year. And 9.1 assists, six rebounds and 5 steals per game. Last year, in 27 games Chong made 108 three-pointers. She also shot 87% from the free throw line. For her four year career, she scored 2,988 total points, including at least 30 points in 51 of her 96 games. She can score.

What does Shea Ralph think? According to Shea, "She's going to be great in our system. She is a little bigger than most people think. She is very comfortable with the ball in her hands. She's a great passer. And she can shoot it from 30 feet out. I remember we took Geno to a game and she made eight 3's in a row....right in front of him." When asked to compare Chong to herself, Shea said, "She is more athletic than I was. She's a better shooter than I was. She's a point guard, who also scores, a "scoring one". Like Shea, but better? Sweet.

What does Geno think? "She is fast, she can handle the ball. She's a tough kid. And she scores. And she likes to pass the ball, which is unusual for a kid who scores that many points. She reminds me of Shea, except that she can shoot from the perimeter better, she scores points in lots of ways. She gets to the free throw line a lot. I just like her." He should know.

When asked about playing at UConn, Chong said, "I will do anything to help the team win. Being a team is the #1 priority for me." Great attitude. One more thing. The last time UConn brought in just one recruit, it was a girl named Kelly Faris.

David...what a fine addition you are to The Boneyard...thanks for your numerous well thought posts.

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score
Ozzie....thank you..!! I'm having fun and so delighted to have discovered such a great group who feel as I do about UConn...Go Huskies..!!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
David, she just won the HS coaches player of the year and earlier won the Parade HS player of the year so I say we should forget about the rankings and understand that she was an amazing HS player.

Her senior season statistically was amazing and reminded me of Tiny Archibald's great season with the Celtics.

Reaction Score

This is the part I like. She sounds like the consumate team players which should help her at UCONN. I'm glad that we have her on our team....

(on a side note) David please continue to post your thoughts and stories. It makes the off-season a less boring. Thank you :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Best of all, even with all of her talent, she's stepping into a loaded team that doesn't 'need' her to be a superstar. Geno can bring her along at the pace that is right for her.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Best of all, even with all of her talent, she's stepping into a loaded team that doesn't 'need' her to be a superstar. Geno can bring her along at the pace that is right for her.

Makes you appreciate Bria Hartley and all she did her freshman year, being thrown in the deep end from day 1...! (And Stef, too, but I think it was even more of a challenge at Bria's position.)

Reaction Score
Thanks David! I see Saniya getting some playing time but not a lot. I think she will do very well for a UCONN freshman. She has no pressure to perform right away. She will have the luxury of learning from our great coaching staff and playing with Bria & Mo.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The HS coaches player of the year (which just came out in the last day or 2) is very significant, perhaps much more so than rating agencies.

Add to that the approbation of Geno and Shea

She may very well be useful from the get-go

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
The HS coaches player of the year (which just came out in the last day or 2) is very significant, perhaps much more so than rating agencies.

Add to that the approbation of Geno and Shea

She may very well be useful from the get-go

Can you link up material on this award...not the local newspaper account, but a direct link. I an unfamiliar with the award.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Can you link up material on this award...not the local newspaper account, but a direct link. I an unfamiliar with the award.

LINK

scroll down a bit and you will see Saniya's name under Girls' basketball

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Saniya is from my neck of the woods, and I have been able to follow her (not literally) for three years. She is the biggest name in Westchester girl's basketball since Cori Chambers played at Ursaline. Cori later starred at Georgia, played briefly for the Sun, then went to assistant coach at Marist, and currently at Stoney Brook.

Glad we could contribute to the UConn program.

Reaction Score
No one, including Geno, ever "knows" what they're getting in advance, but she certainly seems promising, which on a team as short-handed as this year's will be very important.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
previous winners?

• 2010 Chiney Ogwumike
  • 2009 Skylar Diggins
  • 2008 Elena DelleDonne
  • 2007 Maya Moore
  • 2006 Tina Charles
  • 2005 Abby Waner
  • 2004 Candace Parker
  • 2003 Brittany Hunter
  • 2002 Ann Strother
  • 2001 Shyra Ely
  • 2000 Alison Thomason

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score

• [ ]2010 Chiney Ogwumike
    [ ]2009 Skylar Diggins
    [ ]2008 Elena DelleDonne
    [ ]2007 Maya Moore
    [ ]2006 Tina Charles
    [ ]2005 Abby Waner
    [ ]2004 Candace Parker
    [ ]2003 Brittany Hunter
    [ ]2002 Ann Strother
    [ ]2001 Shyra Ely
    [ ]2000 Alison Thomason

Did any of those previous winners have good college careers?

Just askin' !

OC

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

[ ]2009 Skylar Diggins
    [ ]2008 Elena DelleDonne
    [ ]2007 Maya Moore
    [ ]2006 Tina Charles
    [ ]2005 Abby Waner
    [ ]2004 Candace Parker
    [ ]2003 Brittany Hunter
    [ ]2002 Ann Strother
    [ ]2001 Shyra Ely
    [ ]2000 Alison Thomason

Thanks Phil...isn't that an impressive list. Wow, just plain wow....

bring on the optimism and summer fun...the heck with "moderation in everything"!

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score
rocky rococo, No one, including Geno, ever "knows" what they're getting in advance, but she certainly seems promising, which on a team as short-handed as this year's will be very important.

rocky.....not sure I follow your comment....What Geno and Shea "know" is that Saniya is "fast, can handle the ball, is a great passer, can shoot from way out, is more athletic than Shea, gets to the free throw line and scores points in a lot of ways...". Geno obviously really likes her and Shea thinks she will fit the system.... This is all stuff they should know, right?

Nobody is predicting her starting day 1, leading the team in scoring, or being All-American as a freshman. Still, IMO Geno "knows" he got a special talent that many missed.....Go Huskies..

Reaction Score

[ ]2009 Skylar Diggins
    [ ]2008 Elena DelleDonne
    [ ]2007 Maya Moore
    [ ]2006 Tina Charles
    [ ]2005 Abby Waner
    [ ]2004 Candace Parker
    [ ]2003 Brittany Hunter
    [ ]2002 Ann Strother
    [ ]2001 Shyra Ely
    [ ]2000 Alison Thomason
Just to round out the list since 2000:

2012 - Breanna Stewart (Cicero-North Syracuse, Cicero, N.Y.)
2011 - Elizabeth Williams (Princess Anne High School, Virginia Beach, Virginia)

I know that the reasons have been discussed here and in another thread. However, I still find it astounding to see that the newest name to added to this list is so lightly regarded by the rating services. 75 on HoopGurlz? Seriously?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
A lot of her low ranking has to do with the fact that she didn't play for one of the big AAU clubs, so the rating services either didn't have a chance to see her play a lot, or they dismissed her because she wasn't with a big club.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but the word is out. There is no reason now to have her out of the top ten.

Move her into Tucker's spot at 8. Tucker won't be playing until 2014.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Read an interesting article recently about how the AAU system has destroyed 'playground' basketball. I'll try to find it and link to it. These ratings gurus are all part of the same AAU cabal.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I confess I wasn't familiar with the National High School Coaches Association award. They have done a pretty far job of picking winners. But I am intrigued with Alison Thomason. I can't find out much about her. There apparently was a Sports Illustrated article about her, but I can't find out much about her career. Does anyone know the story? Was she injured?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom