What is the reaction if Henderson's three rims out? | The Boneyard

What is the reaction if Henderson's three rims out?

Reaction Score
Big picture, very little changes. We guard the three point line with the urgency of a moose crossing, we still can't inbound the basketball to win a game, and we still only have 2.5 players who can score.

On the other hand, some of the emotional comments probably become realistic assessments of the situation and the following knowledge sinks in: this team is not good, they are unlikely to be good at any point this season, and melting down over every reminder of these two things is not going to cause you anything but frustration. What's done is done. November of 2016 through April of 2017 was a disastrous stretch that could set the program back years. The man who is primarily responsible for that is the man currently coaching this team, but I actually don't think his performance has been that egregious. At this point, we're punishing him twice for the same crime. Separate the game day coach from the recruiter/developer. The situation he created for himself was messy before he lost one of the only players he could not afford to lose. Some of the anger being directed in his direction right now for the shortcomings of the team is just residual frustration from everything that has gone wrong in the last year plus.

Tulsa isn't horrible. They won on the road against a legitimately good Kansas State team. Most decent teams beat them, but you have to get out of bed to do it, especially away from home after a game you had circled on your calendar. We are not decent but we played hard, trailing by as many as nine in the second half and fighting back to put themselves in a position to win. Henderson nailed a deep three to cut our lead to one with 40 seconds left, Adams responded with a jumper, and then Henderson hit a tough three again. That's basketball, and what what would have been described as a gritty road win - and one positioned us well to ascend in the standings given the upcoming schedule - with Adams and Larrier both playing 50 minutes is now an affirmation of everything that is wrong with the program.

All of the positives are lost. The fact that we moved the ball better than we had at any point all season, the fact that Larrier continues to expand his game in light of the surgery, the promise that Whaley showed on both ends of the court...all of it is lost. Adams finally putting things together and playing like an all-American will somehow be spun into a negative and already has. Too bad if for no other reason than I thought they deserved to win tonight and I haven't said that often.

The big picture starts to change when the smaller pictures start to change. This could have been a nice win for a group that's probably tired of hearing about how awful they are, one that may have lifted some of the weight off their shoulders. A little bit of luck would have been all it took.

Reaction Score
Weird but I watched the whole game and was very unenthusiastic the whole time. Sure I noticed Adams, Larrier and Vital hitting big buckets but this team does not have me yelling and cheering like previous teams. In fact horrific calls against us gets not more than a frown out of me. I still watch every game, my wife is aware to leave me alone and I mark upcoming games on my calendar (to block everything else out). Its like I'm more of an interested spectator than my usual fanatic self, when watching them.

Perhaps I had grown accustomed to fast breaks, rim shaking dunks, dazzling passes, numerous blocked shots and other stimulating plays. I don't know but I do know that with this team I can multitask during games, even when they are on offense.

Maybe its the newbies (after the numerous transfers) that I have yet to become enamored to, whatever it is this season feels boring. Losing sucks!

Am I a bad fan?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Big picture, very little changes. We guard the three point line with the urgency of a moose crossing, we still can't inbound the basketball to win a game, and we still only have 2.5 players who can score.

On the other hand, some of the emotional comments probably become realistic assessments of the situation and the following knowledge sinks in: this team is not good, they are unlikely to be good at any point this season, and melting down over every reminder of these two things is not going to cause you anything but frustration. What's done is done. November of 2016 through April of 2017 was a disastrous stretch that could set the program back years. The man who is primarily responsible for that is the man currently coaching this team, but I actually don't think his performance has been that egregious. At this point, we're punishing him twice for the same crime. Separate the game day coach from the recruiter/developer. The situation he created for himself was messy before he lost one of the only players he could not afford to lose. Some of the anger being directed in his direction right now for the shortcomings of the team is just residual frustration from everything that has gone wrong in the last year plus.

Tulsa isn't horrible. They won on the road against a legitimately good Kansas State team. Most decent teams beat them, but you have to get out of bed to do it, especially away from home after a game you had circled on your calendar. We are not decent but we played hard, trailing by as many as nine in the second half and fighting back to put themselves in a position to win. Henderson nailed a deep three to cut our lead to one with 40 seconds left, Adams responded with a jumper, and then Henderson hit a tough three again. That's basketball, and what what would have been described as a gritty road win - and one positioned us well to ascend in the standings given the upcoming schedule - with Adams and Larrier both playing 50 minutes is now an affirmation of everything that is wrong with the program.

All of the positives are lost. The fact that we moved the ball better than we had at any point all season, the fact that Larrier continues to expand his game in light of the surgery, the promise that Whaley showed on both ends of the court...all of it is lost. Adams finally putting things together and playing like an all-American will somehow be spun into a negative and already has. Too bad if for no other reason than I thought they deserved to win tonight and I haven't said that often.

The big picture starts to change when the smaller pictures start to change. This could have been a nice win for a group that's probably tired of hearing about how awful they are, one that may have lifted some of the weight off their shoulders. A little bit of luck would have been all it took.

This is too long and too incoherent.

Are you looking to defend Ollie, the players or some combination of both?

Let me know and I'll give you the argument. (Protip: There is no argument that Tulsa is good.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Weird but I watched the whole game and was very unenthusiastic the whole time. Sure I noticed Adams, Larrier and Vital hitting big buckets but this team does not have me yelling and cheering like previous teams. In fact horrific calls against us gets not more than a frown out of me. I still watch every game, my wife is aware to leave me alone and I mark upcoming games on my calendar (to block everything else out). Its like I'm more of an interested spectator than my usual fanatic self, when watching them.

Perhaps I had grown accustomed to fast breaks, rim shaking dunks, dazzling passes, numerous blocked shots and other stimulating plays. I don't know but I do know that with this team I can multitask during games, even when they are on offense.

Maybe its the newbies (after the numerous transfers) that I have yet to become enamored to, whatever it is this season feels boring. Losing sucks!

Am I a bad fan?

Not a bad fan. The bad fan would be the one who now knows they won’t have any hope left for postseason so they now gloat over every loss knowing it helps their cause in ousting KO and they’re out there, suddenly in droves. “If” they miss that 3 they would only be slowed down until the next loss where they would be active on the board again willing to discuss everything bad about the program yet again.

Painful place, much because KO isn’t getting the job done and much because people... well we know, no reason to get into it again.

Reaction Score
Agree that there were a lot of positives but unfortunately they were all focused on the offensive end with much better ball movement, sharing, and better shooting.
That was all lost however behind our continued inability to defend the 3 pt line, and any semblance of effective in-bounds plays.

Reaction Score

Let me know and I'll give you the argument. (Protip: There is no argument that Tulsa is good.)

Just look at the first page of the board. We have people calling for Ollie to be fired now, we have people wanting Geno to take over, and we have others dissecting a throwaway post game comment. All of this because they lost what was at best a toss-up game on a 25% shot with virtually no bench and two guys playing the entire game. The opinions of those voicing their concerns are valid, they just aren't original, and while I'm not trying to censor every thought and emotion that a game like this might trigger, I struggle to find the use in getting mad about the same things every game. This team is bad. Nobody thinks that this is acceptable, but it's going to take time to fix and in the meantime I think it's OK to still want the best for the guys wearing the jersey. If that means "good" is being the 100th best team in the country instead of the 40th, then so be it. I'm just legitimately wondering if it is the loss itself that causes people to freak out or if people are going to react to everything that happens this season as if the last time they watched was 2009.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

excellent post. Too bad @whaler11 doesnt get it.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It's pretty simple. The Coach sucks, the roster is paper thin, the incoming class isn't anything special and we keep losing.

You think it's the Tulsa game that finally broke people's backs? Was anyone out there watching the past 4 seasons?

Reaction Score
Why wasn't Anderson on Henderson? He shot right over Adams.

Reaction Score
It's pretty simple. The Coach sucks, the roster is paper thin, the incoming class isn't anything special and we keep losing.

You think it's the Tulsa game that finally broke people's backs? Was anyone out there watching the past 4 seasons?

Of course not, but that's my point. People's backs were already broken before the game and when you have a broken back it tends to inform your view on everything that happens. There is so much built up negative association with everybody involved with the program right now that if they do start to turn things around, it's probably going to take us a while to recognize it. We could have easily been on our way to 5-1 in conference with a win yesterday and all of a sudden Nova is coming in and the narrative is entirely different. This could have been the start of a run. "Those are character building wins" I can see somebody saying, as everybody nods. Instead, he hits a tough shot and we're right back where we started.

Reaction Score
The board was split on the Columbia win, it would likely have continued here as well if it had come to that. Some would see progress, some would see kicking the can down the road. The fact is the fan base will continue to stay split as long as Ollie is coaching mediocre product. Trying to find common ground will be a fool’s errand as everyone will have their own opinion on the best way to get UConn back, or even if it’s still possible.

Reaction Score
I don't think it mattered who was guarding Henderson if they reacted the same. It's tough to not help on a drive when you play that way for 39 minutes. But Jalen came of Henderson to help on the drive after Larrier(?) was beaten off the dribble. Typically that's the right play, but when your guy already hit 7 threes, and you have a 3 point lead under 10 seconds, you happily give up the layup and stay on the shooter. We have a lot of needs, one of them is guys with higher BB IQ.

Another WTF moment was Vitale taking that deep three late in the game, we needed a good shot there, we've proven we excel at deep threes late in the shot clock, that was a terrible shot early in the possession.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@champs99and04

I've seen moderate improvement at times over the past two games. It's not enough, it needs to be more consistent. I'd walk away happy we won at a place we'd never won before, but it wouldn't change my overall perception of Ollie and his performance over the course of his time here. "big picture" includes the fact it was one game, but the shot didn't rim out, and we had 10 more minutes to get a win, and couldn't.

This wasn't a miracle three from 3/4 court like Jalen in Orlando 2 years ago. It was a simple drive and dish, where Jalen has to stay on the hot hand and not give up the three.

Reaction Score

Actually Adams let him get the open look he was to the side of him didn't stay in front of him and Anderson is probably 2-3 inches smaller so he would've shot over him anyway. 6 or one half dozen of the other.

Reaction Score

Here’s one thing. All these overtime games show our guys have lots of guts and play to win despite the hurdles thrust on them. Our they are too stubborn to give up and lose. They may not be physically strong but I think they are a lot tougher than given credit for.

Reaction Score
Another WTF moment was Vitale taking that deep three late in the game, we needed a good shot there, we've proven we excel at deep threes late in the shot clock, that was a terrible shot early in the possession.

Its a 'new' phenomenon with these youngters these days. Its called 'hero ball'. They seem to play as if groupies or cheerleaders are waiting for them on the bus. Nowadays youtube, instagram and other social media makes these kids stars in their own mind.

Team is a concept that has to be passed down, shaken and stirred into young players. The saying there is no 'i' in team is corny, but accurate. That Vital play makes me wonder if these guys are forever green lighted as in playground style. Jalen our best player was going one against 3 a lot, basically shooting at will.

I guess I don't understand what I'm seeing.

Reaction Score
Its a 'new' phenomenon with these youngters these days. Its called 'hero ball'. They seem to play as if groupies or cheerleaders are waiting for them on the bus. Nowadays youtube, instagram and other social media makes these kids stars in their own mind.

Team is a concept that has to be passed down, shaken and stirred into young players. The saying there is no 'i' in team is corny, but accurate. That Vital play makes me wonder if these guys are forever green lighted as in playground style. Jalen our best player was going one against 3 a lot, basically shooting at will.

I guess I don't understand what I'm seeing.
I disagree that it's a new phenomenon. Long before social media, there were plenty of guys playing that way.

It's also something that can, and should, be handled by the coaches. Plenty of teams get buy-in and ball movement.

Reaction Score
I disagree that it's a new phenomenon. Long before social media, there were plenty of guys playing that way.

It's also something that can, and should, be handled by the coaches. Plenty of teams get buy-in and ball movement.
Yeah but they were one or maybe two per team, sort of poisonous unless they were the Carmelo type. Our squad has a few of them and unlike the old days these young'uns are self-hyped.

Public Enemy sang 'Don't believe the hype', that's hard to do with these 'new' crop of high schoolers using social media to their benefit. I don't believe its marketing more than self promotion. Which is fine if you understand its 'not reality' or conclusive. I'm just saying it appears that they can't make that distinction, consequently keeping bad habits, work ethics and self glorification into Div 1 basketball. That was the point I was trying to make.

Reaction Score
Yeah but they were one or maybe two per team, sort of poisonous unless they were the Carmelo type. Our squad has a few of them and unlike the old days these young'uns are self-hyped.

Public Enemy sang 'Don't believe the hype', that's hard to do with these 'new' crop of high schoolers using social media to their benefit. I don't believe its marketing more than self promotion. Which is fine if you understand its 'not reality' or conclusive. I'm just saying it appears that they can't make that distinction, consequently keeping bad habits, work ethics and self glorification into Div 1 basketball. That was the point I was trying to make.
I hear you. But Ollie has sit them if they don't buy in. Yes, I know, he's trying to keep his job. But we're still losing, so he's still getting closer and closer to losing his job at some point anyway.

That said, it's probably too late to send that message to this team now.

Everyone can't wait for Sid Wilson to join the team. Look up his "Jelly Fam" crew. Good, bad, or indifferent, it's part of what you're talking about. He could be our most unselfish player on the court, we won't know until he's allowed to play.

Reaction Score

Tulsa beat KP # 40 in Kansas. That has documented evidentiary value that Tulsa is not per se horrible.

Protip: Champs stated Tulsa isn't horrible, How is that an argument Tulsa is good? lol

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I hear you. But Ollie has sit them if they don't buy in. Yes, I know, he's trying to keep his job. But we're still losing, so he's still getting closer and closer to losing his job at some point anyway.

That said, it's probably too late to send that message to this team now.

Everyone can't wait for Sid Wilson to join the team. Look up his "Jelly Fam" crew. Good, bad, or indifferent, it's part of what you're talking about. He could be our most unselfish player on the court, we won't know until he's allowed to play.

Jelly Fam? I'm glad I'm not young anymore.

Reaction Score

Am I a bad fan?
Between this team stinking again and playing in a conference against teams i couldnt care less about i have a hard time watching with any enthusiasm. In the last 2 years ive missed more Uconn games then i had in the previous 20 years. Yeah. Let that sink in for a min. This program has become unwatchable. Im sorry if i cant get pumped up about a sh.tty team playing against the likes of Tulsa, South Florida and even Witchita STate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom