What is the Point? | The Boneyard

What is the Point?

Reaction Score
Honest question…. Why should we remain committed to FBS football? We are uncompetitive, under resourced, and poorly led. What’s the point? I was a season ticket holder until the kids got in the way and I wish we could succeed… but it’s not working. Why continue when there is nothing institutionally to suggest this could ever be turned around.

Reaction Score
I think all questions will be answered when new regime takes over.

Will Administration choose to pay the head coach a very good salary?
Will Administration choose to increase the assistant coach salary pool significantly?
Will Administration relax admission standards for football team?

If the answer is no to any of the above then it is officially over.

Reaction Score
All programs struggle. Its our turn. Have to get this hire right. What i can't get over is bringing Edsall back. I just cannot see the point to bring back a guy that lost a fastball he never had in the 1st place. The team is worse than when he got here.

Reaction Score

Will Administration choose to increase the assistant coach salary pool significantly?

Relaxing on the admission standards I don’t believe will happen, but everything else will happen.

Reaction Score
Honest question…. Why should we remain committed to FBS football? We are uncompetitive, under resourced, and poorly led. What’s the point? I was a season ticket holder until the kids got in the way and I wish we could succeed… but it’s not working. Why continue when there is nothing institutionally to suggest this could ever be turned around.
Thank you for your interest in UConn athletics.

Reaction Score
Loser fan? What’s the matter with you? I bleed blue as much as anyone…. But what’s the price point? What’s the economic investment required to make that all happen? Who pays for that? Does the legislature? More student fees? We can all rail about those not willing to “stick it out”… does anyone here have any confidence our administration will do right by this program when we have a decade of evidence to the contrary.
I want our football team to succeed as much as anyone here… but take the rose colored glasses and ask the question soberly (I know it’s a Sat night…tough ask for any of us)..where is this going?

Reaction Score
Relaxing on the admission standards I don’t believe will happen, but everything else will happen.
Although Meatloaf might disagree, 2 out of 3 is definitely bad in this case.

It doesn’t have to be for the entire roster, but admission standards definitely have to be eased.

Reaction Score
Totally fair question. And we are a national brand so I get the why… I’m just not sure we have people in charge that can make it happen and I have zero confidence in our school leadership to make it happen.

Reaction Score
Totally fair question. And we are a national brand so I get the why… I’m just not sure we have people in charge that can make it happen and I have zero confidence in our school leadership to make it happen.
Glad you softened your OP. If we wanted to commit the resources necessary to compete, we would. I think too many on the BoT don't want to do it. Fine, but that will be a mistake. We need football to maintain the brand. The college athletic landscape will be run but the FBS schools in the future. Basketball only schools will see their TV revenue dry up when they football playing schools flex their muscle and freeze them out of future TV packages. Our pride and joy basketball programs will never sniff a national championship after that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Loser fan? What’s the matter with you? I bleed blue as much as anyone…. But what’s the price point? What’s the economic investment required to make that all happen? Who pays for that? Does the legislature? More student fees? We can all rail about those not willing to “stick it out”… does anyone here have any confidence our administration will do right by this program when we have a decade of evidence to the contrary.
I want our football team to succeed as much as anyone here… but take the rose colored glasses and ask the question soberly (I know it’s a Sat night…tough ask for any of us)..where is this going?
Well, since I live in Jersey and I am not footing the bill, I think the price point should be unlimited…

Reaction Score
I don't get why UConn in FBS is something that makes no sense but, for example, Middle Tennessee or Western Kentucky make sense.
How about top 20 ranked Coastal Carolina and pretty much every school in the MAC. They can have FBS football but for some reason UCONN should drop out? Makes no sense.

I believe in Stratford native PUMA, better days are right around the corner. It stinks that he got injured but we'll appreciate that in 2025.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All programs struggle. Its our turn. Have to get this hire right. What i can't get over is bringing Edsall back. I just cannot see the point to bring back a guy that lost a fastball he never had in the 1st place. The team is worse than when he got here.
By a whole lot. The drop off under RE2 has been appalling. He actually made Diaco look comparatively good.

Reaction Score
We cannot give up on FBS football. True, this is a dumpster fire of a season, like most of the last decade. But I could see the team working in future years toward a 6 and 6 record. There just needs to be accountability especially by the AD and coaching staff. Saturday's interim, interim coach should not have been coaching. The team needs to spend enough money so there is someone always available to fall back on.

Reaction Score

One more hire and if there is still complete failure then we should consider FCS. Otherwise it’s a waste of money.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
901 GIF

Reaction Score
Major universities play major college football. We have a national TV deal. If a recruit wants to play P5 competition, you go to a P5 school, ND or UConn. Our move to Independence separated us from the G5. We've got some fun games scheduled and a fan base that will turn out for a half-decent product. We've seen flashes from our young guys. Benedict just needs to hit the right coach and this can take off.

Reaction Score
This year is a lost cause. It was when we lost to Holy Cross and Edsall was ousted. Not a defense of Edsall, just that when the head coach is let go mid season things typically get worse, not better. Then Covid hit and it was a total disaster.

we have facilities, something of a brand, and upgraded recruiting. If we land a decent coach we can certainly be competitive. Liberty, Coastal Carolina, various MAC teams all show it can be done. But we need the right guy and the right commitment.

Reaction Score

Your statement I think all questions will be answered when new regime takes over.
Shows a total lack of reason. How many times will you resort to that statement.

Will Administration choose to pay the head coach a very good salary? NO
Will Administration choose to increase the assistant coach salary pool significantly? NO
Will Administration relax admission standards for football team? NO

If the past is any indicator, the Administration will choose a young coach, with no real experience to get him on the cheap
The same for the assistants. The administration will do the same. Get younger coaches and on the cheap.
Finally, Will the administration relax standards..................ANOTHER FIRM NO.

Recruiting will continue to be as it was. No improvements.

Reaction Score
Saying ALL programs struggle is a bit of an overstatement, don't you think? Struggling for most programs is an occasional .500 season. Maybe not even that bad. We are "struggling" to epic proportions. "Struggling" doesn't last 10 years.

Reaction Score
Saying ALL programs struggle is a bit of an overstatement, don't you think? Struggling for most programs is an occasional .500 season. Maybe not even that bad. We are "struggling" to epic proportions. "Struggling" doesn't last 10 years.
How long you been watching CFB? Wisconsin sucked forever until Barry Alvarez came along. The school has to commit to turning this around. Half measures like bringing Edsall back got us what it got us. We were better off sticking with Diaco.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom