What is the Point? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What is the Point?

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Saying ALL programs struggle is a bit of an overstatement, don't you think? Struggling for most programs is an occasional .500 season. Maybe not even that bad. We are "struggling" to epic proportions. "Struggling" doesn't last 10 years.
I hate to use Duke as an example, but their run from 1995 to 2012 was pretty bad as well. I’m sure we can find other examples of similar futility.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I will begin by stating that all of the whining, the crying about how we should just give up on FBS football reminds me of the early to mid 1980’s. Before we hired JC there was an army of fans, journalists, academics and politicians claiming that we needed to drop our men’s basketball program down a level as we could never compete in the Big East.

One thing that I am concerned with is the school’s approach to admitting football players. There was an op-ed piece posted here shortly after RE announced his retirement (written by someone who appeared to have knowledge of the internal situation). He claimed that during RE’s first run he was basically being penalized for his success in graduating football players as the school continued to make it more difficult to get recruits admitted. There were a number of prospects (going back ~15 years) who wanted to come here but ended up at competing schools (I can think of three who played for Rutgers) who were at worst our academic equal. I also know for a fact that around the time that Diaco went off the reservation he firmly held the belief that as long as he continued to bring in good kids who stayed out of trouble and graduated, he would be head coach forever. Somewhere along the way it had to have been communicated to him that academic performance was clearly the priority. It seems that there are forces within the school using this as a means to limit the program (I don’t see how it is possible that all other scholarship sports face similar admission scrutiny).

When Lou Holtz was discussing the head coaching job with Notre Dame (3 1/2 decades ago) he made it clear that in order to compete for national titles the school had to be willing to accept players that peer universities (Michigan, USC, Stanford, UCLA – all top academic schools) were accepting. He also demanded to be able to have one carte blanche recruit on the roster at all times for competitive purposes. We will never get anywhere as a football program if we cannot admit players who somehow can get admitted to schools at equal academic standing, but perhaps that is the point.

There are a lot of people, scattered throughout the press, the school, in public office and even our fan base who through their words and actions would prefer we just give up. Some are even pushing for it (which for the life of me I cannot understand).

There have been quite a few posts debating whether we need to offer a lot of cash in order to get where we want. I believe that it is pretty safe to state that we could land a quality, up and coming HC for $1.25 million - $1.5 million per year who could turn this thing around and we could land a bigger name at $2.5 million - $3 million per year who would fail. I’m not sure that money is the issue and I am convinced that money is far from the biggest issue. We need to school, the press, our elected officials, our fans and the general public to be in favor of an improved product. For far too long there have been too many people who feel offended by any success the program has seen. This baffles me but I’ve seen in in more than football. For reasons beyond any logic, we’ve always needed to hide the idea that we wanted to be good at anything. When we built Gampel we needed to lie about the size of the venue. When we were lobbying to move up in football it needed to be presented that we weren’t going to try to be competitive at a national level, just have a team so we could be classified with top basketball schools that also happened to play (albeit badly) football at the highest level.

I’ve heard from some good sources that finding money for the next regime won’t be an issue. My concern is entirely with how the school supports the program, primarily in terms of admissions. If a kid could land a scholarship at one of our academic peers there is no excuse for him not to be admitted here.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I will begin by stating that all of the whining, the crying about how we should just give up on FBS football reminds me of the early to mid 1980’s. Before we hired JC there was an army of fans, journalists, academics and politicians claiming that we needed to drop our men’s basketball program down a level as we could never compete in the Big East.

One thing that I am concerned with is the school’s approach to admitting football players. There was an op-ed piece posted here shortly after RE announced his retirement (written by someone who appeared to have knowledge of the internal situation). He claimed that during RE’s first run he was basically being penalized for his success in graduating football players as the school continued to make it more difficult to get recruits admitted. There were a number of prospects (going back ~15 years) who wanted to come here but ended up at competing schools (I can think of three who played for Rutgers) who were at worst our academic equal. I also know for a fact that around the time that Diaco went off the reservation he firmly held the belief that as long as he continued to bring in good kids who stayed out of trouble and graduated, he would be head coach forever. Somewhere along the way it had to have been communicated to him that academic performance was clearly the priority. It seems that there are forces within the school using this as a means to limit the program (I don’t see how it is possible that all other scholarship sports face similar admission scrutiny).

When Lou Holtz was discussing the head coaching job with Notre Dame (3 1/2 decades ago) he made it clear that in order to compete for national titles the school had to be willing to accept players that peer universities (Michigan, USC, Stanford, UCLA – all top academic schools) were accepting. He also demanded to be able to have one carte blanche recruit on the roster at all times for competitive purposes. We will never get anywhere as a football program if we cannot admit players who somehow can get admitted to schools at equal academic standing, but perhaps that is the point.

There are a lot of people, scattered throughout the press, the school, in public office and even our fan base who through their words and actions would prefer we just give up. Some are even pushing for it (which for the life of me I cannot understand).

There have been quite a few posts debating whether we need to offer a lot of cash in order to get where we want. I believe that it is pretty safe to state that we could land a quality, up and coming HC for $1.25 million - $1.5 million per year who could turn this thing around and we could land a bigger name at $2.5 million - $3 million per year who would fail. I’m not sure that money is the issue and I am convinced that money is far from the biggest issue. We need to school, the press, our elected officials, our fans and the general public to be in favor of an improved product. For far too long there have been too many people who feel offended by any success the program has seen. This baffles me but I’ve seen in in more than football. For reasons beyond any logic, we’ve always needed to hide the idea that we wanted to be good at anything. When we built Gampel we needed to lie about the size of the venue. When we were lobbying to move up in football it needed to be presented that we weren’t going to try to be competitive at a national level, just have a team so we could be classified with top basketball schools that also happened to play (albeit badly) football at the highest level.

I’ve heard from some good sources that finding money for the next regime won’t be an issue. My concern is entirely with how the school supports the program, primarily in terms of admissions. If a kid could land a scholarship at one of our academic peers there is no excuse for him not to be admitted here.
Good stuff.

Reaction Score
I would just point out that most of the public, major research universities in the US are in FBS.

most, if not all, of the universities you reference don’t have a dumpster fire of a football program and are likely in a P4/P5 conference. we just were beaten soundly by umass and are weeks removed from losing to the college of the holy cross

Reaction Score
A review by the Associated Press last year found that among the 120 top football schools it's common practice to relax admission standards for athletes. At UConn, students who don't meet school criteria, but who coaches want, can be granted "pre-admit" status, which is something like the special admission that other NCAA schools use to open the doors to athletes with inferior academic records.

"We don't call it special admission. Ours is a holistic review, looking at the whole student," said Lee Melvin, vice president of enrollment management and planning for UConn. "If this is what they call an impact player, we ask a lot of questions. We will look at the essay. We may ask for an interview. We will look at the student's background."

"Randy Edsall and I sat down. I said to Randy, "was there a student you signed that we did not admit?" He said 'I don't think so,' " Melvin told me. "He may have had some problems with it. I'm sure some of the other coaches had some problems."

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Honest question…. Why should we remain committed to FBS football? We are uncompetitive, under resourced, and poorly led. What’s the point? I was a season ticket holder until the kids got in the way and I wish we could succeed… but it’s not working. Why continue when there is nothing institutionally to suggest this could ever be turned around.
Can’t stay in the dirt forever gotta believe it will turn around, I’m sure their were programs in worse shape than this that came back

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
A review by the Associated Press last year found that among the 120 top football schools it's common practice to relax admission standards for athletes. At UConn, students who don't meet school criteria, but who coaches want, can be granted "pre-admit" status, which is something like the special admission that other NCAA schools use to open the doors to athletes with inferior academic records.

"We don't call it special admission. Ours is a holistic review, looking at the whole student," said Lee Melvin, vice president of enrollment management and planning for UConn. "If this is what they call an impact player, we ask a lot of questions. We will look at the essay. We may ask for an interview. We will look at the student's background."

"Randy Edsall and I sat down. I said to Randy, "was there a student you signed that we did not admit?" He said 'I don't think so,' " Melvin told me. "He may have had some problems with it. I'm sure some of the other coaches had some problems."
Good find where was this?

Reaction Score

I'm in agreement here. The point isn't to pay an absurd amount of money. It's to hire a guy with a plan. If what you heard about Diaco thinking graduating players was enough is accurate, then there are mixed signals being sent all over the place. Everyone should understand that being this terrible is going to tank attendance.

Each coach they have hired is a defensive minded boring coach Edsall 1.0 included. Now when you're competing for conference championships people will show up. But we haven't competed for those and can't going forward. No one wants to show up and watch a team that is out of the game at 14-0, because they're so inept offensively. Break out of the steady habits and try something different. I really believe more people will show up by default if you at least have an exciting offense that can put up points. We have been less compelling than watching paint dry for far too long.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I hate to use Duke as an example, but their run from 1995 to 2012 was pretty bad as well. I’m sure we can find other examples of similar futility.

Good point. They gave the reins to David Cutcliffe after he was cut loose from Ole Miss after a 4-7 season. Cutcliffe had been 40-29 at Miss, won 5 bowl games, and was ranked in 4 of his 6 seasons. He makes about $2.7/year (2nd lowest salary among ACC FB HCs - interestingly Dave Clawson at undefeated Wake is lowest at $2.3).

Over the 17 years between bowl appearances (1995-2011), Duke went 35-150 (.189). By comparison, in the 10 years since the Fiesta Bowl, UConn is 30-86 (.258). The past four years of increasing futility under Edsall 2.0/Spanos has produced a 6-37 (.139) record.

So, the takeaways should be that a) a good head coach shouldn't break the bank. Regarding staff, neither Duke nor Wake publishes assistant salaries, but similar schools like Virginia, Purdue, Oregon St and other mid-tier P5s are all in the $3.3-$3.6 mill range for staff. So, ideally, the bill for a good HC and staff is $6 mill or slightly less; and b) yes, a turnaround is definitely possible, and relatively quickly as well, perhaps 3-4 years tops to a bowl return, if AD Dave gets it right and the BoD lets him do his thing.

Reaction Score
This year is a lost cause. It was when we lost to Holy Cross and Edsall was ousted. Not a defense of Edsall, just that when the head coach is let go mid season things typically get worse, not better.
Typically, not always

Reaction Score

I am fairly certain there are none recently close to as bad as theirs at this level.

Reaction Score

Very well stated! You are 100% correct.

Reaction Score
Good point. They gave the reins to David Cutcliffe after he was cut loose from Ole Miss after a 4-7 season. Cutcliffe had been 40-29 at Miss, won 5 bowl games, and was ranked in 4 of his 6 seasons. He makes about $2.7/year (2nd lowest salary among ACC FB HCs - interestingly Dave Clawson at undefeated Wake is lowest at $2.3).

Over the 17 years between bowl appearances (1995-2011), Duke went 35-150 (.189). By comparison, in the 10 years since the Fiesta Bowl, UConn is 30-86 (.258). The past four years of increasing futility under Edsall 2.0/Spanos has produced a 6-37 (.139) record.

So, the takeaways should be that a) a good head coach shouldn't break the bank. Regarding staff, neither Duke nor Wake publishes assistant salaries, but similar schools like Virginia, Purdue, Oregon St and other mid-tier P5s are all in the $3.3-$3.6 mill range for staff. So, ideally, the bill for a good HC and staff is $6 mill or slightly less; and b) yes, a turnaround is definitely possible, and relatively quickly as well, perhaps 3-4 years tops to a bowl return, if AD Dave gets it right and the BoD lets him do his thing.

The football coach should at least make as much as Dan Hurley.

If he isn't then that lets you know how much UConn is trying.

Hurley's achievements are still rather modest.

The FB coach is tasked by filling 3X as many seats EACH game.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The football coach should at least make as much as Dan Hurley.

If he isn't then that lets you know how much UConn is trying.

Hurley's achievements are still rather modest.

The FB coach is tasked by filling 3X as many seats EACH game.
Very arbitrary goalposts there.

Reaction Score
Why Coastal Carolina? Why Middle Tennessee State? Why NOT UConn?

In a word, talent.

There are scads of 3, 4, and 5 star players in the South, Midwest, and Far West. Here in the Northeast, there’s less interest in football at the high school and college levels, and consequently much less talent available.

As others have noted, Connecticut produces maybe 3-4 FBS level players annually; we’re extraordinarily lucky if we keep 1-2 of them in-state. The numbers are much better for New Jersey and Pennsylvani, but it’s the same result: we lose out to Rutgers, Penn State, Pitt, or any other P5 school that makes an offer.

And when we try to recruit in the South or Midwest? Look at the occasional Florida kid we manage to sign: typically, he‘s a 3 star who doesn’t have any offers from another “national brand” FBS school, so he’s desperate enough to commit to 4-5 years in Storrs.

Reaction Score
How long you been watching CFB? Wisconsin sucked forever until Barry Alvarez came along. The school has to commit to turning this around. Half measures like bringing Edsall back got us what it got us. We were better off sticking with Diaco.
What serious college program has a win-loss record like ours over the past 10 years? Picking one program to justify "ALL programs" is the second major leap on this thread. Wisconsin is a Big 10 school too. Apples and eggplant comparison (can't say oranges).

Reaction Score
What serious college program has a win-loss record like ours over the past 10 years? Picking one program to justify "ALL programs" is the second major leap on this thread. Wisconsin is a Big 10 school too. Apples and eggplant comparison (can't say oranges).
Someone threw Duke and Kansas out there. There are also schools like Indiana, Iowa State, Missouri, and South Carolina that went through absolutely abysmal extended stretches.

UConn has to get serious about the sport. This ain't rocket science. They followed up the Diaco disaster with a lackluster attempt at REstoring the program.

Reaction Score

Just wanted to say this is an excellent, thoughtful post. Which is refreshing

Reaction Score
We cannot give up on FBS football. True, this is a dumpster fire of a season, like most of the last decade. But I could see the team working in future years toward a 6 and 6 record. There just needs to be accountability especially by the AD and coaching staff. Saturday's interim, interim coach should not have been coaching. The team needs to spend enough money so there is someone always available to fall back on.

I'm sorry. Of all the things to worry about when you plan for a football season, no sane AD should be worried about what happens if I fire my coach two games into the season and then the interim coach has to miss a few games because of illness. Please. You can have the best positional coaches around, and those skills don't necessarily translate into having someone who will be a good interim coach.

Reaction Score

Fully agree my friend. But that doesn't solve the issue that to catch up with schools who have now moved light years ahead of us, it won't be enough to offer the kids they offer. Because given the choice, no kid is going to come here instead of Rutgers or Pitt or Syracuse (all comparable universities) any time soon. We need to be offering kids those schools won't touch for a while.

Reaction Score
most, if not all, of the universities you reference don’t have a dumpster fire of a football program and are likely in a P4/P5 conference. we just were beaten soundly by umass and are weeks removed from losing to the college of the holy cross
The difference is UMASS doesn’t even try. My co workers complained about the bubble built there as being a waste. Yes , UMASS is an academic equal.

Reaction Score
Each coach they have hired is a defensive minded boring coach Edsall 1.0 included. Now when you're competing for conference championships people will show up. But we haven't competed for those and can't going forward. No one wants to show up and watch a team that is out of the game at 14-0, because they're so inept offensively. Break out of the steady habits and try something different. I really believe more people will show up by default if you at least have an exciting offense that can put up points. We have been less compelling than watching paint dry for far too long.
Couldn't agree more.In fact it is the only out for UConn. College football is all about outscoring your opponent (see Oklahoma v Texas. See TA&M v Alabama). No quality high school prospect wants to go to a program that can't afford to give up 17 points per game, lest they get beat. And the crowd . . . Zzzzzzzzz.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom