What is the hype about? seriously? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What is the hype about? seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I am claiming ignorance. I dont know why he is such a big deal. Just calling it as I see it. Hey, I'm happy Coach P is gone. This guys seems like an upgrade for sure. I just dont understand why everyone is all like "OMG!" we got Diaco

who would be an OMG guy to you? Saban? Miles? Meyer? can you name a name that would "OMG" you that we have a realistic chance of landing?

2012 defensive coordinator of the year is as big a name as we can expect

PS: I'm not bashing either, I'm both asking and answering questions

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'm not dogging on the hire. I just dont know anything about this guy.

He was a DC at Notre Dame....ok... Thats not a huge deal
He was a DC at Cinci ...ok...so what? TJW was OC at UConn... same same?
I watched one of his pregame speaches...it was motivational, but 1.5M for a motivational speaker? Also, he seemed a bit phoney while saying it.

I just dont understand why this guy is such a big deal. I want it to be a big deal. I really do, I guess I just dont know enough about this guy. That's why I'm posting this. To get some information. Help me out here. Please remember, I'm not dogging on the hire at all. I just dont understand the gravity of it.

--C

How about READING THE INTERNET if you want info. For example, THIS MESSAGE BOARD.

Reaction Score
Taken from the linked Cal article above;

"Final Verdict

Pros
  • DAT DEFENSE
  • Preaches commitment and attention to detail in all facets of life
  • Great recruiter
  • Experience with special teams could pay dividends for Cal
Cons
  • Extremely limited experience with offense (we all knew this)
  • Can he make sound hires for assistant coaches? (we all agree with this)
If we're hiring a current coordinator, Bob Diaco should be the top candidate. He's built the defense that propelled Notre Dame into the national championship game, he recruits very well, and he says all the right things when talking about player development on and off the field. He is an excellent candidate for any open head coaching position."

not that I needed to be reassured but the reinforcement of how other programs viewed him may help others to jump on board!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
LoL. no no no. I honestly want some information as to what all the hype is about.

Well, let's see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Fishy said:
Well, let's see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it!

Then nearly fourteen billion years ago expansion started. Wait...
The Earth began to cool,
Then Kaley Cuoco got hot and they built an entire series around her and gave men a reason to watch BBT.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
How about I ask the people who really know. The BY. Quit being a jacka$$.

I had the same questions you did. So rather than make a "LOOK AT ME" post and ask others to take the time to present information to me, I read the TWENTY threads already written on the subject by "the people who really know," and found all of the information that was eventually spoonfed to you.

I was probably too harsh but I still don't understand why you couldn't spend 5 minutes reading the available information before declaring that you weren't impressed.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Then nearly fourteen billion years ago expansion started. Wait...
The Earth began to cool,
Then Kaley Cuoco got hot and they built an entire series around her and gave men a reason to watch BBT.

I can't believe that neither you nor Fishy has discussed any information pre-singularity (before the "Big Bang"). It would fill in the gap to how many Americans enjoy The Big Bang Theory show as well... ;)

Reaction Score
BabyCody.jpg

IMG_2494.JPG

Reaction Score
Lol. This is pretty funny I gotta say. How'd you know I have blue eyes? Haha.
I get your point. But I thought my questions were legit. Didn't think so many people would be all pissed off. Hey. We are in the right direction. Hopefully it pays off

Reaction Score
I had the same questions you did. So rather than make a "LOOK AT ME" post and ask others to take the time to present information to me, I read the TWENTY threads already written on the subject by "the people who really know," and found all of the information that was eventually spoonfed to you.

I was probably too harsh but I still don't understand why you couldn't spend 5 minutes reading the available information before declaring that you weren't impressed.
I did read the posts. Actually read every thread starting with the narduzzi chance. I've been up to date on it. Just simply didn't understand why Diaco was so much better than other candidates is all. Like I said, I'm not bashing. Just want to be as excited as everyone else

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ah, now this is the boneyard that we've all come to know and love. I'm misting up a little bit over here. what better sign do you need about this hire other than the fact that it has encouraged the boneyard to pound away on someone like a baby seal.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I did read the posts. Actually read every thread starting with the narduzzi chance. I've been up to date on it. Just simply didn't understand why Diaco was so much better than other candidates is all. Like I said, I'm not bashing. Just want to be as excited as everyone else

I supose if you don't follow college football closely you may have missed the fact that Notre Dame, after a string of mediocre to failing coaches, suddenly started winning again. And did it against their a high profile schedule. While much credit went to their new HC, Brian Kelly (formerly from Cinci), the reality is that they had one of the top ranked defenses in the country in 2011 and 2012. Kelly is an offensive minded coach, so much credit for the turnaround of the most storied program in college sports, went to their very young DC, Bob Diaco. He was a finalist for Broyles award as top assistant in 2011 and won it in 2012. He was much in the news when ND played in the NC game (and got crushed). His first (only) year as DC at Cincinatti was 2009, and they went 12-1, losing only to Florida in the Sugar Bowl.

Despite many openings last year, he didn't land one, although he was a hot name. I think it was partly due to his age (under 40 then) and relative lack of experience. If I had to sum it up, he's a guy who many think has the youth, energy and football smarts to be one of the next great coaches in the game, but who hadn't quite done it long enough for the bigger programs to pull the trigger and make him a HC. The last hire we got a guy with loads of experience and not much talent. This time we got a guy with loads of talent and not much experience.

He's still got to prove that he can win as HC, but there is every reason to be excited that he can be not just good, but very good. I said before, this hire, this job is a high risk, high reward position. The ceiling is pretty high and the floor is pretty low. We absolutely needed to take a chance on a guy who could be what Calhoun and Geno have been, a young guy with a limitless ceiling. That's exactly what we got. Now the fun begins as we find out what he can do.

Reaction Score
He's still got to prove that he can win as HC, but there is every reason to be excited that he can be not just good, but very good. I said before, this hire, this job is a high risk, high reward position. The ceiling is pretty high and the floor is pretty low. We absolutely needed to take a chance on a guy who could be what Calhoun and Geno have been, a young guy with a limitless ceiling. That's exactly what we got. Now the fun begins as we find out what he can do.
From what I am being told by someone in the business, we're set to go for a while. Good hire, very-well respected, loved by players, etc, etc, etc. At the very least, he won't be PP-GDL. But I don't see how he can do worse than Edsall. If he does, no one will want to hire him as a HC. I hope he wins and stays for more than 2-3 years or sticks with us if we get into the ACC or the B1G. This program can become his "baby", instead of Edsall's.

As stated before, best prospective coach we've ever hired. If there's no "hype" in that, life must be dull.

Reaction Score
The oilmen are buying Rolls Royces and Lamborghinis now. You are falling behind.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Well this might be the dumbest post of the week. I'm asking for info dumba$$

They have a thing called google not sure how hard it is to google his name and look up his info.

There are enough links here to get a good idea who he is and what he is about.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
From what I am being told by someone in the business, we're set to go for a while. Good hire, very-well respected, loved by players, etc, etc, etc. At the very least, he won't be PP-GDL. But I don't see how he can do worse than Edsall. If he does, no one will want to hire him as a HC. I hope he wins and stays for more than 2-3 years or sticks with us if we get into the ACC or the B1G. This program can become his "baby", instead of Edsall's.

As stated before, best prospective coach we've ever hired. If there's no "hype" in that, life must be dull.

That's pretty much it. The potential for greatness is there, and long term if we remain attractive enough as an employer (conference change). The best PP could ever hope to achieve was short term competence. That was his ceiling, and the reason he was an atrocious hire. He didn't even manage competence.

Reaction Score
Well this might be the dumbest post of the week. I'm asking for info dumba$$
it's widely viewed by the entire college football world as a great hire by uconn. certainly there are some people that had other candidates as a better choice. but for the most part, Diaco is considered one of the better, up and coming coaches and has received recognition for his success. and he's now the coach at uconn.

if you are just asking for information, i would just ask for information. your post comes across as the typical, 'if we didn't hire Saban', metality.

nothing is guaranteed. but uconn with this hire is getting a ton of positive PR and getting recognized by the media for this move.

a very very very small minority are suggesting this isn't a great hire.

curiously, what name in your mind would have been a great hire. and please don't suggest narduzzi or lembo.

Reaction Score
Hey, the BY is a brutal place, and when you make statements you better be prepared to think about what is coming back at you. You had to know you were going to get slaughtered, and with good reason. So, I suspect you enjoy getting the kicked out of you.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I am claiming ignorance. I dont know why he is such a big deal. Just calling it as I see it. Hey, I'm happy Coach P is gone. This guys seems like an upgrade for sure. I just dont understand why everyone is all like "OMG!" we got Diaco

The AD went out and got a young energetic guy from a Major BCS player that was objectively named the best assistant in all of college football last year. Given the hiring we saw previous to this...Do I need to keep going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom