What is Ollie doing? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What is Ollie doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Ollie has no idea who is showing up on what night. Brimah was a hugh loss. Brimah allowed for Gibbs and DHam to play really poor defense.
Ollie has said it a dozen times. He has no Alpha dog. No one he can depend on to take over the game and run the offense.

Reaction Score
Ollie has no idea who is showing up on what night. Brimah was a hugh loss. Brimah allowed for Gibbs and DHam to play really poor defense.
Ollie has said it a dozen times. He has no Alpha dog. No one he can depend on to take over the game and run the offense.

Temple got 55 tonight. Huge loss tonight - NO.

But agree on inconsistency of the players. People need to be held accountable and as said, look in the mirror.

Reaction Score
Anyone on this board could have pressed the right button that year: "Shabazz..take over." Everyone else: "make your foul shots"

Possibly the dumbest post in BY history, and that's saying something.

You think Payne floating on the perimeter and Florida's power forwards ending up with the ball all night happened by accident?

Reaction Score
I am mostly puzzled by two things -

1) His substitutions. They seem to happen for the sake of happening and there is no rhyme or reason for them. And then he becomes absorbed in the game and forgets what's on the bench - Adams and Purvis were off the court way, way too long tonight.

2) When the team is crumbling, he seems to be the last person to realize it.

Overall, I think the problem is that he has little feel for the game....which is insane given his playing career.
YES as most of it was from the bench! Observe, play a little, observe, play a little etc. ......

Reaction Score
Did Ollie outcoach them, or did Shabazz bail us out every freaking game?
Sure Bazs bailed him out often, that's what great players do but Ollie also coached circles around those coaches in that tournament. The games against MSU and Florida were two of the best defensive games I've ever seen Uconn play, absolute masterpieces. While I've seen troubling things and this team looks really confused I'm far from giving up on him because I remember a time not that long ago where he didn't look like a deer caught in the headlights on the sideline.

Reaction Score
I am mostly puzzled by two things -

1) His substitutions. They seem to happen for the sake of happening and there is no rhyme or reason for them. And then he becomes absorbed in the game and forgets what's on the bench - Adams and Purvis were off the court way, way too long tonight.

2) When the team is crumbling, he seems to be the last person to realize it.

Overall, I think the problem is that he has little feel for the game....which is insane given his playing career.

Agree.

Some of this has to fall on the assistant coaches also.
It's mind boggling

Reaction Score
Crazy idea but could it be these players just arent as good as we all seem to think they are? Seriously ask yourself how many of these guys do you see in the NBA? 2 (Dham,JA)maybe? Of those two neither seem like they can be high level NBA players although it remains to be seen what Adams turns into. This team seems to be filled with solid bench guys who happen to start because its what we have. Purv,Gibbs,Facey,AB all seem like really solid guys you could bring off the bench but not guys you want playing 30+ minutes. Dham and Miller are the only legit starters on this team and neither of those guys are THE guy types.

Reaction Score
Crazy idea but could it be these players just arent as good as we all seem to think they are? Seriously ask yourself how many of these guys do you see in the NBA? 2 (Dham,JA)maybe? Of those two neither seem like they can be high level NBA players although it remains to be seen what Adams turns into. This team seems to be filled with solid bench guys who happen to start because its what we have. Purv,Gibbs,Facey,AB all seem like really solid guys you could bring off the bench but not guys you want playing 30+ minutes. Dham and Miller are the only legit starters on this team and neither of those guys are THE guy types.
Sorry but the lacking talent thing no longer flies. Hamilton, Purvis and Adams are all 5 star players, Enoch and Facey are 4 stars, Brimah is out and has never developed offensively but he remains one of the best shotblockers in the country, Omar was a borderline 5 star recruit, Gibbs was an all Big East player last year and Miller is an NBA type athlete. That argument could work last year when we were young and depending on guys like Samuel, Cassell and Lubin to be key contributors but it's a bullspit argument this year.

Reaction Score
Sorry but the lacking talent thing no longer flies. Hamilton, Purvis and Adams are all 5 star players, Enoch and Facey are 4 stars, Brimah is out and has never developed offensively but he remains one of the best shotblockers in the country, Omar was a borderline 5 star recruit, Gibbs was an all Big East player last year and Miller is an NBA type athlete. That argument could work last year when we were young and depending on guys like Samuel, Cassell and Lubin to be key contributors but it's a bullspit argument this year.
Stars dont mean jackspit once you step on the floor on the college level. Get out of here with that. Adams and Enoch get a pass for now because they are freshmen.

Reaction Score
Possibly the dumbest post in BY history, and that's saying something.

You think Payne floating on the perimeter and Florida's power forwards ending up with the ball all night happened by accident?
Apparrently you're too dumb to understand sarcasm. Shabazz had an otherworldly run in the NCAA to will that team to the Championship. There is no denying that Ollie has had some head scratching games this year w tonight being Exhibit A and the asinine T against Maryland being Exhibit B. Hard to call great players making great plays good coaching but giving a pass on screwing up extremely fundamental things like not using your foul to give. That is poor coaching, pure and simple.....there is NO other acceptable explanation.

Reaction Score
TheChamps990411 said:
Stars dont mean jackspit once you step on the floor on the college level. Get out of here with that. Adams and Enoch get a pass for now because they are freshmen.

Hardooooo

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
When we get a decommit?

I think most of our recruits have a much more positive view of the program than anyone on this board. Completely different mindset.

Then again, you're the one who posted that people will soon be citing Duke as the team who won 5 in 5 at MSG/played in the 6 OT game, so I'm not surprised.
You are right, it was a ridiculous thing to say, I was caught up in the heat of the loss. I'll take an L for that one.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You are right, it was a ridiculous thing to say, I was caught up in the heat of the loss. I'll take an L for that one.

No worries. Happens to all of us. Hell, I got banned for a night after one of the football games this year...

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
When Brimah went down it appears he took 25% of DHam's game with him.
Those assists and easy dunks made DHam's adventures into the lane worthwhile.
Now, teams just clog the lane leaving him no room to operate.
The NCAA committee will take Brimah's absence into account in the spring.
Facey may be beginning his mid-season swoon, again. Facey can not score if teams are paying any attention to him.
Gibbs made 2nd team all Big East. This must have been a plot to destroy UConn.
It's not the fact that he can't dribble when guarded nor the fact he can't finish at the rim; it's the fact that this three point shooting ace is never ready to shoot when the ball is swung his way that drives me insane. Why does he think he is out there? For his defense?
Purvis has played very well and has been carrying this team for stretches, but he needs to protect the ball in the open court.
Miller has played very well.
Why are we not looking for Calhoun when he enters the game for a three?
Adams has been more aggressive of late. Maybe, he has begun to realize that the opportunity to star is waiting for him to take it.
Nolan has one positive play in him a night. It is up to Ollie to find it.
Ollie needs to run plays for this team.
Gibbs has got this walking the ball up the court and bouncing a pass that puts the
receiver out of position thing down pat.
But Gibbs can shoot foul shots and so can DHam, which is why Ollie has to play them.
Now, if we can get Enoch out of that one second reaction delay....

Reaction Score
I had a chance to sleep it off (3 hours is all I could manage) and honestly I feel worse. WTF kind of coaching was that KO? Poor substitutions, poor game management, poor body language, and poor pace of play. Also, poor plaid jacket coach. Vegas had the point total at 140 and we finished 32 points under that. Guessing Fran's coaching and our atrocious offensive sets had something to do with that slow down pace. For the life of me I can't understand why Jalen wasn't out there at the end. He willed us back when we were in a tight spot so let's bench him and go to Nolan?? Hamilton would've been planted right on the bench had JC been in there. The only guys that wanted to play tonight were Enoch, Adams and Miller so let's not give them any touches down the stretch.

Reaction Score
I had a chance to sleep it off (3 hours is all I could manage) and honestly I feel worse. WTF kind of coaching was that KO? Poor substitutions, poor game management, poor body language, and poor pace of play. Also, poor plaid jacket coach. Vegas had the point total at 140 and we finished 32 points under that. Guessing Fran's coaching and our atrocious offensive sets had something to do with that slow down pace. For the life of me I can't understand why Jalen wasn't out there at the end. He willed us back when we were in a tight spot so let's bench him and go to Nolan?? Hamilton would've been planted right on the bench had JC been in there. The only guys that wanted to play tonight were Enoch, Adams and Miller so let's not give them any touches down the stretch.

That jacket was an interesting choice. I knew it was going to a tough night when I first saw it.

Reaction Score
It would seem the team has regressed to mimick some UC teams of yor that stand around the perif with their thumbs up their butts while 1 guy dribbles the clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom