What Irritates You Most About Announcers? | The Boneyard

What Irritates You Most About Announcers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I have found it ridiculous when they say "she protected the shot with the rim." How often do players really use the rim to protect their shots since most of them play way below the rim. I can't say that I have ever seen a shot in women's basketball protected by the rim as that would mean that a player was shooting right at the rim and that the defender also has the ability to get up at the rim to block the shot.

I also find excessive enthusiasm to be annoying and how some of them (Doris Burke) latch on to themes for a game that they just keep spewing out the entire game.

When I listen to the NBA announcers they just seem to be on a different level than what we get in WBB.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Lack of knowledge about the rules. That's the most irritating to me.

Reaction Score
High pitched shouting, over excitement at relatively mundane plays, constant talking (Doris, yes I mean you), discussing shopping while game going on.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It always irritates me when they don't call the game, and spend most of
their time yakking about anecdotal and media guide material.

And that is so prevalent in WBB. And it is never told just once...it is every broadcast. I think EDD's story is very touching but good lord I got tired of hearing it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And that is so prevalent in WBB. And it is never told just once...it is every broadcast. I think EDD's story is very touching but good lord I got tired of hearing it.
Did you know Kara Lawson played football with boys?

(just in case you hadn't heard that :rolleyes:)

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
It always irritates me when they don't call the game, and spend most of
their time yakking about anecdotal and media guide material.

agreed, hands down number one pet peeve. Add to that not knowing the teams about whom they are commentating, mispronouncing the names, obvious one sided preference, and yes, not knowing the rules.

Even when the game is long decided, or the "stars" are on the bench, I still want to know who fouled whom, foul count, stats for the folks on the floor - I still want to hear the game. I resent that when the announcers have stopped watching the game, they think that the viewers have also done so.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I also find excessive enthusiasm to be annoying and how some of them (Doris Burke) latch on to themes for a game that they just keep spewing out the entire game.

Bingo! Doris's announcing has deteriorated because of the above and her comportment. Lately, she makes me want to knock three times on the pipe when she is assigned to coverage.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I get irritated when they talk about players or teams who aren't even playing the game they are calling. I always feel that broadcasted games are so exciting for the players themselves and for the families of the players as well as friends, but if the announcers, as in last seasons when they would bring up BG, it really took away from the special moment for the players in the game that all deserve some attention.

I also get irritated when Rebecca Lobo isn't one of the announcers.

Reaction Score
OK, I realize that this is, after all, a forum about women's basketball, so I can understand the focus on Doris, but in the Hall of Fame of Irritating Commentators, Doris is a minor leaguer compared to Mary Carillo (Wimbledon coming up!) whose fundamental approach to the microphone is based on the philosophy that seven seconds of blessed silence are seven seconds too many!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Bingo! Doris's announcing has deteriorated because of the above and her comportment. Lately, she makes me want to knock three times on the pipe when she is assigned to coverage.
I believe it's twice on the pipe if the answer is no. (unless you are talking about some other kind of pipe :eek:)

Reaction Score

I also dislike commentators whose name rhymes with a female body part (DB)!

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
listening to them

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I believe it's twice on the pipe if the answer is no. (unless you are talking about some other kind of pipe :eek:)

So irritating I keep trying to block it out.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So irritating I keep trying to block it out.
LOL. Still better than Nicki Minaj.

(I've heard the other kind of pipe will block out lots of stuff....just sayin' :cool:)

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I also get irritated when Rebecca Lobo isn't one of the announcers.
at one time I really liked Rebecca Lobo on the mic but lately she has drunk the ESPN over the top Kool Aid and has become very annoying

Believe it or not I prefer Kara Lawson to Rebecca Lobo...

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Doris. Listen up. Stewie has a 7' 1" wingspan, and not the wingspan of a 7' 1" player. Comport yourself properly and stop reporting the two versions of Stewie's wingspan throughout the game.

The very example of "annoying" I was thinking of. Very frequent, highly annoying.

Reaction Score
at one time I really liked Rebecca Lobo on the mic but lately she has drunk the ESPN over the top Kool Aid and has become very annoying

That is because Kara is a MUCH better analyst and announcer. Unfortunately, Rebecca is using Doris Burke, who has deteriorated badly over the years, as a model. Kara just calls the game and doesn't spend time on the personal crap.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Carolyn Peck drives me batty! She may have been a good coach (unsure of her record), but as an announcer she is AWFUL! Thankfully, they hired Kara to pick up her slack. Can't help but love Rebecca eventhough I do agree with what some of you are saying.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

I can see that. I actually like Kara Lawson as well. But I can see what you mean with Rebecca. I still enjoy her most of the time.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
LOL. Still better than Nicki Minaj.

(I've heard the other kind of pipe will block out lots of stuff....just sayin' :cool:)
Who's Nicki Minaj?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer