What impact will Maine game have on realignment? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What impact will Maine game have on realignment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
No more effect than Colorado State getting their butts kicked last night by Colorado.

Reaction Score
I guess Houston with its strong defeat Saturday against Oklahoma did not want to play in Diaco's words after the Maine game "A lot of fun, [a] very exciting game." Instead, Houston proved it belonged in the B12. Unless Univ. Texas does not want the competition, that may mean one less spot open to UConn.

Reaction Score
It helps only if football games are the sole criteria. If so, then you are correct.

Reaction Score
The Maine game doesn't hurt UConn but the Oklahoma win surely helps Houston.

You can also look at it from another point of view. A powerful Houston Program with Herman able to sell P5 Membership could be very bad for recruiting for everybody not named Texas or OU. Maybe even a little for them too. The right coach with resources at his disposal could build a powerhouse strictly recruiting the best players within a 50 mile radius of campus. If I'm a program like Texas Tech, struggling to be relevant, am I inviting a sleeping giant who could hasten my own demise?

Reaction Score
. If I'm a program like Texas Tech, struggling to be relevant, am I inviting a sleeping giant who could hasten my own demise?

If Houston is indeed a sleeping giant, then it could help the B12 survive. Does Tex Tech want to be a weak team in a P5 conference or a strong team in a G5?

Fear is not usually a good reason for decision making.

Reaction Score
If Houston is indeed a sleeping giant, then it could help the B12 survive. Does Tex Tech want to be a weak team in a P5 conference or a strong team in a G5?

BC blackballed us because we beat them 20-something straight times and they wanted to be New England's team.

It would be nice to benefit from that dynamic on the other side for a change.

Reaction Score
You can also look at it from another point of view. A powerful Houston Program with Herman able to sell P5 Membership could be very bad for recruiting for everybody not named Texas or OU. Maybe even a little for them too. The right coach with resources at his disposal could build a powerhouse strictly recruiting the best players within a 50 mile radius of campus. If I'm a program like Texas Tech, struggling to be relevant, am I inviting a sleeping giant who could hasten my own demise?
You get stronger by inviting superior teams. No way around that. Were the weaker programs in the Big Ten trying to keep Penn State and Nebraska out?

Reaction Score
You get stronger by inviting superior teams. Were the weaker programs in the Big Ten trying to keep Penn State and Nebraska out?
No, but when it came to inviting Rutgers, some of the same metrics that make us valuable drove the bus and the rationale made enough sense to enough schools to invite them.

Reaction Score
The win at ranked Louisville 48 hours before the last ACC expansion vote had a HUGE impact.

I agree that one game without context will make little difference in CR.

Good win that UConn had over Louisville...but there was also other context...the UConn losses in the season games leading up to that win....losses to NC State, Western Michigan, Rutgers, Temple, Syracuse, and South Florida.

I agree that one game won't make much difference...it takes a trending.

Reaction Score

I agree that fear is not a good reason for making decisions, however conference realignment history is littered with decisions predicated by it.

Reaction Score
You get stronger by inviting superior teams. No way around that. Were the weaker programs in the Big Ten trying to keep Penn State and Nebraska out?

Obviously they were not trying to keep PSU or UNL out, but you can't compare the decision making of strong united conference, versus one with a fractured membership promoting 10 different agendas.

To me the no brainer addition would be UH, BYU, Cincy, and UConn. That said I don't think the leadership of The Big 12 could agree on ordering a pizza let alone on adding 4 teams to their conference. Hell there are probably schools that want a Rice or Tulane with others who prefer a school like Memphis.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I guess Houston with its strong defeat Saturday against Oklahoma did not want to play in Diaco's words after the Maine game "A lot of fun, [a] very exciting game." Instead, Houston proved it belonged in the B12. Unless Univ. Texas does not want the competition, that may mean one less spot open to UConn.
Or it may mean that the Big 12 will expand by 4, which helps UConn's chances. I can't see the non-Texas schools allowing their voting power to be further diluted.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the problem with the amount of fans at a game as the conference is not making money off of that. The money is in the cable boxes, as RU proved.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the teams of the middle to the back half of the Big 12 want another possible front half team to push them them further back?

If I were Kansas, ISU, WVU, Texas Tech, KSU...I might not want a "hot up and coming" add.

Reaction Score
Or it may mean that the Big 12 will expand by 4, which helps UConn's chances. I can't see the non-Texas schools allowing their voting power to be further diluted.

By add 4, they sort of keep everyone happy. The only way to keep North schools happy is to add 3 non-Texas schools besides Houston.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the teams of the middle to the back half of the Big 12 want another possible front half team to push them them further back?

If I were Kansas, ISU, WVU, Texas Tech, KSU...I might not want a "hot up and coming" add.

See my post above.

If I were Iowa st et al , I'd be concerned with trying to survive if and when Oklahoma bolts. ... If Houston is gonna be a rising power - and that's a huge huge if - I'd want them to help anchor the future conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom