What I'm thankful for this year (UCONN version) | The Boneyard

What I'm thankful for this year (UCONN version)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
As we coast into the end of 2019, I just wanted to reflect a little bit on why I'm so thankful to be a UCONN fan, this year, and every year.

11 recruits in 8 months
It started with Paige Bueckers on April Fool's Day, no less. In no particular order, Westbrook, Adebayo, Makurat, Muhl, McLean ,Gabriel, Edwards, Poffenbarger, DeBerry, and Brady. 4 of them are top 5. 2 of them are (or should be) top 10 (Edwards, Muhl), 4 of them are (or should be) top 20 (Makurat, Griffin, McLean, Poffenbarger). Just insane recruiting on the staff's part. NO ONE in all of WCBB has recruited better. Not a single program. I'm thrilled we will be bad for WCBB very soon again.​
Megan Walker
Playing not only like a 1st team AA, but like the best player in the entire nation. So proud of all the hard work she's done and the struggles she's gone thru to get to where she is right now. She is a joy to watch. She's like a quiet assassin. Her points are not "loud". You look up at the scoreboard in the 4th quarter and she's gotten 20 points and 10 rebounds and you think "when did she do all that??" Huskies Wall of Honor, baby!!​

Olivia Nelson-Ododa (NOT Ododo, Andy Landers) :rolleyes:
The kid stayed home for most of the summer, worked her butt off on her game, fitness and strength, and it's paying off. Sure Oklahoma was over-matched by her size, but not only did she have a career day in production, but it was the first game I saw her consistently get the ball and attack the basket. The only time she faded away was when she was double teamed. We've seen the sophomore leap we all hoped for. Such a bright future.​

Crystal Dangerfield
Thankful that she seems to be 100% healthy. I do love the ball in her hands. Usually makes really good decisions. I really would like her to end her career with a NC. Since our class of 2005 (Montgomery, etc), NO UCONN player has gone thru her 4 years without a NC. The 2005 class won the NC their senior year in 2009. I'm hoping Crystal continues that trend. Odds are she won't, but you know she's going to give all she has. Just love that kid...​

Kyla Irwin
Normally I'd lump her in with Molly, but not this year! Kid has EARNED a starting spot on the roster. She's solid, consistent, and has learned to do no more than what she's capable of, and what she CAN do she does very well. Not only is she steady, but she's a leader. I see a long career of coaching in her future if she's interested in that career path.​

Molly Bent
Much like Kyla - has come into her own. I say this with love, but no longer do I flinch when she comes on the court and gets the ball in her hands. She's making really good decisions this year, taking shots when open, distributing the ball nicely, and playing solid defense. So happy for her and proud of her.​

Anna Makurat
Poor kid started off the season 0-America. It was funny and probably led to Anna losing her starting spot and coming off the bench. Maybe too much stress and pressure being a starter. But now she's upped her scoring average to over 4 PPG. Her 3 point shooting is just a shade under 30%. She's averaging 4 boards per game and 2.6 assists per game. I think she sees the floor as good as any freshman I've ever seen. IMHO, she will never be "great" at any one thing, but will be really really good at just about everything. Reminds me a bit of a guard version of Morgan Tuck.​

Aubrey Griffin
More than perhaps any other player, she seems to be making a case for more minutes. 27 points against Seton Hall, another 14 against Oklahoma (in 13 minutes). I think she's learning to do on the floor only that which she does really well (unlike some players who try to do too much). That means play great defense, use her athleticism on the boards, and score when the opportunity presents itself. Her 16 steals are 2nd only to Crystal's 17, and Aubrey averages less than half the minutes/game (16 vs. 37). Can you imagine what her sophomore leap will be like??!!​

Christyn Williams
I left her for towards the bottom because she's the only one whose play has disappointed me this year. Sure she's 2nd on the team in scoring, but she disappears for such long stretches in games that you almost forget she's on the floor. I think part of the issue is that she spent the entire summer traveling with various USA teams, which is a great experience for her, but not great experience for her game. ONO stayed home and worked on strength, fitness, and her game. Look at what she's showing. IMHO Christyn will get it - I hope that the extended layoff for December lets her do some of her "hoops homework" on her game so she becomes the type of player who "could" take over a game at any moment. She has that much potential. If not this year, watch out next year. AA and NPOY potential.​

Camara and Adebayo
I feel for Batouly - her injuries - I know she's a great teammate and am sure she's enjoying her time on the Huskies, but it's got to be frustrating for her. I hope she is able to come back and contribute something the 2nd half of the season. As for Evelyn - I'm thankful she chose to come to UCONN - at the time as fans, we knew we sorely needed some post help. I'm disappointed that she's not been able to provide useful minutes off the bench. I hope that changes in the 2nd half too.​
Evina Westbrook
I'm thankful she chose to come to UCONN. Of course disappointed for her in the NCAA, and agree with Geno that any kid who wants to transfer should be allowed to do so ONCE and be able to play immediately. 2nd transfer, they have to sit out. Regardless, kid was #2 in her class behind her good friend Megan and I'm looking forward to a really good year from her next season. We learned that the staff didn't spend a lot of time with Stevens in her redshirt year and it took her much of the season to acclimate, never getting fully comfortable in the post and leaving after only 1 year. I hope the staff learned from that and is working with Evina differently.​

The coaching staff
Not sure what the 11 recruits in 8 months is a result of. I know CD said people don't realize how hard the staff works. Were the high profile misses the last 2 years just a cycle, and now we are in an upswing, or is it something else? Are we seeing the Jas Lister effect? Geno REALLY wanted her when Marissa left. She's young, smart, was a great hoops player, and relates well to the high school girls that we are recruiting. Whatever the reason, I'm super thankful that the team Geno has working with him is so darn good - recruiting, developing, coaching, etc etc. The complete package. Best in the business. And the recruits KNOW it. The path to the WNBA, professional basketball, and the US National team goes thru STORRS, not some other random school. ;)

So I'm thankful for the bounty that is UCONN WCBB. Since 1995, for the past 24 years, UCONN has won 11 NC's. Almost half. Not only is it the NC's, but the final 4's, BET and AAC championships, etc etc. And the staff has recruited some of the most amazing girls and young women to come to a former agricultural college in the middle of nowhere, and turn Storrs in to the women's college basketball capital of the world. We are the most blessed fans in the country!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As we coast into the end of 2019, I just wanted to reflect a little bit on why I'm so thankful to be a UCONN fan, this year, and every year.

11 recruits in 8 months
It started with Paige Bueckers on April Fool's Day, no less. In no particular order, Westbrook, Adebayo, Makurat, Muhl, McLean ,Gabriel, Edwards, Poffenbarger, DeBerry, and Brady. 4 of them are top 5. 2 of them are (or should be) top 10 (Edwards, Muhl), 4 of them are (or should be) top 20 (Makurat, Griffin, McLean, Poffenbarger). Just insane recruiting on the staff's part. NO ONE in all of WCBB has recruited better. Not a single program. I'm thrilled we will be bad for WCBB very soon again.​
Megan Walker
Playing not only like a 1st team AA, but like the best player in the entire nation. So proud of all the hard work she's done and the struggles she's gone thru to get to where she is right now. She is a joy to watch. She's like a quiet assassin. Her points are not "loud". You look up at the scoreboard in the 4th quarter and she's gotten 20 points and 10 rebounds and you think "when did she do all that??" Huskies Wall of Honor, baby!!​

The kid stayed home for most of the summer, worked her butt off on her game, fitness and strength, and it's paying off. Sure Oklahoma was over-matched by her size, but not only did she have a career day in production, but it was the first game I saw her consistently get the ball and attack the basket. The only time she faded away was when she was double teamed. We've seen the sophomore leap we all hoped for. Such a bright future.​

Crystal Dangerfield
Thankful that she seems to be 100% healthy. I do love the ball in her hands. Usually makes really good decisions. I really would like her to end her career with a NC. Since our class of 2005 (Montgomery, etc), NO UCONN player has gone thru her 4 years without a NC. The 2005 class won the NC their senior year in 2009. I'm hoping Crystal continues that trend. Odds are she won't, but you know she's going to give all she has. Just love that kid...​

Kyla Irwin
Normally I'd lump her in with Molly, but not this year! Kid has EARNED a starting spot on the roster. She's solid, consistent, and has learned to do no more than what she's capable of, and what she CAN do she does very well. Not only is she steady, but she's a leader. I see a long career of coaching in her future if she's interested in that career path.​

Molly Bent
Much like Kyla - has come into her own. I say this with love, but no longer do I flinch when she comes on the court and gets the ball in her hands. She's making really good decisions this year, taking shots when open, distributing the ball nicely, and playing solid defense. So happy for her and proud of her.​

Anna Makurat
Poor kid started off the season 0-America. It was funny and probably led to Anna losing her starting spot and coming off the bench. Maybe too much stress and pressure being a starter. But now she's upped her scoring average to over 4 PPG. Her 3 point shooting is just a shade under 30%. She's averaging 4 boards per game and 2.6 assists per game. I think she sees the floor as good as any freshman I've ever seen. IMHO, she will never be "great" at any one thing, but will be really really good at just about everything. Reminds me a bit of a guard version of Morgan Tuck.​

Aubrey Griffin
More than perhaps any other player, she seems to be making a case for more minutes. 27 points against Seton Hall, another 14 against Oklahoma (in 13 minutes). I think she's learning to do on the floor only that which she does really well (unlike some players who try to do too much). That means play great defense, use her athleticism on the boards, and score when the opportunity presents itself. Her 16 steals are 2nd only to Crystal's 17, and Aubrey averages less than half the minutes/game (16 vs. 37). Can you imagine what her sophomore leap will be like??!!​

Christyn Williams
I left her for towards the bottom because she's the only one whose play has disappointed me this year. Sure she's 2nd on the team in scoring, but she disappears for such long stretches in games that you almost forget she's on the floor. I think part of the issue is that she spent the entire summer traveling with various USA teams, which is a great experience for her, but not great experience for her game. ONO stayed home and worked on strength, fitness, and her game. Look at what she's showing. IMHO Christyn will get it - I hope that the extended layoff for December lets her do some of her "hoops homework" on her game so she becomes the type of player who "could" take over a game at any moment. She has that much potential. If not this year, watch out next year. AA and NPOY potential.​

Camara and Adebayo
I feel for Batouly - her injuries - I know she's a great teammate and am sure she's enjoying her time on the Huskies, but it's got to be frustrating for her. I hope she is able to come back and contribute something the 2nd half of the season. As for Evelyn - I'm thankful she chose to come to UCONN - at the time as fans, we knew we sorely needed some post help. I'm disappointed that she's not been able to provide useful minutes off the bench. I hope that changes in the 2nd half too.​
Evina Westbrook
I'm thankful she chose to come to UCONN. Of course disappointed for her in the NCAA, and agree with Geno that any kid who wants to transfer should be allowed to do so ONCE and be able to play immediately. 2nd transfer, they have to sit out. Regardless, kid was #2 in her class behind her good friend Megan and I'm looking forward to a really good year from her next season. We learned that the staff didn't spend a lot of time with Stevens in her redshirt year and it took her much of the season to acclimate, never getting fully comfortable in the post and leaving after only 1 year. I hope the staff learned from that and is working with Evina differently.​

The coaching staff
Not sure what the 11 recruits in 8 months is a result of. I know CD said people don't realize how hard the staff works. Were the high profile misses the last 2 years just a cycle, and now we are in an upswing, or is it something else? Are we seeing the Jas Lister effect? Geno REALLY wanted her when Marissa left. She's young, smart, was a great hoops player, and relates well to the high school girls that we are recruiting. Whatever the reason, I'm super thankful that the team Geno has working with him is so darn good - recruiting, developing, coaching, etc etc. The complete package. Best in the business. And the recruits KNOW it. The path to the WNBA, professional basketball, and the US National team goes thru STORRS, not some other random school. ;)

So I'm thankful for the bounty that is UCONN WCBB. Since 1995, for the past 24 years, UCONN has won 11 NC's. Almost half. Not only is it the NC's, but the final 4's, BET and AAC championships, etc etc. And the staff has recruited some of the most amazing girls and young women to come to a former agricultural college in the middle of nowhere, and turn Storrs in to the women's college basketball capital of the world. We are the most blessed fans in the country!
I agree on most but disagree on 2 but only to this extent: They are both, Ania and Aubrey, Freshmen neither arrived at top in their class. Then, GREATNESS is often in the eyes of the beholder. Whether Aubrey is an AA or Ania is not is a bit more for bragging right than being a TOP UConn player. I don't need to see a name hanging from rafters to say---That was a great Uconn player. Beyond DT or Sue I couldn't name 3 on those rafter it means that little to me. When they are playing I know what I see and I often don't agree with the AA selections.
One MORE: Molly "got it" in one or 2 games this far this year. When the chips were down and she MUST perform at a higher level MOLLY performed at that level. Like you I am thrilled Kyla has excelled in most games and has not reverted to the form we THOUGHT we saw previously. Not one kid on this team does NOT belong.

Reaction Score
I agree on most but disagree on 2 but only to this extent: They are both, Ania and Aubrey, Freshmen neither arrived at top in their class. Then, GREATNESS is often in the eyes of the beholder. Whether Aubrey is an AA or Ania is not is a bit more for bragging right than being a TOP UConn player. I don't need to see a name hanging from rafters to say---That was a great Uconn player. Beyond DT or Sue I couldn't name 3 on those rafter it means that little to me. When they are playing I know what I see and I often don't agree with the AA selections.
One MORE: Molly "got it" in one or 2 games this far this year. When the chips were down and she MUST perform at a higher level MOLLY performed at that level. Like you I am thrilled Kyla has excelled in most games and has not reverted to the form we THOUGHT we saw previously. Not one kid on this team does NOT belong.
Excellent post

Reaction Score

11 recruits in 8 months
Megan Walker

Crystal Dangerfield

Kyla Irwin

Molly Bent

Anna Makurat

Aubrey Griffin

Christyn Williams

Camara and Adebayo
Evina Westbrook

The coaching staff

Nice summary and thanks for organizing it so concisely, EricLA.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Beyond DT or Sue I couldn't name 3 on those rafter it means that little to me.

4ceau.jpg

UCONN fan, right???

Not even a WAG???

Stewart, Moore, Charles, Lobo, Wolters, Rizzotti, none of the NPOY's ring a bell????

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="EricLA, post: 3377108, member: 26
The coaching staff
Not sure what the 11 recruits in 8 months is a result of. I know CD said people don't realize how hard the staff works. Were the high profile misses the last 2 years just a cycle, and now we are in an upswing, or is it something else? Are we seeing the Jas Lister effect? Geno REALLY wanted her when Marissa left. She's young, smart, was a great hoops player, and relates well to the high school girls that we are recruiting.​

[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing Eric
She's awfully quiet when we see her on the bench.
I know we're not supposed to speculate; but she could very well
be our "ace"in the recruiting hole, similar to the role Niele Ivey played at ND.
And look where they're at without her (no speculation here).

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

11 recruits in 8 months
Megan Walker

Crystal Dangerfield

Kyla Irwin

Molly Bent

Anna Makurat

Aubrey Griffin

Christyn Williams

Camara and Adebayo
Evina Westbrook

The coaching staff

Excellent analysis as usual Eric. Entertaining and informative. I’m jealous that I didn’t write this. :D

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
First post, very thankful I found this board. Ex-coach (HS) who has enjoyed reading for a bout a year.

Hi, welcome to the Boneyard Littlemin. We’re always glad to welcome former lurkers to the yard. Don’t be shy about commenting or posting. If you follow the rules for posting (by moderator HuskyNan) you’ll be fine. Since you’re a former bb coach, you have insight and actual coaching experience most of us don’t. We look forward to hearing from you this season.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Great post Eric. Hope to see you come out here in March .

Reaction Score
Anna Makurat

I agree with everything but ;)...seeing the floor and passing should be considered that "one thing". She is going to create so many open looks for others in her career. I can't wait.

Reaction Score
4ceau.jpg

UCONN fan, right???

Not even a WAG???

Stewart, Moore, Charles, Lobo, Wolters, Rizzotti, none of the NPOY's ring a bell????
For 60 plus years! I love the players not the awards. Those are so far down the list of accomplishment they matter little to REAL FANs. Enjoy your holidays.

Reaction Score
This is UConn. Any other team would be over the roof to have freshmen Anna and Aubrey. They are different but equal talents; they are a KLS and Pheesa in many respects, though Anna is a far better defender than Lou. When Anna limits her unselfish passes and shoots more and Aubrey figures out it is a team game, these two will make it tough for incoming recruits to get minutes.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
For 60 plus years! I love the players not the awards. Those are so far down the list of accomplishment they matter little to REAL FANs. Enjoy your holidays.
That's fine, we all love the players. But admitting to having no concept of who the players are or what they've done/accomplished, seems odd for a, as you say, "real fan".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom