What Im looking for in tonites game | The Boneyard

What Im looking for in tonites game

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I would expect the team to run players for anybody other then our Core 4. Irwin Makurat and Griffin need to score and combined imo they need to contribute on the offensive end 12 pts. The foul shooting and layups will take care of themselves. Im hoping we dont get any southern cooking from the refs. Im expected a much better showing then the Cal game. When everything comes together UConn should be scoring alot of points. What I saw was some rushed shots, and playing out of sync...ala lack of poise. We need to slow it down and execute and not so much one on one. This is a game imo we should win by 15+ easily and 25+ would be very good. 25+ would show us we have arrived. As fans we are not used to this. We are used to 40 pt blowouts. That could happen once we get a few games under our belt and convert foul shots, layups, and other then our core 4..that 5th postion scores 12+ pts a game. Against Cal our Core 4 scored 70 of the 72 pts. That needs to change tonite and thats why I feel Geno will run a couple of plays to get our 5th postion players going.

Reaction Score
I would expect the team to run players for anybody other then our Core 4. Irwin Makurat and Griffin need to score and combined imo they need to contribute on the offensive end 12 pts. The foul shooting and layups will take care of themselves. Im hoping we dont get any southern cooking from the refs. Im expected a much better showing then the Cal game. When everything comes together UConn should be scoring alot of points. What I saw was some rushed shots, and playing out of sync...ala lack of poise. We need to slow it down and execute and not so much one on one. This is a game imo we should win by 15+ easily and 25+ would be very good. 25+ would show us we have arrived. As fans we are not used to this. We are used to 40 pt blowouts. That could happen once we get a few games under our belt and convert foul shots, layups, and other then our core 4..that 5th postion scores 12+ pts a game. Against Cal our Core 4 scored 70 of the 72 pts. That needs to change tonite and thats why I feel Geno will run a couple of plays to get our 5th postion players going.
Team (everyone) needs to start getting open and making 3's. Its never too early to build confidence.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I think Aubrey starts and begins to pull ahead in the 3 player race for 5th starter
I'm leaning toward Anna getting most of the minutes as #5. If they don't run the offense correctly with Anna or Aubrey, Kayla is solid in the offensive flow and makes sure that all 5 are running the R&R offense. I believe we need to get into the flow and that could give Kayla more minutes.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This will be the first game I will be able to watch "live" without reading everyone's comments first. Looking forward to getting a "clean" look at the team and how they are playing.

but then, you must give a complete account after. :)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'd like to see improvement in the areas (we all know what they are) that gave everyone pause for concern. I want to see tight defense from tip to buzzer. Make Vandy work for everything they get. I'm looking for a little more consistency from Liv in scoring under the basket, and completing those bunnies and the and 1's.

"Kiah Stokes and Steff both often blocked and kept the ball or tipped it to a teammate. With that the ball belongs to Uconn to set up another score." ~ BroadwwayVa. I'd like to see her employ a different technique that allows her to gain control (a steal) when attempting to block shots. She doesn't have to block every shot. A simple "deflection" will suffice. I'll be watching to see how ONO matches up with Mariella Fasoula, Vandy's 22 year old 5th year senior post from Athens Greece.

I'd like to see more mid-range shots taken when the defense gives it to us, instead of always trying to attack the basket. A 10' jumper is the same as a lay up. Take what the defense gives you. All of our girls can hit mid-range shots. Getting closer is not always better.

Whoever has the "hot hand" early tonight, feed them. Ride them the entire quarter. Try to limit turnovers to 10 or less. I'd like to see Anna and Aubrey play more "at ease" and under control. I want to see them let the game come to them. Don't rush or force things. Just play "their" normal game. By the second quarter, they both should be into the flow of the game with all jitters and butterflies gone.

I want to see Molly and Evelyn contribute tonight while the game is still in doubt, even if it's only for 5-7 minutes. We've only got 9 players. EVERYONE has to be able to contribute. No room for cheerleaders on THIS team. I'm looking to see a UConn team that resembles Husky teams we're use to seeing. I'm looking to see if some things that needed to be cleaned up, were. Everyone plays. Everyone scores. No one gets hurt. UConn wins. Have a safe trip home, goodnight. :cool:

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The only thing I disagree with Tony on (nice on the rest of the post) is the MOV. Vandy was picked dead last in the SEC. Anything short of a 30+ point win is a disappointment, and the MOV should be closer to 35-40.

I don't care how "tough" the SEC is - when you play the preseason worst team in their league, it should be a monster blowout. Having said that, I think I predicted a 22 or 23 point win in the "prognastication" thread. We will see.

Reaction Score
I hope Ana & Aubrey pick up their games! Yes, 1st night jitters and all of that, but Geno wants to see improvement.

Reaction Score
I believe that fans should do as you do above: Love em, good or bad love em. I'm afflicted with a reality gene I can't always shake. And one or 2 of your sentences enveloped that GENE.
I agree the 5th and 6th positions should score 12 points combined. Some saw the 6th position scoring 24. That may come but for now EVERYONE is getting acclimatized. New kids, new combos, new responsibilities. I rarely dwell on those no longer on the team; they can't play and any number they had mean nothing now. REALITY.

I agree slow down the OFFENSE at times and make that score but when running is given make the score.
Uconn historically is at it's best when it clears the boards and run full out and score, then score again and again with DEFENSE.

Reaction Score
I would expect the 5 players on the court to do what the coaching staff expects them to do.
Typically the coaching staff expect them to do their best whatever that happens to be in any given game. More than that they expect them to improve each game. Geno has a spoken philosophy: When a player is inserted into a game he expects (hopes for) them to score, make a defensive stop, i.e make an immediate impact on the game. EXPECTATIONS of the coaching staff depends on the player and the situation.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Typically the coaching staff expect them to do their best whatever that happens to be in any given game. More than that they expect them to improve each game. Geno has a spoken philosophy: When a player is inserted into a game he expects (hopes for) them to score, make a defensive stop, i.e make an immediate impact on the game. EXPECTATIONS of the coaching staff depends on the player and the situation.
And that is what I am looking for in tonight's game

Reaction Score
I'd like to see improvement in the areas (we all know what they are) that gave everyone pause for concern. We know what the returning starters are going to give Geno every game. I'm looking for a little more consistency from Liv in scoring under the basket, and completing those and 1's. I'd like to see her employ a different technique when attempting to block shots. She doesn't have to block every shot. A simple "deflection" will suffice. I'll be watching to see how ONO matches up with Mariella Fasoula, Vandy's 22 year old 5th year senior post from Athens Greece.

I'd like to see more mid-range shots taken when our girls are open instead of always trying to attack the basket. Take what the defense gives you. If they give you a 10 footer, take it. Getting closer is not always better.

Whoever has the "hot hand" early tonight, feed them. Try to limit turnovers to 10 or less. I'd like to see Anna and Aubrey play more "at ease" and under control. I want to see them let the game come to them. Don't rush or force things. Just play "their" normal game. By the second quarter, they both should be into the flow of the game. Hopefully Molly and Evelyn will see the floor tonight. even if it's only for 5-7 minutes. I'm looking to see a UConn team that resembles Husky teams we're use to seeing. I'm looking to see if some things that needed to be cleaned up, were. Everyone plays. Everyone scores. No one gets hurt. UConn wins. Have a safe trip home, goodnight. :cool:
I agree on Olivia not swatting. Kiah Stokes and Steff both often blocked and kept the ball or tipped it to a teammate. With that the ball belongs to Uconn to set up another score. I'm not a fan of swattiing into the 4th row (Liv doesn't do that). But in all things post that belongs to CD and I doubt a Post player gets better instructions than CD provides.
I don't think this game will be PRETTY--count the AA's on this team--and the Div 1 experience of the rest. Time with talented players usually produces results. If Molly or Irwin get 4 minutes I hope they make the most of them and resemble Seniors of the past, even Sr. Bench players.

Reaction Score
I'm leaning toward Anna getting most of the minutes as #5. If they don't run the offense correctly with Anna or Aubrey, Kayla is solid in the offensive flow and makes sure that all 5 are running the R&R offense. I believe we need to get into the flow and that could give Kayla more minutes.
Irwin is slow of foot and not quick either but should she sink 3 3's and get back on defense she could find a home at the 5th. Ania or Griffin may work into the line up better without the pressure to be all to end all. I'm not holding my breath for Irwin she's had moment in the past.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I agree on Olivia not swatting. Kiah Stokes and Steff both often blocked and kept the ball or tipped it to a teammate. With that the ball belongs to Uconn to set up another score. I'm not a fan of swattiing into the 4th row (Liv doesn't do that). But in all things post that belongs to CD and I doubt a Post player gets better instructions than CD provides.
I don't think this game will be PRETTY--count the AA's on this team--and the Div 1 experience of the rest. Time with talented players usually produces results. If Molly or Irwin get 4 minutes I hope they make the most of them and resemble Seniors of the past, even Sr. Bench players.

Excellent observation BW. Maybe the coaches should try THAT approach with Liv. After a year in the program, she's still fly swatting at opponent's shot attempts. That is not a sustainable technique.

I watched Aliyah Boston (South Carolina) block 5 shots Sunday against Tennessee successfully without fly swatting. Liv can most certainly do it. Trying to keep the ball in play and turn it over is a mindset she could employ that would eliminate that dreaded technique. :cool:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
"I would expect the team to run players for anybody other then our Core 4."

I would expect the opposite. When UCONN runs plays, its for the core players so they can do 'core' things.

Anna or Aubrey could certainly get plenty of touches out of the base 'read-and-react' offense, like Anna (especially) did in game 1 when she was open at the arc, but that's not from a set play. If Anna has shaken some of her early jitters, she could give us some production that way. Aubrey will hopefully try a few more dribble drives if she sees some openings.

Reaction Score
I’m looking for a better defensive effort. I’m looking for them to keep their man in front of them on defense.

Reaction Score
Excellent observation BW. Maybe the coaches should try THAT approach with Liv. After a year in the program, she's still fly swatting at opponent's shot attempts. That is not a sustainable technique.

I watched Aliyah Boston (South Carolina) block 5 shots Sunday against Tennessee successfully without fly swatting. Liv can most certainly do it. Trying to keep the ball in play and turn it over is a mindset she could employ that would eliminate that dreaded technique. :cool:
I Agree and Boston probably was taught in HS not to swat. You can be certain LIV didn't have that kind of instruction. Geno/CD have worked on everything except her height since she arrived. She has improved in the important areas by leaps and bounds (fouling is a lot less). Ingrained, long time used, characteristics are hard if not impossible to eradicate. She has and can intimidate even tall top players (ND last game). Geno has stated and I have said (yea Geno means more) Uconn goes as far as OLIVIA will take them
My point in the Steff/Kiah comment was: Both arrived as works in progress and learned as stated in the previous post--to not swat. This isn't CD's first Rodeo or even first tall kid. They'll keep working it. Steff had the luxury or unfortunate position of being thrown to the wolves (against Griner) she had to learn quickly

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score

Yeah, that technique was perfected by Bill Russell and I'm surprised more coaches don't stress it. But I also have a 55 year old memory of playing at Hartford Public when one of our guys went up for a corner jumper and it landed 12 rows deep. It was quite a demoralizing moment.:confused::eek:

Reaction Score
Just don't let Liv hear you. Hope she stays in the post more and is not intimidated by Fasuola Get someone else in foul trouble.
Agree but without sounding too negative, Liv made almost as many 3's the last game as layups. Nice turn around though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom