What if we had actually gotten our 1st choice? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What if we had actually gotten our 1st choice?

Reaction Score
This is probably in my top 5.
Sanogo was my #1 target for that class. I might be remembering wrong but he was ranked in the 30s and climbing before he reclassified.

Reaction Score
Not in anyone's top 5 but didn't we get Roscoe Smith after Josh Selby committed to Kansas?
Think you might be misremembering, or thinking of the Shabazz reclass.

iirc Roscoe committed in January, and the Selby drama (along with Knight and Joseph) lasted well into the spring

Reaction Score
I don’t know why I ever read a kansas board, but I remember the fans losing it after deandre daniels commited to uconn. he was a major target for a lot of schools. hey it was 2011 & my job sucked.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Think you might be misremembering, or thinking of the Shabazz reclass.

iirc Roscoe committed in January, and the Selby drama (along with Knight and Joseph) lasted well into the spring
Yes, it was well after our season ended and shortly after the tournament was over. JC had the possibility of SN and (I may be wrong here) Olander joining in the 2010-2011 academic year in hisback pocket but each was scheduled to do a post grad year and join for 2011-2012.

In what felt like a 15 minute stretch we heard about losing out everyone we were close to landing. As there was now more room than we anticipated, SN and (I believe, but could have this wrong) TO signed on instead of going post-grad.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I was REALLY into getting Hamidou. Wanted him badly for multiple reasons.

Reaction Score
Sanogo was my #1 target for that class. I might be remembering wrong but he was ranked in the 30s and climbing before he reclassified.
I think Omoruyi was the higher rated recruit. I thought Hurley went after Sanogo after missing out on Omoruyi, who was the 1st choice initially. Sanogo was a huge surprise as Seton Hall was the heavy favorite. Both were spring signees.

Reaction Score
Who was the recruit in the late 80’s from Danbury? Tony something I think. Many signs were pointing towards UCONN but he ended up going to Syracuse. Not sure of plan B.

Reaction Score
Who was the recruit in the late 80’s from Danbury? Tony something I think. Many signs were pointing towards UCONN but he ended up going to Syracuse. Not sure of plan B.
Found it. Tony Harris. Went to Syracuse for 1 year then transferred to Hawaii.
It was class of 91. Donny’s, Ollie, Fair, Rudy Johnson and more. Guess we ended up okay.
That was the class when I felt we finally hit the big time.

Reaction Score
The rumor I knew at the time was Calipari's pitch to Knight was that Calhoun was old, sick, and might not be alive throughout Knight's whole career. No idea if it's true, but have hated Calipari (even more) since
The Calipari “Carnesecca Special”

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The rumor I knew at the time was Calipari's pitch to Knight was that Calhoun was old, sick, and might not be alive throughout Knight's whole career. No idea if it's true, but have hated Calipari (even more) since
Interesting pitch for a 1 and done. Lol

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Imagine what would have happened if we actually got our 1st choice of a recruit.

My top 3 in order

1 Isaiah Fox/Jamal Sampson – We missed out on both targets in the fall. Funnily enough, pretty sure that Arizona could have easily had Emeka Okafor but they didn’t recruit him and instead opted for Fox and Sampson went for 1 uninspired season at Cal.

2 Brandon Jennings – I believe we were heavy favorites for him at one point and he was a top 3 recruit. Jennings had a connection to Marcus Williams. Everyone was shocked he committed to Arizona and JC pivoted heavily to his backup option of Kemba. He didn’t qualify and went overseas.

3 Brandon Knight/Cory Joseph/Josh Selby/Doron Lamb – I have no idea what happened with Knight as we were supposed to be in the driver’s seat at one point. Joseph was the one I really wanted and I believe we came in 2nd. Shabazz really wanted to come to Uconn and I believe he re-classified and accepted the offer in the spring before Selby decided. Doron Lamb was in the same class and I think Uconn had a legit shot, but he decided to wait till spring and Jeremy Lamb signed in the fall.

Any others.
Clearly Brandons are not for us...

Reaction Score
Jimmy Page famously wanted Terry Reid to front Led Zeppelin, after Terry Reid turned him down he recommended a little known singer named Robert Plant.

Reaction Score
Just thinking about recruits we could have maybe had that we didn't get I think of some guys but I think of Andrew Bynum a lot. albeit went to NBA not to another school. And ryan gomes who jim calhoun infamously didnt recruit. I think i went to the game he had that press conference after. "Caron butler and emeka okafor were pretty good"........yes but so was ryan gomes haha

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Just thinking about recruits we could have maybe had that we didn't get I think of some guys but I think of Andrew Bynum a lot. albeit went to NBA not to another school. And ryan gomes who jim calhoun infamously didnt recruit. I think i went to the game he had that press conference after. "Caron butler and emeka okafor were pretty good"........yes but so was ryan gomes haha
Haha?

Gomes at his best (which couldn't have been anticipated when he was in HS) wasn't close to the level of player of either Caron or Emeka.

Reaction Score
Almost pulling Ronnie Brewer away from Arkansas when he was a legacy recruit there

Reaction Score
What recruit did we get that broke some other school's heart?

Reaction Score
Yup, his final three was us, Georgetown, and Duke
I think roscoe was one of those early risers and Dook didn’t really want by his Sr year. Was def tough losing him I would imagine he regrets leaving as UNLV was nothing and he’d have won a 2nd.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Found it. Tony Harris. Went to Syracuse for 1 year then transferred to Hawaii.
I've never heard him called Tony. It was always Anthony. But there was a year at Marshalltown Community College in Iowa between 'cuse and Hawaii.

Reaction Score
Tony Scott who was dunking at the Field House one day and committing them a couple days later was turning Orange. Left for Texas A & M a year or 2 later and got in trouble I think because of an agent or something?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom