What if KLS went to Stanford and not UConn? | The Boneyard

What if KLS went to Stanford and not UConn?

Reaction Score
I thought about this in the past but I think its even more intriguing now. What if KLS went to Stanford to play with Karlie? Assuming both teams were on the same current track and Lou is roughly the same player, who would be favored?

Reaction Score
Glad it went the way it has! Their Dad's mileage would have been better though.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice question. I don't think it would have made any difference last year but taking the question literally and not having anyone of the same quality filling Lou's shoes, we would not get to the final 4 while Stanford would probably fight Baylor for the NC. The next 2 years, balance of power would be restored to UConn and we would be able to take Lou out of the game in a direct matchup.

Reaction Score
I thought about this in the past but I think its even more intriguing now. What if KLS went to Stanford to play with Karlie? Assuming both teams were on the same current track and Lou is roughly the same player, who would be favored?
What if Karli came to UCONN? Rumor has it she was down to the two programs and decided to stay west for family related reasons.... ESPN would have us believe so she could play with Bonnie....

Reaction Score
uconn fans would not have known the difference!! You can moan about the loss --but you'll never know --if getting her would be good or bad. Looking back ---it would have been good for the Samuelsons --but even then UC fan probably would not have cared.

Reaction Score
If KLS went to Stamford she would not be the player she is today. She would be a 3 point shooter like her sister. If you noticed, her sister runs down the court and stands in the corner and hopes her defender sags off of her enough so she can catch a pass and get a 3 point shot off. KLS has been taught to move without the ball, how to shoot mid range shots coming off screens, and when to put the ball on the floor and take it to the hoop. KLS is a way more complete player than her sister, and that's only after 2 years at UConn. She not done developing and will continue to grow over the next 2 seasons.

Reaction Score
So far I have one reply (from eebmg) that answers the question.
If KLS went to Stamford she would not be the player she is today. She would be a 3 point shooter like her sister. If you noticed, her sister runs down the court and stands in the corner and hopes her defender sags off of her enough so she can catch a pass and get a 3 point shot off. KLS has been taught to move without the ball, how to shoot mid range shots coming off screens, and when to put the ball on the floor and take it to the hoop. KLS is a way more complete player than her sister, and that's only after 2 years at UConn. She not done developing and will continue to grow over the next 2 seasons.

While I realize this is all hypothetical, but Lou played more that way in year one here because of big 3 occupying space on floor. Lou was always a more complete scorer than her sisters. In fact when watching her HS clips I wonder why she does not crash the board more. However, you see drives to the rim and mid-range quite a bit more than expected after seeing her year one. To that point, if she was on Stanford KLS and her sister would not be sitting on the 3 point line.

Reaction Score
So far I have one reply (from eebmg) that answers the question.

While I realize this is all hypothetical, but Lou played more that way in year one here because of big 3 occupying space on floor. Lou was always a more complete scorer than her sisters. In fact when watching her HS clips I wonder why she does not crash the board more. However, you see drives to the rim and mid-range quite a bit more than expected after seeing her year one. To that point, if she was on Stanford KLS and her sister would not be sitting on the 3 point line.
I agree that KLS already had some of that in her game but she's obviously matured and improved in those areas. This staff obviously does an awful lot to bring out the best of everyone here, more so than just about any program out there. If she had gone to Stanford, the only time Boneyarders would be thinking about KLS is an occasional "what if" but it wouldn't be much of a thread.

Reaction Score
Karlie herself intended to attend UConn and a death of a relative (uncle?) made her put family first and the rest is history.

I didn't know that interesting.

Who is the better player? Which sister?

Rank them please.

Reaction Score
Karlie herself intended to attend UConn and a death of a relative (uncle?) made her put family first and the rest is history.

Not sure what her intentions were nor do I care, but here father said (per espn video) that she was always going to follow Bonnie to Stanford because of their relationship....

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
No reason to think she'd be much different than she is right now. If she went to Stanford, Stanford probably would've been a top 3-4 team all year. She also would likely be an all American this year, but maybe not a national player of the year candidate in my opinion

Tara is outstanding at player development, she just hasn't had the luxury of nabbing as many top recruits as Geno. The Ogwumike sisters were very quiet in their first year at Stanford and blossomed into unstoppable scorers during their time at Stanford. Jayne Appel improved immensely over her career until she was injured her senior year. Pohlen went from an average role player to a 1st Team All American.

Also, KLS was always much more highly touted than her sisters. KL was the top recruit in the country as a senior, Karlie was ranked in the 70s, so the development of Karlie isn't a good indicator for how Katie would've developed at Stanford.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I know, I saw that. I have gotten tired of fishing out the article, but what I reported was a lengthier quote from either Karlie or her mother a couple of months before Lou committed; the principal thrust of the article was that Lou was free to pick wherever she wanted and she'd have the support of the whole family. Karlie or her mother, and I will find the article again later, said UConn was where Karlie intended to go and them sad, untimely death in family.

Reaction Score
The 'what if' to end all 'what ifs'.........

What if EDD hadn't transfered???

Reaction Score

Who would have UConn gotten instead of Lou?

Reaction Score
What if, what if, what if what if, what if,. zzzzzzzzz
agree. What if Geno coached at Stanford, Dawn at Notre Dame, and Muffett at UCONN as assistant under CD?
and Candace Parker went to Oregon State?

(Someone shoot us, quick!)

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
My statement was about Lou, not Karlie.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
56297781.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom