What if Jurich used bribes to get ACC votes? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What if Jurich used bribes to get ACC votes?

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
You think poor high school kids are as likely to call a U.S. attorney as business leaders who serve on boards of trustees at flagship universities? You can't be serious.

Goodness knows I am not saying Louisville didn't rob and cheat it's way to the big time. I am sure it did. But the thought that bribery got them over us when Maryland left the ACC doesn't make sense.

But then again, I believe 9/11 and Sandy Hook were real and that MI-6 didn't kill Princess Di, so I am probably a bad person to be listening to.

I'm not suggesting Jurich showed up at the ACC meeting with suitcases on money.

And bringing up Sandy Hook is a low blow.

Unless, you think the likelyhood of someone at an ACC school being personally enriched by UofL joining the ACC is as likely as the shooting being faked.

Reaction Score
I'm not suggesting Jurich showed up at the ACC meeting with suitcases on money.

And bringing up Sandy Hook is a low blow.

Unless, you think the likelyhood of someone at an ACC school being personally enriched by UofL joining the ACC is as likely as the shooting being faked.

My point is that the decision was not a centralized decision that was changed from UConn to Louisville by Swofford (such that paying Swofford changed the result). It came from member institutions, and it came from beyond the athletic departments. Taking the risk of bribing an assistant basketball coach is one thing. Taking a risk of bribing a University President -- or in some cases members of Boards of Trustees -- is something else entirely.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Weren't FSU, and Clemson making noise about going to the B12 if a strong football program weren't added?
UConn was coming off a BCS Bowl and 2 Big East titles in 4 years, consistently going to bowl games. We didn’t have a ton of history obviously but we were the fasting growing program in the sport. Joining the ACC would have only enhanced our growth. Louisville had some baaaaad years before Strong came in and was CUSA a few years before the ACC called! Edsall was gone but there was no sign of just how far we’d fall at that point. Ironically, we beat a ranked Louisville team on the road days before they were introduced. Cuse and Pitt were already invited because of their (ancient) football history. The Louisville invite was very “odd.”

Edit: let’s not forget things like geography and academics.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You think poor high school kids are as likely to call a U.S. attorney as business leaders who serve on boards of trustees at flagship universities? You can't be serious.

Goodness knows I am not saying Louisville didn't rob and cheat it's way to the big time. I am sure it did. But the thought that bribery got them over us when Maryland left the ACC doesn't make sense.

But then again, I believe 9/11 and Sandy Hook were real and that MI-6 didn't kill Princess Di, so I am probably a bad person to be listening to.
You wouldn't have to bribe all ACC presidents, just the RIGHT one. On the flip side you're expecting dozens of "poor" recruits and strippers and prostitutes to stay quiet. Where do you think you're more likely to get a leak from?

No I don't believe Jurich bribed his way into the ACC. More likely it was as @nelsonmuntz says, hookers and blow. We know for sure they had an in with the hookers.

Reaction Score
ACC presidents can get better hookers on their own than UL would have been able to offer them. Much of the logic in this thread is way off.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
If the ACC took Louisville because they wanted winning programs, and if it's common knowledge as it must be that programs like Louisville's win through cheating, then when the ACC chose Louisville over UConn they were choosing cheating over honesty.
Either that or football over basketball.

scoobydoo

Reaction Score
You wouldn't have to bribe all ACC presidents, just the RIGHT one. On the flip side you're expecting dozens of "poor" recruits and strippers and prostitutes to stay quiet. Where do you think you're more likely to get a leak from?

No I don't believe Jurich bribed his way into the ACC. More likely it was as @nelsonmuntz says, hookers and blow. We know for sure they had an in with the hookers.

Sure you can join the ACC, Tom

B5EsLNaCcAANPzG.png

scoobydoo

Reaction Score
Either that or football over basketball.

UofL had a 5-4 advantage over UConn in football in the BE. They won the conference twice and went to 2 BCS games. We won the conference twice and went to 1 BCS game (WVU beat us on tiebreakers the other year).

It was widely known UofL had cheated to get their football to that point.

UConn had more players drafted and more players in the NFL.

And we won multiple NC in BB - UofL didn't win until after they accepted a bid to the ACC.

Hartford/NH is the #30 TV market. Louisville is #50

UConn is the #18 Public School & Louisville is a glorified community college.

Explain to me again why UofL was such a no brainer????

(I mean outside the dead hooker in the college presidents room - thank God it was one of Dirty Ricky's hookers or Jurich wouldn't been able to help)

Reaction Score
ACC presidents can get better hookers on their own than UL would have been able to offer them. Much of the logic in this thread is way off.

Not to mention, the thought that folks with money in Florida would be looking to be serviced by women in Kentucky is more than a little ridiculous.

Reaction Score
UofL had a 5-4 advantage over UConn in football in the BE. They won the conference twice and went to 2 BCS games. We won the conference twice and went to 1 BCS game (WVU beat us on tiebreakers the other year).

And we won multiple NC in BB - UofL didn't win until after they accepted a bid to the ACC.

(I mean outside the dead hooker in the college presidents room - thank God it was one of Dirty Ricky's hookers or Jurich wouldn't been able to help)

U of L was not a "no brainer" but a suitable school that was better than Cinci, Memphis, or any of the other conference USA school that had an eye for the ACC.

U of L was the sole benefactor from the UCONN exclusion that was almost 100% geographical based on its relationship, or lack there of, with BC. UCONN had, and still has, a lot of appeal to any P5 conference. But if you look back at what happen to miss out on that specific opportunity to join the ACC, it had more to do with political manipulation, the bad break-up of the original Big East 10 years earlier, and UCONN admins arrogance.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

All true, and yet you drive around Louisville and see the stadium from the highway, Cardinal logos on the railroad overpass, and proclamations that "you're in ACC country." Ever since the data sample you provided, Louisville football & basketball profiles have looked better. Maybe you're right that it was all about the cheating. We'll see.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

I'm not arguing with most of your points, but Louisville did win two NCAA titles in BB (1980 and 1986) before joining the ACC. It's certainly looking like they will now lose their appeal and the 2013 title will remain permanently vacated, giving us a 4-2 lead over them, FWIW.

Reaction Score
Slightly off topic but could the ACC kick Louisville out of the conference as a result of the Pitino scandal? I would assume FBI will combine thru all finances of the Louisville athletic dept.from last 15/20 yrs

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Slightly off topic but could the ACC kick Louisville out of the conference as a result of the Pitino scandal? I would assume FBI will combine thru all finances of the Louisville athletic dept.from last 15/20 yrs
Prevailing opinion is no. The hopeful opinion is yes and UConn replaces. My opinion is whatever happens I prefer UConn joining the B!G.

Reaction Score
Louisville is a glorified community college.

I don't get this sentiment. I dislike Lville as a whole, but this is wrong. They are not a "bad" school. They are just average. The other 14 ACC schools are top 80 in the U.S. News & World Report national university rankings. Lville is 165 overall and 87 for public schools. With a population of 350 million in the usa and so many UNIs, neither ranking is "horrible". It is false to use hyperbole to describe them as anything less than an average institution so can we move on to actual reasons why they suck? Like cheating and all the scandals over the past few years?

For the record, I absolutely would not be shocked if there was some shady business going down in the lead up to the invite to the acc. I have a hunch, but it is just that.

Last edited:

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
In my opinion I don't really see how kicking a team out of a conference is possible. There is so much money and legal paperwork in effect that it seems like a nightmare. Also if Penn State and Baylor are still playing P5 athletics, then this scandal has barely even scratched the surface of those controversies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We get it. You are more level headed than every single member of this community, you have made that clear repeatedly over your several years here.
Yes, I am.
Perhaps if you wear a hat no one will notice?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

It didn't take a bribe to get L'ville in, they were next in line after UConn.
UConn was nixed by BC, Pitt, FSU, Miami and two other schools (rumors say Cuse and Wake Forest) so L'ville got the call
If it weren't UConn or L'ville it would most likely have been Cinci but to me that's a further stretch.
Blumenthal PO'd BC who got others to gang up on UConn that is one concrete reason - also some like Pitt didn't want to recruit vs UConn.

However, based on the current events - the thought of a L'ville bribe seems to have a touch of merit but after reading years of compilations on why UConn was scorned - I have doubts - it's more likely that BC or Pitt did the bribing.

Reaction Score
UConn was nixed by BC, Pitt, FSU, Miami and two other schools (rumors say Cuse and Wake Forest) so L'ville got the call
If it weren't UConn or L'ville it would most likely have been Cinci but to me that's a further stretch.
Blumenthal PO'd BC who got others to gang up on UConn that is one concrete reason - also some like Pitt didn't want to recruit vs UConn.

However, based on the current events - the thought of a L'ville bribe seems to have a touch of merit but after reading years of compilations on why UConn was scorned - I have doubts - it's more likely that BC or Pitt did the bribing.
I have only ever heard of BCs involvement and maybe FSU.

I have heard differently about the cuse, that they actually supported Uconn getting in. It would make sense since they are longstanding rivals who actually were about 50/50 in any given match up as opposed to Uconn BC which was more like 90 or 95 to 5, maybe 10 if they are lucky. BC was sick of getting slammed all the time vs Uconn so of course they did not want the Huskies, plus they want an easier time recruiting in upper NE.

scoobydoo

Reaction Score
it's more likely that BC or Pitt did the bribing.

What did BCU offer?

To lose every conference game if they brought in UofL?

Reaction Score

You are right. Blumenthal is the reason UConn is not in the ACC. He should take more heat for his dumb lawsuit that pissed everyone off.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom