What if Azzi Fudd did what Top '21 UCLA commit Dominique Darius did? [Merged] | The Boneyard

What if Azzi Fudd did what Top '21 UCLA commit Dominique Darius did? [Merged]

Reaction Score
During the Seton Hall game, I texted MilfordHusky and asked what would happen if Azzi Fudd graduated High School early (presuming that her coursework is completed) and enrolled at UCONN for the Spring Semester? I mused that with the High School season uncertain and the extra year of eligibility due to Covid-19 that it might be the strategic thing to do. Could add an outstanding 3-point dimension to the team off the bench. Well, that's exactly what Top UCLA Commit Dominique Darius did. One caveat, the UC System is on "quarters" rather than semesters which is why she can play now. See article below. Wonder if others will do what Darius did? Any thoughts?

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
One of the issues any early transfer would face is getting up to speed with her new coaches methods, new offensive systems, new defensive responsibilities, and new teammates to acclimate to. Not to mention new facilities, living away from family and friends, and new academic responsibilities. Team chemistry is an important thing. With UConn this is doubly so because, as has been noted by many recruits and players, UConn does things differently than anyone else. To enter a roster mid season, especially UConn, would be a terrific burden on a new recruit, and IMO, no matter how talented the player, would highly limit their contributions. Just getting off the bench would be an achievement.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If she did, would she get the extra year of eligibility that was automatically granted to every player this year? If so, then she could actually get 4.5 years of college basketball if she chose to do so.

But I have to imagine that the UCLA players' early graduation was in the works for a long time (ie. taking courses early). If Azzi isn't already there (or any of the other kids from that class), I would think it's too late to jam it all in now...

Somehow I don't think Geno would like that, and unsure if he would allow it. As @JordyG said, UCONN offense is especially hard to pick up for freshmen, not to mention the fitness issue etc. (he pretty much covered it all). Hardly any freshman shows up in UCONN physical shape...

Reaction Score
If Azzi can finish her high school in February she can join the March 2021 Tournament. How nice ~~~

Reaction Score
Joining the team now as a sort of easing in might not be all that bad of an idea so long as her presence wasn't detrimental to practices. Imagine if by the start of Fudd's freshman season she already had half a year of real practice and game experience under her belt?

Reaction Score
Shark Tank Ugh GIF by ABC Network

Reaction Score
I'd say, "Let high school kids be high school kids", but that's been over for a while.

Reaction Score
I'd say, "Let high school kids be high school kids", but that's been over for a while.

Certainly not as it was before, but still not bad for most high schoolers. I doubt many HS seniors would want to leave early to join a team in mid-January. Also, of course, most high schoolers aren't in position academically to graduate in mid-January.

Reaction Score
The BY is a friendly place where avid UConn Women's basketball fans can interact about our favorite team.
IMO UConn WCBB is the best program in the world for any sport. After a couple of dry recruiting years, which followed 4 straight NC's, UConn landed the #1 HS recruit in the country and she's off to a solid start, and another top 25 recruit, also contributing. They join players from two years ago of the exact same scenario, with CW #1 and Liv top 25. Do the math.
Why does the BY insist on looking beyond the team on the court right now? I do not understand it. I know about next year's freshmen class, but I never think about them. Not to mention that we all know that it is an involved process for young players to learn the "system". Not to mention that we aren't 100% sure that there's even going to be a March this year. (knock on wood)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The BY is a friendly place where avid UConn Women's basketball fans can interact about our favorite team.
IMO UConn WCBB is the best program in the world for any sport. After a couple of dry recruiting years, which followed 4 straight NC's, UConn landed the #1 HS recruit in the country and she's off to a solid start, and another top 25 recruit, also contributing. They join players from two years ago of the exact same scenario, with CW #1 and Liv top 25. Do the math.
Why does the BY insist on looking beyond the team on the court right now? I do not understand it. I know about next year's freshmen class, but I never think about them. Not to mention that we all know that it is an involved process for young players to learn the "system". Not to mention that we aren't 100% sure that there's even going to be a March this year. (knock on wood)

Quite a generalization. I for one love the current team and enjoy us overcoming the growing pains that can be expected and hope we can compete to our highest potential for a NC. Many great individual stories like Paige, Evina, Liv, Christyn . Aaliyah etc.

But at the same time. you cant blame us for looking at the special pairing of Paige and Azzi on both a basketball level and a human best friends level and not be giddy. The reincarnation of a Diana Taurasi / Sue Bird Backcourt (with a little Maya mixed in) And the 3pt shooting will be unreal.

Reaction Score
I thought of this a while back. High School football players do it every January. They spend the majority of their time in the weight room, but they also participate in Spring practice. It is helpful for the skill position players to learn the system. I would venture a guess that most of the "true freshmen" seen on power five teams took this route. The football player is not using any immediate eligibility (they are still on the 10 semesters to play 4 seasons track.).

Playing for Geno might be a bit different. Most Yukon players need the summer and fall to learn the system. Could step in and play and help the team? I think she might be good enough. It could disrupt the flow of the team. The fact that she would get four more full seasons makes it a no brainer. Highly unlikely next yers freshmen would get the extra year the way this year just received. If she was going to do it she should already be here.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Isn't their room on the board to be able to do both? I mean, there are topics that get brought up over and over and over, and droned on and on about, which I do find annoying... but ultimately, if a topic doesn't interest me, I just skip it.

If it disinterests me enough, I will click on "ignore" and it completely disappears from my list of threads permanently... :)

Reaction Score
Isn't their room on the board to be able to do both? I mean, there are topics that get brought up over and over and over, and droned on and on about, which I do find annoying... but ultimately, if a topic doesn't interest me, I just skip it.

If it disinterests me enough, I will click on "ignore" and it completely disappears from my list of threads permanently... :)
Point taken. My analogy for a blog is a bar, in which people interact about a game or a team. It's fun! One doesn't comment about everything and one also doesn't ignore everything. For example, again thinking about my analogy, I ignore these humongous threads about Nika Muhl. I hope she's a star like everyone else does, but I've seen her play about 3 minutes total, so I choose to ignore. That bar scene is more fun with some banter and yes IMO it is human nature to try to change some people's minds while we're at it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Point taken. My analogy for a blog is a bar, in which people interact about a game or a team. It's fun! One doesn't comment about everything and one also doesn't ignore everything. For example, again thinking about my analogy, I ignore these humongous threads about Nika Muhl. I hope she's a star like everyone else does, but I've seen her play about 3 minutes total, so I choose to ignore. That bar scene is more fun with some banter and yes IMO it is human nature to try to change some people's minds while we're at it.
I am 100% with you on the Nika threads. I feel the same way about the "replace Anna in the starting lineup" threads! LOL ;)

Reaction Score
I thought of this a while back. High School football players do it every January. They spend the majority of their time in the weight room, but they also participate in Spring practice. It is helpful for the skill position players to learn the system. I would venture a guess that most of the "true freshmen" see on power five teams took this route. The football player is not using any immediate eligibility (they are still on the 10 semesters to play 4 seasons track.).

Playing for Geno might be a bit different. Most UConn players need the summer and fall to learn the system. Could step in and play and help the team? I think she might be good enough. It could disrupt the flow of the team. The fact that she would get four more full seasons makes it a no brainer. Highly unlikely next yers freshmen would get the extra year the way this year just received. If she was going to do it she should already be here.

More than one knowledgeable AAU coach/writer said she was pro ready when she was a freshman. Geno said she has the best fundamentals her ever saw coming out of HS. Her stroke is art. At a KML level of beauty.
Anything can happen but there is a possibility that we are going to witness what it might have been like if Moore and Taurasi played together. Not just their skills but there approach to playing. The Taurasi/Bird is another.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the UCLA kid actually graduated last year. The article said she's at a prep school. Most of those offer athletes a PG (post grad) year to focus on sports beyond academics.... If that's the case, she was probably already finished with HS coursework or had very little left to do this year. With Azzi as a 4 year HS student, this would be tremendously difficult.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom