What I liked about Coppin St? Whaley | The Boneyard

What I liked about Coppin St? Whaley

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Nice to have him back, he looked like a player that can be productive and he played with a little moxie, something I've seen too little of to date. I love moxie

What I didn't like, the rotation. Expected to see Cobb and Diarra get more work, instead saw a more of Cariton and Onuorah then expected

I guess KO is still looking for his rotation, or trying to learn more about each kid. Maybe yesterday he started to pull an inner Calhoun and let kids know if they don't produce or if they make silly plays they're sitting. I know he didn't do that Tuesday with Anderson after his horrible start.

IMO, our rotation going forward

Adams
Larrier
Vital
Anderson
Cobb
Diarra
Whaley
and Gilbert would make it a pretty good rotation

PS: Adams does have to play with more fire from the opening tip. He's the leader on this team, and the younger kids feed off of that. Maybe that's why they played better with Gilbert, maybe he was bringing that energy they played with vs OR and against MSU

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like Whaley he works hard, has a nose for the ball and is the only one getting putbacks or at least opportunities on the offensive end. He does attack above the rim too which we have very little of. Looks like he can't shoot all that well although looked better at the line than before. Kids a workhorse, don't give a crap about how thin he is he's at least always giving the effort needed on both ends. Will need to get stronger to finish as well as when he hedges he drifts sometimes, good news though is he has fast feet and long arms. Think he's a keeper, a 4 year guy who will be a nice piece.

Cobb did some lax things early on both ends and I don't think he even saw the floor much after that. Carlton did some nice things and he can score the ball. Another 4 year guy who's a nice piece but he needs to find come explosion eventually. I like Polley too another one of those builder if the coaching can get improvement and confidence.

These kids are the type of kids the Butlers, Creightons and alike use to keep the influx of 3-4 year guys in order to always have that experience but somehow those teams get their guys to become good if not real good players. If KO can't do that then maybe it's time because there's a few solid bases of product out there. Not saying it needs to be next week, next month or even this year with all of them but some signs of improvement here or there has to start showing up. Sprinkle in potentially really good players like Adams and Larrier (Vital is more the 4 year program kid) and you have something to work with.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Nice to have him back, he looked like a player that can be productive and he played with a little moxie, something I've seen too little of to date. I love moxie

What I didn't like, the rotation. Expected to see Cobb and Diarra get more work, instead saw a more of Cariton and Onuorah then expected

I guess KO is still looking for his rotation, or trying to learn more about each kid. Maybe yesterday he started to pull an inner Calhoun and let kids know if they don't produce or if they make silly plays they're sitting. I know he didn't do that Tuesday with Anderson after his horrible start.

Adams
Larrier
Vital
Adams
Cobb
Diarra
Whaley

PS: Adams does have to play with more fire from the opening tip. He's the leader on this team, and the younger kids feed off of that. Maybe that's why they played better with Gilbert, maybe he was bringing that energy they played with vs OR and against MSU

Adams is definitely going to have to play with more fire since you have him taking two of the five starting positions! ;)

I agree with the overall point, though. He is the leader ood the team and has to take on that role as best he can...

Reaction Score
Like how you cloned Adams into your rotation. 2*JA would definitely help.

Like the freshmen core...think they will become solid 4 yr players

Reaction Score
Given the level of competition, you can't really draw any inference from the CS game, except that we need to play better.

The open threes and the unforced (or barely forced) turnovers need to be cleaned up. Fast.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I like Whaley he works hard, has a nose for the ball and is the only one getting putbacks or at least opportunities on the offensive end. He does attack above the rim too which we have very little of. Looks like he can't shoot all that well although looked better at the line than before. Kids a workhorse, don't give a crap about how thin he is he's at least always giving the effort needed on both ends. Will need to get stronger to finish as well as when he hedges he drifts sometimes, good news though is he has fast feet and long arms. Think he's a keeper, a 4 year guy who will be a nice piece.

Cobb did some lax things early on both ends and I don't think he even saw the floor much after that. Carlton did some nice things and he can score the ball. Another 4 year guy who's a nice piece but he needs to find come explosion eventually. I like Polley too another one of those builder if the coaching can get improvement and confidence.

These kids are the type of kids the Butlers, Creightons and alike use to keep the influx of 3-4 year guys in order to always have that experience but somehow those teams get their guys to become good if not real good players. If KO can't do that then maybe it's time because there's a few solid bases of product out there. Not saying it needs to be next week, next month or even this year with all of them but some signs of improvement here or there has to start showing up. Sprinkle in potentially really good players like Adams and Larrier (Vital is more the 4 year program kid) and you have something to work with.

Whaley is already a leader by example. Very refreshing to see that kind of alert hustle and energy. His "energy" comes from within meaning he is self motivated and accepts the responsibility for his actions. No excuses; just relentless hustle. Reminding me very much of Jared Dudley from BC who was a most worthy opponent and, not surprisingly, made my "when will that x$*^%# graduate list" Wikipedia article referred to him as "junkyard dog".

During his college years, Dudley played with the Boston College Eagles. Along with fellow senior Sean Marshall, he was one of the team's two captains, and was the leading scorer and rebounder on the team during his final season. Dudley was a four-year starter for the Eagles, and played in every BC game in his first three years. He had a streak of over 100 consecutive starts snapped when he suffered a stress fracture in December 2006. In his college days he earned the nickname "Junkyard Dog" for his toughness and nose for the ball.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
HAHA, the second Adams would read Anderson

Reaction Score

Adams
Larrier
Vital
Anderson
Cobb
Diarra
Whaley

The big problem with this rotation is that there are only two guys who can really play the 5 (Diarra, Cobb) and both of them are fouling at an insane rate. That isn't likely to get better as competition steps up.

Carlton is guaranteed to play going forward for that reason alone. And if Polley can keep hitting threes, I think we'll see more of him too.

Reaction Score
Not sure what thread is the best fit for this, but here it is. This is a comparison of our big men assuming 30 minutes PT per game at their current point/rebounds per minute average.

Whaley 7.1
Carlton 6.8
Polley 6.0
Cobb 5.7
Onuorah 1.6

Rebounds
Cobb 12.0
Diarra 11.6
Onuorah 8.7
Carlton 7.9
Whaley 6.4
Polley 2.4

The raw conclusion from this is that Diarra is our most effective big at 7.3 pts, 11.6 rebs per game. Surprising fact is that he is our leading scorer among the bigs with Whaley right behind.

Reaction Score

Adams
Larrier
Vital
Anderson
Cobb
Diarra
Whaley

I like Carlton better than all the bigs you listed.

Not sure the Boneyard could even agree on who the best players are, so criticizing Ollie's rotation is going to make for lots of posts on this site this season.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Whaley and Polley both showed some things early on but saw their minutes dissipate versus better competition. I think both probably should be seeing more minutes... especially vs Cuse.

Reaction Score
I think that Carlton at Center and Cobb at the 4 is better than Cobb at center and Diarra at the 4.

Reaction Score
@dennismenace

And because of that toughness Dudley still has a roster spot in the league
I was at the Celtics game when they played the Suns last week and I don't how Dudley is still in the NBA. He was fat, slow and looked way out of shape. But he did have a long run as an NBA player.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I still think Cobb has a lot of upside, as does Carlton. I'd prefer to see less 3-guard looks to get two big men on the floor at the same time, even if it means we can't full-court press.

Our press has turned over the bad teams sporadically, but not the good teams. Might as well bang on the boards with our bigs...

Reaction Score
I still think Cobb has a lot of upside, as does Carlton. I'd prefer to see less 3-guard looks to get two big men on the floor at the same time, even if it means we can't full-court press.

Our press has turned over the bad teams sporadically, but not the good teams. Might as well bang on the boards with our bigs...

I watched some of the Arizona game last night if we play 3 guard line ups in that one it will make Arkansas look like a solid effort.

By the way Sean Millers coaching ability needs to be questioned with that record and that talent. Bunch of good players, probably as talented of a roster as anyone maybe more.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I watched some of the Arizona game last night if we play 3 guard line ups in that one it will make Arkansas look like a solid effort.

By the way Sean Millers coaching ability needs to be questioned with that record and that talent. Bunch of good players, probably as talented of a roster as anyone maybe more.

Arizona has two really talented bigs. We're definitely going to have to match those guys with some big bodies and hopefully a hell of a lot of energy.

Let's leave them with the taste of UConn in their mouths...

Reaction Score

Not to get all Superjohn here but we should petition to play that Arizona game with a running clock or some kind of mercy rule. That's going to get out of hand.

Reaction Score
Not to get all Superjohn here but we should petition to play that Arizona game with a running clock or some kind of mercy rule. That's going to get out of hand.

Scared ****less of that one no doubt:confused:

Reaction Score

Do you understand the equation you just presented?

Polley - Carlton - Whaley are 4 year guy's who can develop and lead this Program into a Butler, Creighton, Gonzaga yada yada. Then ... immediately after ... you pose that Ollie can't develop. Shrug. WTH.

My opinion: Brimah was never going to develop skills we want. Facey did get far better - with an injury plagued JR year. Enoch & Durham, frankly, showed me poor attitude. IMHO ... these 3 are solid. And you're not going to keep them getting better with the crazy calls to pull out the Coaching staff. Kisunas too.

We are a DEVELOPMENT program. Today. And frankly, we genuinely have been for 30 years. The Rudy Gay Caron Butler deal was rare.

Reaction Score
Do you understand the equation you just presented?

Polley - Carlton - Whaley are 4 year guy's who can develop and lead this Program into a Butler, Creighton, Gonzaga yada yada. Then ... immediately after ... you pose that Ollie can't develop. Shrug. WTH.

My opinion: Brimah was never going to develop skills we want. Facey did get far better - with an injury plagued JR year. Enoch & Durham, frankly, showed me poor attitude. IMHO ... these 3 are solid. And you're not going to keep them getting better with the crazy calls to pull out the Coaching staff. Kisunas too.

We are a DEVELOPMENT program. Today. And frankly, we genuinely have been for 30 years. The Rudy Gay Caron Butler deal was rare.
I’m hopeful that he can as you know and want it to be him. A ways to go is all.

I’ve expressed my thoughts on Brimah and Facey way too much as well as feeling the same as you on the other transfers. And Kisunas I’m all in on think he will fit in very well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom